Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Trollish Behaviour

Trollish Behaviour
freudling
Banned
Nov 27, 2011, 07:30 PM

I recently got banned and had a look at things. What I see is too much trollish behaviour on MacNN Forums, and not enough real people who have the knowledge to speak of commenting.

In the Kindle Fire thread, I was one of the only individuals to have actually used the device, and said I thought it was a POS for a variety of reasons. I ended up being called a liar. Full of it. A tool. And a few other things. Most of the people in that thread had never used a Fire. How could anyone argue so vehemently with someone calling a device a POS without having tried it themselves?

The answer is that it fits the profile of trolling. People who just post for the sake of arguing. That there's no other real purpose that they have other than to argue with people on the Internet.

In the end, I got infractions and banned, whereas everyone else was allowed to carry on as usual. I'm thinking about just deleting my account and dusting this place. I do like a few people on here but can't agree with the way that things seem to be handled by moderators (Lateralus, you know who you are), and how much trolling there seems to be.
( Last edited by freudling; Nov 27, 2011 at 07:43 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2011, 07:48 PM

Cool story bro!

Pot calling the kettle black?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
In the Kindle Fire thread, I was one of the only individuals to have actually used the device
You can keep keep repeating things, freudling, and they don't somehow become true just because you are convinced they are and repeat them often enough to block out reality.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Cool story bro!

Pot calling the kettle black?
Apparently he's used the off-time to convince himself that EVERYBODY ELSE got banned from his online presence for jack-assery.

And now, he's returned to explain this revelation to all of us.

This will end well.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2011, 08:21 PM

You need to be willing to just shake your head, ignore them, and have conversations with the people who are being reasonable. the only thins worse than trollish behavior is feeding them.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Nov 27, 2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
You need to be willing to just shake your head, ignore them, and have conversations with the people who are being reasonable. the only thins worse than trollish behavior is feeding them.
Agreed.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2011, 10:00 PM

/me shakes head and pulls up lawn chair.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2011, 10:26 PM

freudling, I have no axe to grind with you or anything, but I think if you really think there are people trolling your ass part of this is because you are empowering them by taking the subject too seriously and dogmatically, and responding in kind. The only thing I remember from our past correspondence in one some sort of device thread is my perception that your arguments didn't seem very well formed (not because of the content but the manner in which you were making them) and you were getting emotional about something. I say, either sharpen the arguments so that you can walk away from those being unreasonable, or else take the subject less seriously.

You'd think the latter option would be easiest for most, but I guess there are a lot of people who get wrapped up in which device is the best. Sorry, my mind is still on the Galaxy S II ad thread and the sorts of demographic that that ad is designed for.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Nov 27, 2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
freudling, I have no axe to grind with you or anything, but I think if you really think there are people trolling your ass part of this is because you are empowering them by taking the subject too seriously and dogmatically, and responding in kind. The only thing I remember from our past correspondence in one some sort of device thread is my perception that your arguments didn't seem very well formed (not because of the content but the manner in which you were making them) and you were getting emotional about something. I say, either sharpen the arguments so that you can walk away from those being unreasonable, or else take the subject less seriously.

You'd think the latter option would be easiest for most, but I guess there are a lot of people who get wrapped up in which device is the best. Sorry, my mind is still on the Galaxy S II ad thread and the sorts of demographic that that ad is designed for.
The reality is that most of the people on the Fire thread had never even used it. Need I say more?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 02:24 AM

The reality is that most of the people on the Fire thread had never even used it. Need I say more?

Maybe so, but so what? It is no surprise that this place has its Apple fanboys and bias towards various technology. You'd get similar results if your thread was about Adobe Flash/Air.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 04:16 AM

Maybe so, but so what? It is no surprise that this place has its Apple fanboys and bias towards various technology. You'd get similar results if your thread was about Adobe Flash/Air.
Um, besson: freudling was arguing desperately that the Kindle Fire is a failure and sucks.

He was accusing everybody disagreed and claimed that the 7" form factor was viable of never having used one, despite the fact that several people in there OWN 7" tablets.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Um, besson: freudling was arguing desperately that the Kindle Fire is a failure and sucks.

He was accusing everybody disagreed and claimed that the 7" form factor was viable of never having used one, despite the fact that several people in there OWN 7" tablets.

Whatever, I don't really care, I'm not keeping score. My point remains.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 04:33 AM

Which is that if you come here arguing against the Fire, you're bound to be antagonized by the Applr fanboys?

(I agree; your earlier point still stands)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 05:06 AM

That there is going to be people here that have strong biases towards certain technology, around here strongly shaded by general Mac fandom.

To be blunt, platform fan wars have been going on for decades, I remember arguing Mac vs. Windows ganja back in high school, but for the life of me I can't fathom how those of you more experienced in this field (I'm assuming most of us) don't tire of this sort of thing?

Whatever, just use what you like and I'll do the same and we'll all be happy...

The only sorts of battles that are mildly worth the consternation are the Apple vs. Flash thing and the like, because these actually pave the way to new standards that change things for people that make stuff. The tablet du jour doesn't really, except for possibly new screen sizes and overall changes in market presence/dominance. New iterations of existing established products don't really change the landscape a great deal, so meh.

I also don't understand why people aren't more observant to the general patterns of technology. It takes years and years and years to really assess the success of a platform, because it takes years and years for technology to trickle down from digital hipsters who went ga ga over the product from day one to Joe Public, if the product is destined to do so. How often do the digital hipsters really make accurate predictions as to what the public will go for and be using when the dust settles after the new and shiny has worn off? Sometimes these sorts of predictions are easy to make, but most of them aren't. The mindset of Joe Public is pretty wacky at times.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2011, 06:04 AM

Actually I'm constantly surprised by the total lack of Apple fanboism on this forum. Massive discussions about Galaxy smartphones and WebOS tablets and now the fire. I've weighed in on a couple in the past but I looked at the Kindle thread growing and growing and thought "why is that even prompting discussion? I've never used a 7" tablet of any sort but I'm perfectly happy with my assumption that a 7" cheap-ass android tab is going to suck balls compared to an iPad or even an iPhone."
I don't even go into phone shops any more just in case one of the staff tries to show me an Android or Windows phone and I can't suppress my (perfectly logical) instinct to slap them hard across the face.
Those of you wasting your time arguing for non-apple kit (let alone wasting your money buying it) should be ashamed of yourselves.

Anyway, Freudling you should really just learn to ignore or embrace those threads.
We all do a little bit of trolling here when it comes to subjects we're passionate about. Whether its Besson talking about poop, eBuddy's immense republican rants, Sierradragon and SSDs or Peter's unending quest to post images of every hot chick ever captured on film/CCD in the hot babes thread. For examples of my own see above or check any recent theological debate or the thread about Burzynski in the PWL.
Just embrace your inner troll and try to have more fun with it!
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 06:26 AM

I don't think besson has read the threads that prompted freudling's ban. A handful of posts have been removed now, anyway.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2011, 06:27 AM

I recently got banned and had a look at things. What I see is too much trollish behaviour on MacNN Forums, and not enough real people who have the knowledge to speak of commenting.

In the Kindle Fire thread, I was one of the only individuals to have actually used the device, and said I thought it was a POS for a variety of reasons. I ended up being called a liar. Full of it. A tool. And a few other things. Most of the people in that thread had never used a Fire. How could anyone argue so vehemently with someone calling a device a POS without having tried it themselves?

The answer is that it fits the profile of trolling. People who just post for the sake of arguing. That there's no other real purpose that they have other than to argue with people on the Internet.

In the end, I got infractions and banned, whereas everyone else was allowed to carry on as usual. I'm thinking about just deleting my account and dusting this place. I do like a few people on here but can't agree with the way that things seem to be handled by moderators (Lateralus, you know who you are), and how much trolling there seems to be.
I moved over to Macrumors, much better place.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2011, 06:29 AM

PS, sometimes you do come off to strong in the regular lounge. We can get away with being strong in the PWL but in the normal lounge its easier to get banned.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
It's really not. Not by a long shot. Much more traffic, but a ton of clueless people as well, worse than anything we have here. If that's where you're going, though, I'm happy you're happy. Maybe we should throw you some sort of going away party. Note: I'm not trying to be a jerk with this post.

As for freudling, I can see he learned a lot from his short term time-out.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2011, 11:09 AM

Whether or not you've used a device doesn't mean you can know whether or not it will be a commercial success.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Nov 28, 2011, 12:44 PM

I'm outta this place. Is there a way to delete an account?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Nov 28, 2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I don't think besson has read the threads that prompted freudling's ban. A handful of posts have been removed now, anyway.
And what posts were those? 2 posts, not a handful, and they were summaries of reviews of the Fire, nothing more. But you make it sound as if you:

1. Know what the posts were;
2. That they were malicious or something to that effect. That's false.

Go away.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 12:46 PM

Proud of you.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's really not. Not by a long shot. Much more traffic, but a ton of clueless people as well, worse than anything we have here. If that's where you're going, though, I'm happy you're happy. Maybe we should throw you some sort of going away party. Note: I'm not trying to be a jerk with this post.

As for freudling, I can see he learned a lot from his short term time-out.
oh no no no, now that we are friends or at least not enemies I plan to stick around to socialize

But its nice offering help to clueless people though over there.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 01:41 PM

And what posts were those? 2 posts, not a handful, and they were summaries of reviews of the Fire, nothing more. But you make it sound as if you:

1. Know what the posts were;
2. That they were malicious or something to that effect. That's false.

Go away.
So you were banned, while I was not.

Why do you think you were banned?

OreoCookie
Nov 28, 2011, 01:43 PM

I'm outta this place. Is there a way to delete an account?
We don't delete users (at least I haven't heard of a case where we have). If you want us to ban your account, just contact us by pm. But honestly, I don't think it's necessary: if you don't feel like coming anymore, then simply don't visit forums.macnn.com.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Agree.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Nov 28, 2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
We don't delete users (at least I haven't heard of a case where we have). If you want us to ban your account, just contact us by pm. But honestly, I don't think it's necessary: if you don't feel like coming anymore, then simply don't visit forums.macnn.com.
Ok.

All the best to everyone.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 02:46 PM

G-d speed, freudling. No ill will on my end (I don't know about yours).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 03:28 PM

Now that that has been settled I'd hate to see a good thread go to waste.

How about we make this thread about the chuk-a-chukaaaaa, oooohhhh yyeeaaahhh song that appears in so many 80s movies?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 03:58 PM

Here you go besson: Oh Yeah (Yello). [Video removed as requested by mod.]

Somewhat disturbing, that video. . . I wasn't watching closely. Is it really strongly suggestive? I just thought the guys were creepy looking. . .
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 28, 2011 at 05:46 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 04:01 PM

My favorite part of that video:

OHHHH YEAAHHH....

ooo ohhh ohhhh...

chukk... chukk.. chukkk a chickachickaaaa!!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2011, 04:18 PM

Here you go besson: <clip removed per OP>
Somewhat disturbing, that video. . .
Somewhat? Try very disturbing.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Nov 29, 2011 at 01:11 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 04:26 PM

For some reasons it makes me laugh at the possibility of there being old Jewish rabbis in that video.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2011, 04:39 PM

Now im thinking of the Kool-Aid guy crashing through walls

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2011, 05:18 PM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 05:23 PM

For some reasons it makes me laugh at the possibility of there being old Jewish rabbis in that video.
There are? I didn't hang in for that part.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 06:28 PM

Movies that feature the Oh Yeah song:

- Ferris Bueller
- The Secret to My Success (Michael J. Fox)
- John Candy movies
- pornos

Movies that definitely don't feature the Oh Yeah song:

- Clockwork Orange
- Schindler's List
- Troll 2

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 06:29 PM

There are? I didn't hang in for that part.

If you find any let me know!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2011, 01:30 PM

It's really not. Not by a long shot. Much more traffic, but a ton of clueless people as well, worse than anything we have here.
Despite the fact this forum is "teh dying!1!" I still consider the vast majority of members here to be some of the most knowledgeable tech heads I've ever run into anywhere on the web. Not once in 10 years has a problem of mine gone un-helped.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2011, 01:34 PM

That's because we are the smartest group of Techs

Intelligence goes hand and hand with arrogance

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Despite the fact this forum is "teh dying!1!" I still consider the vast majority of members here to be some of the most knowledgeable tech heads I've ever run into anywhere on the web. Not once in 10 years has a problem of mine gone un-helped.
Yeah, our Forums are pretty awesome, aside from them ZOMG dying and all.

I should also point out that there are some very knowledgeable people over at MR. I saw one highly technical production thread there about a year back. So I'm not saying they're all dummies, but there are a lot of idiots there and a relatively low "signal to noise ratio" in most of their threads.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 29, 2011 at 03:15 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules