Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > HELP: my son spilled milk .....

HELP: my son spilled milk .....
dmcnickle
Senior User
Sep 11, 2005, 09:46 PM

my teenage son spilled milk next to his mini. He didn't think that the milk got inside the CD insert - the opening does not look wet and I cannot hear any milk moving around if I tip the mini.
When he was cleaning up the milk and lifting up the mini, it shut off and we cannot get it started again.
I unplugged all the cords and replugged them in.
I held down the power button for about 5 seconds and nothing.

Any ideas?

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2005, 12:07 AM

Yes. I have an idea that any posts made to this question will be of absolutely no help.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 13, 2005, 12:30 AM

Yeah. Call Applecare, or take to your nearest Apple Store and sign into the genius bar.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2005, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by dmcnickle
When he was cleaning up the milk and lifting up the mini, it shut off and we cannot get it started again.
I unplugged all the cords and replugged them in.
I held down the power button for about 5 seconds and nothing.

Any ideas?
In such cases, you must immediately shut down and unplug the machine before taking any other action. Then you start cleaning as much as you can, and leave it dry (or use a hair drier to accelerate). Then you can try to restart the machine.

But by the look of things, you might already have damaged the poor mini.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 07:25 AM

I don't know about you, but I'd start crying...

I think you need to take it apart and check for damage. Unpowered, you can try cleaning everything but the HD with deionized waster or 90% isopropyl alcohol. Do not power up until completely dry.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

walkerjs
Sep 13, 2005, 11:14 AM

I have recovered my wireless keyboard after a liquid spill that didn't make it to the Mini itself by disassembling it and giving it a thourough cleaning with compressed air and wipes, followed by 24 hours of drying. I suppose you could try that to recover the computer, but your chances are at best 50-50 depending on how invasive the liquid was and how long the computer was turned on after the spill.

It is for this reason that my Mini is elevated from my desk with crosshatched chopsticks. Any spilled liquid will run under the mini giving me time to shut down and quickly extract it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules