Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Ethernet Bridge to Wireless

View Poll Results: Problem exists where?
Poll Options:
Bridge settings? 0 votes (0%)
Computer settings? 0 votes (0%)
Proxy? 1 votes (100.00%)
PEBKAC 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll
Ethernet Bridge to Wireless
Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2013, 12:57 AM

Can't seem to get this to work.

I have a router which I have zero access to which I want to create an ethernet bridge to a wireless router. Muddying the water further the gateway router also requires proxies to operate (not sure if this terminology is true here). Basically I want to add a wireless hotspot to our work environment.

I have a Linksys WAG320N which I am setting to bridge mode. I am also changing ethernet 1 to being a WAN port do I can set the IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway address. When I look at the status on the wireless router/bridge it looks like it is connected (but I am not sure if it populating from the info I am inputing earlier). My computer can see the wireless router and I can connect to make the settings changes as required. What I can not do though is get an internet connection (either via ethernet or wireless) through the wireless router/bridge.

I can set up the computer directly to the gateway router and put in all the relevant info to get it to work so the spare port on the gateway router is live and ready for business.

I am leaning towards proxy issues but am not sure where I enter this info - is it set at computer level or bridge level? And if on the bridge, where about?

Hawp!

TIA.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

ibook_steve
Mar 13, 2013, 03:51 AM

From your description, I'm a little confused about your network setup and what exactly you are trying to do. Looking at the web page for the device you mentioned (Linksys WAG320N Dual-Band Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Gigabit Router), this looks like a standard wireless router/modem for DSL. The "WAN" port needs a DSL phone line connection. Are you perhaps mistaking this for a standard wifi router that has ethernet on the WAN port instead of DSL?

Can you describe your network a little better?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Ω  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2013, 07:08 AM

My setup is this.

I have a router that is ethernet only which I have no control over. I have an ethernet port that I can attach a wireless router to. Non wireless router + wireless router means no crappy cables all over the place if I can make it work. At this stage I can connect directly to the workplace router, but I would like it so I can connect wirelessly through a router/bridge that I am not using at the moment.

Basically I have a locked down router That I want to attach a bridge to so I can go wireless.

Forgive the grammar but ipad typing is "hard work"

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2013, 02:16 PM

Combo modem/routers have been quite difficult to work with in my experience.

basically, all you need to do is assign a static IP to the WAG320N, connect the line from locked down router to one of the yellow ports on the WAG320N, disable the modem, disable DHCP, match the subnet, and set the locked down router's address as the gateway. These are the steps I have done quite a lot for converting a wireless router into a simple AP (though I've never done this to a combo DSL modem/router).

I have no idea what the settings in the WAG320N look like. if you could provide some screenshots, I might be able to help further, but those are the important settings. The proxies shouldn't cause a problem (I think) because the AP just passes the traffic (wireless or wired) to the locked down router.

Ω  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2013, 01:59 AM

Sorry for the belated response I have been on holiday and this weekend is the first chance I have had for ages to dedicate time to it. Will hopefully report back with good news!

Forum Links
Forum Rules