Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrading CPUs on a Mac Pro Nehalem

Upgrading CPUs on a Mac Pro Nehalem
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2009, 03:28 AM

AnandTech has a new article on the Mac Pro Nehalem.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3597

Highlights:
• benchmarks comparing the new oct 2.26 GHz to the older 3.0 GHz quad and octo MPs
• significant performance boosts with an Intel X25-M SSD
• DIY upgrade of the two 2.26 GHz Nehalems with 2.93 GHz models (unfortunately he didn't try putting an octo daughterboard in a 'quad' MP)
• Apple's custom Nehalems vs. standard Intel Nehalems -> No IHS (integrated heat spreader)
frying your $3299 Mac Pro - how he managed to destroy one 2.93 GHz Nehalem, a heat sink, and his CPU daughterboard (the daughterboard costs $400 if you return the old one to Apple)

The last part is really interesting. Entertaining too, especially when it's not your $2k.

( Last edited by Simon; Jul 14, 2009 at 03:37 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2009, 05:55 AM

He thinks he can't use his iSight anymore because there are no longer any FW400 ports. Can the iSight truly not use an adapter?

Great article, btw.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jul 14, 2009 at 06:10 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
He thinks he can't use his iSight anymore because there are no longer any FW400 ports.
The old external iSight seems to have some power issues. People have gotten it to work on new Macs with FW800 ports, but usually not when connected directly (with the appropriate cable or dongle), but rather by daisy-chaining it through another external FW device or an ACD.

I know a guy who got it to work on a new MP, but he attached it to the FW400 port of an external drive and then hooked up that drive to the MP with a FW800->FW400 cable.

I guess it's not FW800/FW400 per se that's the issue (it shouldn't be either), but rather the new ports not delivering enough power. An external device (drive, ACD, FW hub) with its own power supply might be able to overcome that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules