Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 5: Official Discussion Thread

iOS 5: Official Discussion Thread (Page 5)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2011, 11:35 AM

The jerkiness of that demo is allegedly due to a graphics driver specific to the A4 which isn't included with the ipsw for the 4S which was somehow hacked onto the 4.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 02:31 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
The jerkiness of that demo is allegedly due to a graphics driver specific to the A4 which isn't included with the ipsw for the 4S which was somehow hacked onto the 4.
Yes, i read that too. But the "demo" shows exactly zero functionality.

Is there an actual demo of Siri on the iPhone 4 anywhere?

I'm still trying to find out whether the A5 distinction is arbitrary or not.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm still trying to find out whether the A5 distinction is arbitrary or not.
Given that the actual processing of the AI takes place on an Apple server, I don't see how the A4 wouldn't be capable of Siri.

Gruber, again, has it right (most likely:

On this week’s Talk Show podcast, John Gruber looks at it a different way. He argues that since most of the processing and interpretation of the speech is happening on the server side with Apple (Siri only works with an active network connection), the company is hesitant to roll this out to all capable devices on day one for fear of serious performance issues when the servers are overloaded with requests from tens of millions of new Siri users giving it a spin. By only offering it to the 3 million or so new iPhone 4S owners, he argues, Apple has the opportunity to implement the service slowly and tweak things as they go.
Why is Siri only on the iPhone 4S? � the davis review

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Given that the actual processing of the AI takes place on an Apple server, I don't see how the A4 wouldn't be capable of Siri.

Gruber, again, has it right (most likely:

Why is Siri only on the iPhone 4S? � the davis review

-t

I think he's right too.

Apple has a TON on their plate with figuring out load related issues, testing the redundancy and failover systems of their infrastructure, etc. This is probably a very smart move for Apple.

If Siri is a cloud service, this means that it can only search personal data that you've shared to iCloud?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If Siri is a cloud service, this means that it can only search personal data that you've shared to iCloud?
Good question. I don't know how the interaction between Siri, iCloud and the locally stored information on your iPhone works.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2011, 06:30 PM

Gruber, again, has it right (most likely)
Certainly makes sense. Though, even if true, I'll be surprised if Apple releases it to anything older than the 4S.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2011, 06:31 PM

My question too. Can I tell it to play a song from the Music app if I don't have a network connection?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 16, 2011, 06:37 PM

Is it? I haven't seen any evidence of Siri running "well" on anything less than an A5.

I've seen one video where it'd been hacked to run on a 4, but that was horribly jerky, and no voice recognition/interpretation functionality at all was demoed.

Do you have a link to a real demo?
I haven't seen Siri run well on anything. It's slow as hell. Ya ya we all know how it works just sayin'... It's slow.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 16, 2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
This is the type of stuff I was talking about:

iMessaging confusion

This is at first confusing -- why can't I just have one central location for my Matt-messaging needs? -- but ultimately necessary if the thing is to work correctly. A message sent to Matt via iMessage won't get to his phone, and one sent via SMS won't get to his iPod Touch. You need to have two different methods of texting him, inelegant as it may be.

Too much confusion to iMessaging. By combining it with Messages, they've complexified it IMO, because it's not seamless. You have to remember a bunch of stupid configuration rules and stuff in order for it work, so arguably it's easier to just shut it off completely and just use SMS to make sure it always works, and that's what I've done. Like I said, iPad be damned.

And that still doesn't explain why people sending iMessages from their own iPhone to their own iPhone don't get it. A friend of mine has this exact issue. He tried to convince me that because he never receives iMessages from his own iPhone to his own iPhone number, it probably was intentional on Apple's part and that's the way it's supposed to work. (Maybe he thought Apple was trying to reduce redundancy?) So I tried sending an iMessage from my iPhone to my iPhone number and I get it just fine. Same procedure, but totally different results for the two of us.
Are you still blabbering off?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2011, 06:42 PM

^ U mad bro?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Are you still blabbering off?
Do you have a ****ing problem, freudling?

That's a pretty big usability detriment, there. This multiple-device madness is a serious issue that possibly won't be solved unless everybody buys an iPhone.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
My question too. Can I tell it to play a song from the Music app if I don't have a network connection?
No, Siri can't do anything w/o a network connection.

However, we don't know how much of the whole process is outsourced to the Cloud.
It might only be the part that's parsing the input, and the feeds it back to the iPhone to interact with the music. We simply don't know.

-t

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 17, 2011, 12:50 AM

Do you have a ****ing problem, freudling?

That's a pretty big usability detriment, there. This multiple-device madness is a serious issue that possibly won't be solved unless everybody buys an iPhone.
Screw you Spheric. LOL.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2011, 01:17 AM

He does have a ****ing problem

Oh, wait, freudling or Eug

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2011, 03:20 AM

I'm really liking it.

I said, "send email to grandma, hi grandma, I finally found a phone you can probably use".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2011, 08:17 AM

Screw you Spheric. LOL.
Why are you taking criticism of an Apple product so personally?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2011, 09:59 AM

Photostream is useless. You can't delete your own pictures, and it only works for 30 days.

For those who do decide to use it, this is gonna be hilarious with all the privacy issues that are going to pop up, considering Photostream also syncs across multiple devices.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2011, 10:26 AM

Photostream is useless. You can't delete your own pictures, and it only works for 30 days.

For those who do decide to use it, this is gonna be hilarious with all the privacy issues that are going to pop up, considering Photostream also syncs across multiple devices.
Were is the privacy issue if the other devices are all using your credentials?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2011, 11:20 AM

The privacy issues are that if you take a picture you don't want to share and it syncs before you delete it, then its hard to get rid of. Use your imagination for what sort of picture that might be.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Oct 17, 2011, 11:27 AM

No, Siri can't do anything w/o a network connection.
That's too bad. I can see for data searches etc, but if I just want to post a reminder to myself, or a calendar item, no network is needed right then. Sync can happen later. Even sending emails it would be good to dictate the email, then have it queue until network is reestablished.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2011, 12:00 PM

The privacy issues are that if you take a picture you don't want to share and it syncs before you delete it, then its hard to get rid of. Use your imagination for what sort of picture that might be.
To me that is a user error (as in accident) kind of a problem and not a privacy problem. I could accidentally email a picture to the wrong person as well. The difference here is that it is automatic and therefore much more likely to happen, but you still authorized both devices.

I do agree that there should be a way to delete individual photos in the photo stream. Considering you can now delete individual recent call entries this seems like a large oversight.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2011, 12:50 PM

Well, if you want to call it user error, at best it is still a terrible design, which currently is built to encourage "user error".

This type of design issue is something I'd expect from say some sort of 3rd party beta add-on written by a single developer in his home office.

iCloud’s Photo Syncing Is Terrible (And Creepy)
( Last edited by Eug; Oct 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2011, 01:06 PM

Sometimes good design is good because it makes life easier. Sometimes bad design is good because it encourages people to get smarter.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2011, 01:31 PM

Re: notification center

Has anyone noticed a considerable lag in changes to the notification center settings, and how they become effective ?

When I change some apps' notification settings from Banners to Alerts, it would still show Banners even 15 minutes after changing it. I don't know how long it'll take to "take" the changes, but it is quite a while.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
To me that is a user error (as in accident) kind of a problem and not a privacy problem.
How can you describe a service which makes it impossible for you to do something privately as not having a privacy problem?

I know now the service does this, so I either won't use it or I won't take pictures which need to be private. So, no accidents here, but still a privacy problem in my book.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2011, 08:12 PM

Hopefully Scarlett Johansson will get a 4S.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2011, 09:06 PM

It's not a privacy issue since Photostream only syncs to devices that are your own. I see how this could be a source of embarrassment at times when you hand your device to someone else for a moment. It should be possible to delete individual photos from the stream. That this is not possible is a major oversight.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2011, 09:12 PM

Okay. I was confused.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
It's not a privacy issue since Photostream only syncs to devices that are your own.
iPads are often family devices, even if Apple wants every member of the family to have his/her own, and iPads have no individual user accounts.

My imagined hilarity will ensue when the family teenager takes a couple of risqué pix on his/her iPhone for sexay emails, and dad picks up the iPad to see his kid in his/her birthday suit.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2011, 10:22 PM

It is not a given that iCloud is really secure/private at all at this point, unless Apple has stated that the traffic is all encrypted and this has been proven to be the case?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2011, 10:43 PM

MobileMe was, and iCloud seems to be using the exact same frameworks as MobileMe. But you are right in that we shouldn't assume anything and take unnecessary risks. More pictures of Scarlett Johansson would be such a terrible thing, after all.

Cold Warrior
Oct 17, 2011, 11:22 PM

It is not a given that iCloud is really secure/private at all at this point, unless Apple has stated that the traffic is all encrypted and this has been proven to be the case?
apple says it is. iCloud: iCloud security and privacy overview

As far as proven, I don't know. I suppose I could spend some time packet sniffing, but I'm sure there are professional security researchers looking at iCloud on iOS devices.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
apple says it is. iCloud: iCloud security and privacy overview

As far as proven, I don't know. I suppose I could spend some time packet sniffing, but I'm sure there are professional security researchers looking at iCloud on iOS devices.

It probably is, I don't mean to plant seeds of doubt as much as I wish to encourage novice users in particular to never just assuming that something is safe without a little research, seeking out advice, or some safer default.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2011, 09:03 PM

Has anyone else had their iOS5 device power off randomly? It's now happened to me twice. The first time I think was just due to my battery draining from approximately 50% down to nothing within a span of a half hour sitting on my desk, which seems to be a widespread and problematic issue, but today it shut down for no apparent reason while it had a charge of over 80%. It wouldn't respond to me trying to boot it using the power button alone and I had to do a hard reset on it. When it finally came back life it still showed an 82% charge....booooo.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2011, 09:15 PM

Not happened to me yet.

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2011, 09:28 PM

I'll send her one with iCloud photo sync turned on.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2011, 10:18 AM

Paste the URL to notes and then copy it from there.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2011, 12:22 PM

Huh?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2011, 03:06 PM

iPads are often family devices, even if Apple wants every member of the family to have his/her own, and iPads have no individual user accounts.

My imagined hilarity will ensue when the family teenager takes a couple of risqué pix on his/her iPhone for sexay emails, and dad picks up the iPad to see his kid in his/her birthday suit.
And the teenager owns the family iPad?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2011, 03:15 PM

Don't worry. Her Leica gear will do fine.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 19, 2011, 03:23 PM

Family devices?

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2011, 04:00 PM

Sorry. I found that if you copy an image URL then try to paste it elsewhere, it won't work. If you copy that same image, and post the URL in Notes, then copy the URL from there, you can then paste that URL in the appropriate place. This problem is on my iPad with iOS 5.

Try it the way you usually do it in iOS 4, then try it in iOS 5. iOS copies text with ease, but images don't paste unless you paste into Notes, then copy the text (URL).

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2011, 05:20 PM

Family devices?
If I have a family and I have an iPad, that iPad is more likely to be share across multiple users (ie: treated like the home computer)

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 19, 2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
If I have a family and I have an iPad, that iPad is more likely to be share across multiple users (ie: treated like the home computer)
Because you have X experience, therefore... generalize to the world? I'm just curious if that's your logic. Or, if you had some data that showed this, because if you do, maybe you could point it out? I haven't seen the data that supports this but would love to see it if it exists.

From the data I've seen, anybody and everybody is buying the iPad. All humans from like 5 years old and up to fossil age. Huge penetration in enterprise, etc. Maybe there's some new data though...

Thanks.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2011, 05:35 PM

I bought an iPad 1 for my mother who is almost 90.

-Allen

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2011, 05:37 PM

From the data I've seen, anybody and everybody is buying the iPad. All humans from like 5 years old and up to fossil age. Huge penetration in enterprise, etc. Maybe there's some new data though...
The point is that there are iPads in a lot of families, and due to the nature of the iPad, and the fact that it doesn't support multiple user accounts, the single iPad is shared among all family members.

Anecdotal, I know, but I have yet to meet a single family person where this wasn't the case (unless the iPad was purchased explicitly for business use).

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 19, 2011, 05:59 PM

Wow. First time using Calendar in OS X Lion. Maybe this existed in previous OS Xes. I went to add a quick event, and it said just type in naturally what you want to do.

So I typed, "Meeting at 4 pm this Friday". Bang, done.

There is no question in my mind Apple will build in Siri, and it will do all this crap via voice.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2011, 06:13 PM

Pretty sure thats new. And awesome.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2011, 11:21 PM

Because you have X experience, therefore... generalize to the world? I'm just curious if that's your logic. Or, if you had some data that showed this, because if you do, maybe you could point it out? I haven't seen the data that supports this but would love to see it if it exists.

Thanks.
Yes, iPads are being bought by all humans across all age groups. But, in my work as a user experience designer working on mobile applications, the use scenarios I'm seeing in a family situation is that iPad's are generally shared. There are exceptions, but, generally, many of the families I've spoken to aren't inclined to buy a $500 device for each member of the family, with families being less inclined the younger their children are. Unfortunately, the details of my research are proprietary to my employer.

I'd love to know the source of your data, if you can share. However, if your data is only saying that iPads are being bought by individuals across all age groups, this doesn't take into consideration family clusters where cost can climb rapidly. There will always be exceptions, but the norm I'm seeing in families with children under 10 is that iPads are shared devices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules