Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Transparent Menubar Theme

Transparent Menubar Theme
Frogout7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2004, 02:16 PM

I'm new to shapeshifter and the forums here and i have been looking around for a theme that has transparency in the menubar. I did not come across any. But while browsing, i found this:

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Anyone want to make bets on new/improved features? I'v got 5 bucks on transparency in the menubar. Any takers?

everyone here owes me 5 bucks
So I'm pretty sure it's possible, but are there any themes? or can someone make one?'
I've never used ThemePark or anything like that, but as a last resort, i would try.

Please help a noob in need!

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2004, 02:20 PM

The feature was just added, so no themes have taken advantage of it yet. I doubt anyone is going to add transparency arbitrarily just because they can, so if you want a theme to have a transparent menubar you're going to have to mod it yourself. It's easy.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2004, 04:00 PM

If I make a transparent menu bar mod, will I still have a shadow up there? Will I be able to move the windows over that area?

Just curious...

R

smeger
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by G0Ducks:
If I make a transparent menu bar mod, will I still have a shadow up there? Will I be able to move the windows over that area?
Yes. No.

And if you make it 100% transparent, you won't be able to click in the menubar - you'll need to make it like 90% transparent instead, which is fine.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2004, 04:29 PM

Bah, smeger replied while I was playing. I'm posting anyway.

loren s
Senior User
Oct 31, 2004, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by justinp:

thata looks wrong the shadow has to go away, or auto hide or change shape

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 12:54 AM

Deskshade can get rid of menubar shadows, but it hides your desktop icons also. Not necessarily a bad trade-off.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

Weezer
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
Deskshade can get rid of menubar shadows, but it hides your desktop icons also. Not necessarily a bad trade-off.
no way, desktop icons are money

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Weezer:
Indeed. Having your icons is absolutely necessary.
Does this program get in the way of FruitMenu? If not, then this is a viable substitute. However, for people who just have to have their icons and eat 'em too, SOMEBODY, for all our sakes, should make this happen...

I would, save that I haven't the foggiest on how to code and stuff. Which "language" would I need to study anyway? This might be a great "in" into this ever-growing world of customization.

R

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Weezer:
Then I must be a billionaire.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 01:28 PM

ok, I now how it can be done, easy as pie.
I will make a theme with only the menubar modified to make it transparent, then you all will need to get the GuiShade widget created by JustinP to hide the shadow under the menubar.

I am willing to mod themes to make them have transparent menubars for you guys. but distribution only by email cause of copyright stuff.

I thought I remembered JustinP telling me that the widget didn't work right when your desktop was a different size than your screen resolution, but its working fine for me. Maybe he fixed it, I'm just warning you just in case.

Im now taking requests for transparent menus.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 01:46 PM

The widget will not display the image properly if the source is not the same resolution as your display (in my testing it did not, at least... this is why it was rejected from the widget gallery). However, you may not notice this depending on the image you're using as a wallpaper.

There is also an issue with displaying color (DeskShade has the exact same issue but you don't notice it because it covers your entire desktop instead of just a portion of it). Any color image used with the original script will appear to have a slight desaturation. How noticable this is depends on the image. This can be solved by editing the widget to display an image you create to correct the problem.

It's not the optimal solution but it gets the job done.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 01:52 PM

The widget will not display the image properly if the source is not the same resolution as your display (in my testing it did not, at least... this is why it was rejected from the widget gallery). However, you may not notice this depending on the image you're using as a wallpaper.

There is also an issue with displaying color (DeskShade has the exact same issue but you don't notice it because it covers your entire desktop instead of just a portion of it). Any color image used with the original script will appear to have a slight desaturation. How noticable this is depends on the image. This can be solved by editing the widget to display an image you create to correct the problem.

It's not the optimal solution but it gets the job done.
I used to believe all that, but I just tested it with a buttload of images, all different sizes and it worked flawlessly.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 02:17 PM

I think this looks really cool. I'd rather have it fade from black to blue, but I suppose you could do that w/o the transparency too. But still, nice.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
I used to believe all that, but I just tested it with a buttload of images, all different sizes and it worked flawlessly.
I have no idea then. Different aspect ratios perhaps? I have a widescreen display...

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 03:09 PM

I have no idea then. Different aspect ratios perhaps? I have a widescreen display...
oh, lucky bastard. I'm stuck with a eMac.

C o r p
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2004, 02:42 AM

I was trying to mod swiz's jetblack to have a slightly transparent menu bar but i can't figure out how to make the apple transparent. I saved the apple as a tiff with transparency and then copied it into tpark. I did the same thing for the menubar fill and end caps. After a fresh load of the mod, i can tell the apple isn't transparent. When i click on it, it becomes even more noticeable . What's going on here?

picture

C o r p
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2004, 04:25 AM

Originally posted by C o r p:
I was trying to mod swiz's jetblack to have a slightly transparent menu bar but i can't figure out how to make the apple transparent. I saved the apple as a tiff with transparency and then copied it into tpark. I did the same thing for the menubar fill and end caps. After a fresh load of the mod, i can tell the apple isn't transparent. When i click on it, it becomes even more noticeable . What's going on here?

picture

Any ideas?

edit: here's another picture picture 2
( Last edited by C o r p; Nov 4, 2004 at 04:33 AM. )

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 4, 2004, 08:26 AM

It didnt work because the currently available JetBlack doesnt use any transparency behind the unclicked Apple menu. JetBlack 1.5 does though so you wont have any trouble with it when it is released.

Edit-
Actually I just tried it and indeed when you click on the Apple menu even with a fully transparent Apple menu background it leaves the menu title selection graphic after you click it. hmmmmm.
( Last edited by swiz; Nov 4, 2004 at 08:36 AM. )

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2004, 11:30 AM

Yep, I just tried it with images ranging in size from 1024x768-1600x1200 with no anomalies whatsoever.

This widget is awesome! I can't believe I've never seen it around here......... I think it needs an [ANN] thread. I would have much rather used this than paying for DS+ and all of its worthless bloat.

TMac4Life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2004, 07:22 PM

Has anyone made a transparent menu bar theme yet? I would do it, but I am a novice themer

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by TMac4Life:
Has anyone made a transparent menu bar theme yet? I would do it, but I am a novice themer
What, exactly, do you think this thread is about? Try reading it.

TMac4Life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
What, exactly, do you think this thread is about? Try reading it.
No **** Sherlock. It seemed almost done a few days ago. I thought someone might have made something by now

C o r p
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2004, 08:31 PM

No **** Sherlock. It seemed almost done a few days ago. I thought someone might have made something by now
I tried too but I think there is a bug with the transparency of the apple (see my post above).

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by C o r p:
I tried too but I think there is a bug with the transparency of the apple (see my post above).
That had been an issue with the betas, I can't remember if that one was fully resolved with the final.
click one

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 12:00 AM

I love the font! What is it?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2004, 12:30 AM

HandelMod, it's a mod of HandelGotDLig

TMac4Life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2004, 07:27 PM

My menubar longs to be transparent

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2004, 08:37 PM

My menubar longs to be transparent
Mine too. I don't think unsanitary has any interest in this feature / idea. It would be nice to hear it from the horses mouth though. It would be a shame to have to wait another year to get this feature in SS 3.0

R

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2004, 09:07 PM

Mine too. I don't think unsanitary has any interest in this feature / idea. It would be nice to hear it from the horses mouth though. It would be a shame to have to wait another year to get this feature in SS 3.0

R
WTF?

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 6, 2004, 10:36 PM

R
Try reading the thread this time. It has already been implemented, and it did come from the horses mouth.

Again, wtf?

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2004, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by Fusion:
Try reading the thread this time. It has already been implemented, and it did come from the horses mouth.

Again, wtf?
Sorry, I guess what I should have said is that Unsanity does not seem to have any interest in creating an APE that completely hides the Menu Bar like barmaid.
This is a bummer to me as it seems that this would be a really cool thing to have. And since it has been almost done in a number of different ways, It is a shame (to me) that this hasn't come out yet.

I apologize for the need for "wtf"...

R

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 7, 2004, 11:38 AM

Sorry, I guess what I should have said is that Unsanity does not seem to have any interest in creating an APE that completely hides the Menu Bar like barmaid.
This is a bummer to me as it seems that this would be a really cool thing to have. And since it has been almost done in a number of different ways, It is a shame (to me) that this hasn't come out yet.

I apologize for the need for "wtf"...

R
Haha, no worries. That would be interesting to autohide the menu bar, I wonder how many people would use it. Was barmaid ever released or did it just stay around in email circulation?

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2004, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Fusion:
Haha, no worries. That would be interesting to autohide the menu bar, I wonder how many people would use it. Was barmaid ever released or did it just stay around in email circulation?
Yeah, I think that it was "released" but it shouldn't have been. The guy should have chosen some beta testers, then reworked it, then released it... As it stands now, it has a big memory leek or something cause the system slows down after a few hours of use, and apparently if you look in the activity monitor it takes a huge amount of resources.
One would think that with all of the posts made about BarMaid in this forum the guy would have responded by now. I know I sure would have.

I have used barmaid a few times for a week or so and I really love it save the above problems. Why only a few times for a week or so? Because of the above problems. Having the menu bar act the way BarMaid makes it act is so nice. I think that if people had the ability to try a nonsystemhog version, they would consider it to be like FruitMenu... Simply a Just Can't Live Without Haxie

My 2 cents.

R

Forum Links
Forum Rules