Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes Song Naming

iTunes Song Naming
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2001, 07:26 PM

Quick iTunes question... How can I make it display the file names in the iTunes player, rather than what the ID3 tag tells it [about each file]? I have all my MP3s labeled the same way, but the ID3 info of each file is often completely different. Thanks and gig 'em!
Apple user since 1987

caifara
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2001, 09:09 AM

I don't think you can.
Maybe you can write an applescript which copies the name of the file into the id3 tag for name.
-c
-c

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2001, 02:40 AM

I found it by just guessing... select the song name in your library, then hit Command+I (letter "i"). I figured this would show info just like in the ol' finder.

Here you can see detailed info, edit tags, as well as even adjust volume for the track.

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2001, 02:57 PM

In the itunes window , highlight the song in question then go to, file/get info,click on tags and rename.
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2001, 05:22 PM

Wow, Aussiemac. That's great! You're the first person that's pointed out that feature to me. And as matter of fact, I think that if you just click on one aspect of the song name in the iTunes window, then move the cursor a bit, it will let you change it right there! The only thing is, I have about 2000 MP3s and that takes way too long to do. I've already done all that mess to the file names and if it'd just use those in the first place, all would be good. Any ideas on how to make it do that? Thanks.
Apple user since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules