Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What do you pay for a haircut?

What do you pay for a haircut? (Page 4)
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
That's what happens. The dishwashers quit and do something else. So you get a whole bunch of immigrants doing crap jobs like this because the locals don't want to do it. However, the immigrants get paid crap, because the restaurant managers won't hire an ugly guy with a strong accent to wait tables.
It's the Circle, the Circle of Life

Isn't that why immigrants aren't stealing our jobs? A dishwasher is an unskilled job, and is paid as such. Should we be surprised overqualified people hate the job? Isn't what you described how the job market is supposed to work?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2008, 12:52 PM

Doof, would you tip on a vacation to America? Please say yes.
ice

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 01:00 PM

Yes I would Icy.

I don't agree with the concept at all (pay 'em a decent wage to start with, ffs) but when in Rome...
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I think Dakar is hitting it spot on.

Dealing with people can suck. Dishes don't talk **** to you(though a chef will!). They don't snap their fingers at you. They don't bring your income down because they chose to pay you less(like a spiteful guest/customer could).
I find some waiters talk **** to dishwashers and busboys just as much as customers talk **** to waiters. And yes, they snap their fingers at them.

Dishwashing is completely mindless. Serving 40 people with 3 waiters and 4 courses with cake cutting and polished-glass wine service isn't quite. It's certainly not installing printers for rocket scientists, but it isn't quite mindless. At the very least, it requires personality.
Well, polished-glass wine service isn't diner stuff. I agree. Often times that requires real knowledge: What techniques are used for certain dishes, appropriately matched items, knowledge about wine, etc.

*oh, she's also a hair cutting person.(to keep it on topic)
Nice, but who is she?

P.S. I wish salons would include a small scalp massage with all shampoos, but they don't. I really don't understand why I can go to some cheap place in Chinatown and get a nice haircut for under $20 including shampoo, scalp massage, and blow dry, but if I go to a high-priced salon, they charge you $100 for the exact same thing... with no scalp massage... and still feel they deserve a 15% tip.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2008, 01:09 PM

She's a coworker, that's where I work. That was yesterday in 30mph wind.

That's the only thing I miss about getting my hair cut in a salon, was getting shampoo'd by a hot female.

And true, the argument could go on for ever, with everyone thinking about a different "type" of restaurant in their mind, or forgetting that I'm talking about the 'States.

And of course I agree Doofy. I'm not out picketing for higher wages, but I do agree. And when in Rome
ice

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I have been chased out of a restaurant in China because the waitress thought I had left my money behind. Tipping in China does not happen, please don't anyone start.
So, what you're saying is, "Tipping is most definitely NOT a city in China"?

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 01:28 PM

And having done both, I think the wait staff in diners and low end restaurants think too much of their "skills" and too little of their kitchen staff brethren. I guarantee you that 80% of the waitresses I've dealt with wouldn't survive a week as a dishwasher.
Probably because it's a dirty, smelly, nasty job that requires you to be soaked for 8+ hours. It's not hard work, it's easier than waiting tables (I've done both in a high dollar establishment), but it's only appealing to those who have strong constitutions and little regard for appearance.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Railroader
Banned
Sep 9, 2008, 09:54 PM

Since the topic has changed to tipping [I think the haircut topic has played out], I usually tip about 15% for food or at bars I don't plan to return to.

But t places I regularly frequent, I tip about 30%. And at one bar we used to go to every Thursday night, my friends and I usually tipped 40-50%. We got THE best service, we got to sample new beers for free. We got "mistakes". Normally, when there weren't man people in the bar they'd close early, but even if it was two of us they'd stay open 'till 2:30am (which is the latest allowed by law). And one time, on my birthday, two of the waitress took me and a few friends out and paid for the whole night. And that night started around 1pm and lasted until 2am. That tab had to be +$500.

Tipping has its rewards. Remember, those waitstaff don't have 401Ks, health insurance, and often share their tips with busboys and bartenders.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 09:59 PM

Go figure. You give them more money, and they give you "free" drinks.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 10:00 PM

So tonight I take the family to a favorite Mexican restaurant, and they are celebrating their 5th anniversary and have a Mariachi band playing. One of the band members had a little sign that says "tips." They played at our table and I felt obliged to give them a tip, but geez, I didn't ask them to play, and I didn't know they would be there, and I sure didn't know what's appropriate since there's no percent to calculate.

I gave them $5.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 10:02 PM

I can't stand musicians that play at your table when you don't want them to.

So, I try to avoid restaurants that have wandering minstrels. They're just too irritating.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 10:03 PM

Alright. We get the point.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 9, 2008, 10:13 PM

You get your drinks first, You get a better drink, You get a drink made special for you without having to ask, you get the waitress' attention sooner, you get their gratitude for a person who cares about other people, you get perks other customers don't get, you get preferential treatment and better seating, and oh yes, you get "free" food and drinks.

You also make someone feel better who usually gets treated like crap or a servant. Priceless.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 9, 2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
So tonight I take the family to a favorite Mexican restaurant, and they are celebrating their 5th anniversary and have a Mariachi band playing. One of the band members had a little sign that says "tips." They played at our table and I felt obliged to give them a tip, but geez, I didn't ask them to play, and I didn't know they would be there, and I sure didn't know what's appropriate since there's no percent to calculate.

I gave them $5.
Now these are people I do NOT tip. I made that mistake once. Tip them, and they'll never leave. Never again!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You get your drinks first, You get a better drink, You get a drink made special for you without having to ask, you get the waitress' attention sooner, you get their gratitude for a person who cares about other people, you get perks other customers don't get, you get preferential treatment and better seating, and oh yes, you get "free" food and drinks.

You also make someone feel better who usually gets treated like crap or a servant. Priceless.
Personally, I'd rather just pay known prices for what I really want. If I go to a place that treats its customers like sh!t, then I go elsewhere. And it's not as if I usually want 5 extra drinks anyway.

Now these are people I do NOT tip. I made that mistake once. Tip them, and they'll never leave. Never again!
I guess you don't really care how these people get treated after all.

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
It's the Circle, the Circle of Life

Isn't that why immigrants aren't stealing our jobs? A dishwasher is an unskilled job, and is paid as such. Should we be surprised overqualified people hate the job? Isn't what you described how the job market is supposed to work?
Are you really trying to suggest waiting tables is skilled labour?

Railroader
Banned
Sep 9, 2008, 10:31 PM

Personally, I'd rather just pay known prices for what I really want. If I go to a place that treats its customers like sh!t, then I go elsewhere. And it's not as if I usually want 5 extra drinks anyway.
You're reading way too much into this. I usually frequent upscale places. Places that don't have bud-light on tap.

You know, there have been nights I paid for 2 drinks and got 5 free ones. I'll take em! Do you think mr.-strict-10%-tipper is going to get free drinks?

I guess you don't really care how these people get treated after all.
Apples and oranges.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 10:36 PM

You're reading way too much into this. I usually frequent upscale places. Places that don't have bud-light on tap.

You know, there have been nights I paid for 2 drinks and got 5 free ones. I'll take em! Do you think mr.-strict-10%-tipper is going to get free drinks?
I've been to places like that too. I find them obnoxious. I prefer to go to places that treat all their (reasonable) customers well.

But then again, I don't frequent bars. If I'm going to be spending a good chunk of change, it will be at a nice restaurant. And if that nice restaurant can't give good service or gets annoyed with a reasonable tip, then I don't go back. Their loss.

As for drinks, if I want two drinks, I buy two drinks. I don't want seven.

Apples and oranges.
Not really.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2008, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Yes I would Icy.

I don't agree with the concept at all (pay 'em a decent wage to start with, ffs) but when in Rome...
I agree - pay a decent wage to begin with.

And for the record, I've worked dishwasher, busboy, and waiter. It's been 12 years since I last did it, but I don't forget it.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 10, 2008, 12:47 AM

I've been to places like that too. I find them obnoxious. I prefer to go to places that treat all their (reasonable) customers well.
But then again, I don't frequent bars.
If I'm going to be spending a good chunk of change, it will be at a nice restaurant. And if that nice restaurant can't give good service or gets annoyed with a reasonable tip, then I don't go back. Their loss.
As for drinks, if I want two drinks, I buy two drinks. I don't want seven.
Not really.
You know, I had a reply all typed out, but in the end, I am not going to convince you of anything. I've had conversations with you before that went on and on and didn't get anywhere.

Good day.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 04:47 AM

I paid $20 tonight and got a free beer to boot. My hairdresser will also do touch ups for free. All without ever tipping. Strange.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2008, 10:45 AM

I know a few people that go here. A beer, a game of pool, and a haircut.

http://www.mankindformen.com/index.htm
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I paid $20 tonight and got a free beer to boot. My hairdresser will also do touch ups for free. All without ever tipping. Strange.
Strange? Or normal in Austrailia?

Would she appreciate a tip?
ice

Railroader
Banned
Sep 10, 2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I get my hair cut cheaper than that, including tip, and free touch ups. Strange.

Oh, and I get to call him/her a barber and keep my manhood intact.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 11:20 AM

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 12:07 PM

Oh yeah - well I get my haircut from a blind old man with Parkinson's disease who wields two rusty pieces of metal that may have once been scissors.
lol
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Oh yeah - well I get my haircut from a blind old man with Parkinson's disease who wields two rusty pieces of metal that may have once been scissors.
lol
You see the same barber as my father?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 02:14 PM

I get my hair cut cheaper than that, including tip, and free touch ups. Strange.

So, to reiterate; your barber touches you up for free?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 10, 2008, 02:17 PM

Better than a "hairdresser" doing it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 02:17 PM

Comedy genius!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
So, what you're saying is, "Tipping is most definitely NOT a city in China"?

That sign, old and yellow, was behind the bar at my favorite dive--and I'm sure others favorite dives.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
You see the same barber as my father?
Could be - my barber also uses a straight razor. Is your dad's face all cut up?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Railroader
Banned
Sep 10, 2008, 03:47 PM

My barber is female.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 10, 2008, 03:47 PM

Well, more like rubs up against...

Originally Posted by Laminar
Better than a "hairdresser" doing it.
Indeed. Especially a male "hairdresser".

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 04:01 PM

Well, more like rubs up against...
I have sex with mine.

But as I said in the OP, she's my wife.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 04:10 PM

does she give a good blow when she's done cutting your hair?

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
does she give a good blow when she's done cutting your hair?
That would require a tip. I have to blow myself.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 10, 2008, 04:47 PM

I wish I was that flexible.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 05:00 PM

That would require a tip.
Two inches or three?

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 05:25 PM

Two inches or three?
... ... ... ...

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2008, 09:42 PM

That would require a tip. I have to blow myself.

A tip?? I'd give 'er the whole thing!
ice

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 09:55 AM

Are you really trying to suggest waiting tables is skilled labour?
I think the ability to deal with the human element well is a skill. A majority of the population could wait tables competently, but only a minority can do it well.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2008, 10:49 AM

Not beating the customers to a bloody pulp is a skill.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2008, 10:56 AM

Back on topic: $16 + $5 tip.

Cipher13
Sep 12, 2008, 11:05 AM

Free; I do it myself.

0 all over, occasionally a 3 running down the middle. If I'm bored.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 12, 2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Free; I do it myself.

0 all over, occasionally a 3 running down the middle. If I'm bored.
I'm quite happy using the clip between 1 and 3 when I'm shaving my head.
( Last edited by IceEnclosure; Sep 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: posterity)
ice

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I'm a #2 all over guy myself.
Soooooooo easy to misconstrue.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 12, 2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Soooooooo easy to misconstrue.
I knew it.
ice

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 12:26 PM

So glad I quoted it.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
$20 plus tip.
I just paid $30 for a haircut. I feel 50% better looking.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

nash1017
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2008, 02:40 PM

$14+tip

Forum Links
Forum Rules