Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > WoW Performance on MBP...

WoW Performance on MBP...
Cedar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 06:17 PM

Not exacly stellar. I do like a good WoW-a-thon now and again, but the preformace on my brand new MBP is very disapointing for the hardware within.

Am I missing something here?

I have the 2.4ghz w/ 8600mGT and 2GB DDR 677 RAM. Wich all-in-all means I should be able to play it at full settings even with it being underclocked.

Keep note I didn't buy this laptop to game on... Yet i'm sure we all know that it's nice to have a bit of free time burned playing a game.

Any suggestions? Anything is appreciated.

Cheers-
-Cedar

Skip_Intro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 10:40 PM

Is WOW a universal binary? If not, then that's why.

I tried an old version of Halo on mine, but it was unplayable.

HoOn
Jul 11, 2007, 10:48 PM

I installed WOW on my MBP 2.4GHz in XP and it took FOREVER to install. I've installed WOW on a PC before and it's usually slow but installing it on an MBP was painfully very slow. It runs fine though with full settings and the FPS constantly stays around 60.

- JOhn

jtrwallace
Jul 12, 2007, 12:24 AM

i played it on the last rev powerbook and i had it on pretty high settings with no faults... its probably something specific to your computer

Cedar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 12:34 AM

Aha, maybe it's because I didn't update my Macbook when I first got it (About 9 hours ago) Updating as we speak, lets hope for the best!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 07:04 AM

I play WoW a lot (too much even) on my MBP and never had any problems, even when connected to an international line. I would suggest raising the book or using a cooling as you start to lose frames when it gets too warm.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Cedar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 02:10 PM

Well, I run at a locked 30FPS, never goes over, never goes under 25.... I presumed it was a faulty vsync capped at 30 but after turning it off, I relized it was just an odd occurance. I'm happy with the performace, sure, 30 frames is playable for an MMO.

Just out of curiousity, how much of a difference in performace would it make if I were to set it to better battery life instea of performace (As I would love to play on-the-go).

Cheers-
-Cedar

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 12:28 AM

WoW works great on mine. I have a 15" MBP 2.33 with 2 Gig of ram. It works awesome in full screen mode and in windowed mode....You know, so I can play at work and quickly hit Apple H when someone comes into my office.... err.... I mean someone who's not me does that...

HoOn
Jul 19, 2007, 08:20 AM

Yes WOW plays great but did it take a longer than normal to install the game?
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

Xarthan
Jul 19, 2007, 10:55 AM

i was able to pull off 60-70 fps under os x with high settings in the BE starting area. not-windowed with a 2.4
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 11:29 AM

I don't remember it taking longer than anything else I have ever installed. Games typically take longer than say productivity apps to install anyway. I'm not typing to be mean by this - Once it's installed, why does it matter how long it took to install? Ok... unless it took like hours to install... then I'd be going ..uh..."Why's this taking so long? Does this software control the Space Shuttle or something?"

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jul 29, 2007, 12:03 AM

Played it on the 2.2Ghz new MBP and it runs with everything maxed from 60-80fps, older areas above 100 fps. Awesome performance!
iMac G4 / Macbook

howardholton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 10:29 PM

There is a Universal update for WoW. Make sure you are running the latest version of the app. If I remember correctly, the install took forever, but with the universal update it ran really, really well. (I sold my MBP, or else I would check.)
Please help!! I am trying to ditch Wintel He11 for OS X and am a MAC newbie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules