Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's the Bestest, Cheapest, Fluid Head Video Tripod?

What's the Bestest, Cheapest, Fluid Head Video Tripod?
abe
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 06:12 PM

I was watching these videos, or should I say TRYING to watch them and the camera work of the individuals is just God **** AWFUL.

Partially due to lack of technique. And partially because it looks like they are using a tripod (in the top video) made for still photography.

G2 Solutions Analyst Notes, Aerospace News Review & Market Commentary

What is your choice of the CHEAPEST best fluid head tripod (head & sticks) combo for commercial video use?

I know you will ask me for what application and I will just say, like for weddings.

Mobility, not too heavy but carbon fiber is NOT necessary. 5 lb camera.

Need to be able to make long slow smooth pans, mostly, and multi directional follow or tilts, occasionally.

$300 or less.

Other features are nice but the ability to produce smooth, steady images is the #1 priority and the #2 priority is the lowest price. Everything else is gravy or unimportant.

Used is ok. Links are appreciated. Time frame for acquisition is not urgent.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2008, 01:57 AM

I use to have one. You can get them fairly resaonable from ebay.

One thing I looked for in a replacement tripod was weight. It's no fun carrying a heavy tripod. Look for something made of carbon fiber for strength and low weight. You can hang your camera bag on the tripod center hook for stability.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2008, 02:48 AM

I think reason the panning on that video sucks is because it's not a human panning the camera, it's a machine. No human would do such a poor job keeping the object of interest in frame.

ImpulseResponse

CIA
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2008, 03:20 AM

Manfrotto 503, Under $300, very good.
Dunno about sticks....
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Forum Links
Forum Rules