Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What is the best speaker system for the G5

What is the best speaker system for the G5 (Page 2)
JB72
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 05:24 PM

I like my Edirol speakers. They'd be nice for a G5 where you could take the optical straight out, and still have analog input available for another device (a DV deck in my case.)

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by RAMdrd:
The guy who recommeded flat panes speakers doesn't fair much better. The major problem with Monsoon's (I have the 700s) or most flat panels is that they have a *very* tiny sweet spot. They sound fine if your seating position doesn't change (sitting up to leaning back will often make a big difference in the quality of the sound) and you will use them primarily only while you're at your computer. But if you want them on while you move around the room, these would not be a good choice.
I used to own a pair of Magneplanars. Lovely speakers but very poor dispersion.

The Soundsticks struck me as pretty directional but it may have had something to do with being in a noisy store. How do you like yours?

"Computer speakers" may wrinkle the nose of audiophiles and snobs, but they can be *very* satisfactory.
Absolutely - I believe in whatever makes a person happy. I think booboo raised an interesting point, though - a lot of people limit themselves to "computer speakers" and get excited about new ones even though superb small speakers have existed in the audio market for years. There now seems to be a gradual merging of the two markets - audio companies making desktop systems, etc. I remember when Klipsch made nothing but enormous horn systems.

It's not unlike the consumer audio and pro audio businesses - there's always been a bit of a divide there. Now you see more and more pro lines gravitating towards the consumer market (Genelec, for instance).

What some won't tell you, and many don't know, is that the louder of two or more speaker systems will always sound better to the ear. It will take a very big difference in quality to know that a quieter system is actually the "better" sounding one.
Yes, that's an old stereo salesman trick - play the more expensive stuff just a tiny bit louder and it'll sound "better."

I've got the Creatures, and I like them a lot. The sound is decent and they have a *tiny* footprint, fair volume, and bass and treble controls.

I have the Apple Pro Speakers, and eventually added the iSub. All made by Harmon Kardon, but the iSub is slightly different than the woofer (which some call "sub") of the SoundStix. The satellites are obviously different. I don't know that the G5 supports the Pros anyway.
Did you know that the JBLs are also made by Harmon-Kardon? I've often wondered if they use the same drivers as the Apples.

Floyd Toole is in charge of speaker research at Harmon-Kardon. He's probably the leading speaker engineer in the world. I've often wondered if he does any work on these little systems - probably not.

I have to believe that HK/JBL will come out with a sharp-looking, self-powered 5.1 system to go with the G5, but who knows.

jcook793
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 06:57 PM

I just switched from the PC to the Mac and quickly discovered that my sorta cheapo Logitech Z-640 speakers wouldn't connect directly to my G5 -- not enough ports to plug in to.

I'm not an audiophile, but I like these speakers well enough (5.1 for about $80 is good) so I started trying to figure out what I'd need to hook them up.

What I really need is a Dolby decoder. Unfortunately that crap is expensive and I don't know what I'm looking at in that department.

However I found that the Soundblaster Extigy will do standalone Dolby decoding. It doesn't have an amp, but the speakers have one built in.

I can get a refurb Extigy for about $80 shipped. Do you think this will work out well? It's certainly cheaper than taking the $300 plunge with a Klipsch 5.1 set.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2003, 07:07 PM

I'm not certain that there is an Extigy made that is compatible with the mac.

I know that quite a few people have tried one of these and been quite happy with it.

http://www.midiman.net/products/cons...tion_page1.php

jcook793
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 07:19 PM

I should have been more clear, from what I've read I don't actually have to hook the Extigy up to the Mac as a sound card. It will decode an optical Dolby input into its separate parts and output the sound for my speakers without being hooked to a computer. It is designed to be a PC sound card, but can do the decoding standalone.

It seems to have all the proper output ports and everything, so I won't have to worry about adapters and all that mess.

billearl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 09:05 PM

Monsoon is alive and well at www.monsoonaudio.com/index_mmedia.htm There appears to be a problem with their website which makes it somewhat flakey.

I recently bought the Monsoon PlanarMedia 9 set and am very happy with it.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Go with only Klipsch, Logitech or Monsoon (PlanarMedia 14's).
KLIPSCH THX certified 2.1s for $99 at the Klipsch store is a steal! Great, tight bass, good med and highs.
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2003, 12:36 AM

For people who are serious about music but don't want to hook the computer to the home stereo, check out:

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/pro...dspeakers.html

The Acoustic Energy Aego series are recommended by "audiophiles" (see Sterephile, Absolute Sound, etc), but simple enough for everyone else (i.e. no separate amp, etc).

--Chris

memyselfandimac
Oct 12, 2003, 06:45 AM

Soundsticks.....SUCK....

Go to Cambridge Soundworks. Check their specials section, open box items and you can get a set of FPS2000 for $84. Currently have free shipping too.

These are great speakers for the $$$. Clean/ accurate mids, not overbearing/distorted in the treble like so many others. You get 4 cubes (7w RMS ea.) that use real speaker wire, each has stands or you can mount them to the wall using the keyhole mounts, can save you valuable desk space and also allows you to place the speakers at proper height, slightly above your ears for best imaging. Sub is quit capable and accurate also. Volume/power remote is a dedicated wired unit so you can place it where you need it, not attached to the speakers.

I picked a set of factory refurbished about 2 years ago and have been thrilled with the bang for the buck ratio to this day. All their refurbs still come with full warranty and a 45 day money back guarantee. Have this pair at home and a set at work that I plug my iPod into. None of my friends or co-works have never had anything but praise for the sound coming from these speakers.

Klipsh are "very" nice computer speakers also if you want to spend a little more $$$.

matthewz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 08:44 AM

Mithras, I think you're right on the money there. Looks like the comfy chair is flanked by a pair of inquisitive Daleks. Where's K-9 when you need him?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by matthewz:
Mithras, I think you're right on the money there. Looks like the comfy chair is flanked by a pair of inquisitive Daleks. Where's K-9 when you need him?
Lol! The only people to buy a system like that are going to be (very rich) single men. They also would be the first things to go if any sort of woman moved in.

MyMac.com
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 08:44 PM

Here is a link to a review I just poted on the Altec Lansing VS4121 Versatile Speakers
Tim Robertson
Publisher, MyMac.com

Woody
Oct 13, 2003, 07:41 AM

Howdy,
Had a pretty sweet setup on my G4 with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card and some great Event 20/20 self powered speakers. The M-Audio Audiophile card won't work in the G5.
I realize, that they make a consumer grade PCI-X card called the Revolution 7.1 but this has only the little mini plugs on it...

The Event 20/20 self powered monitors have xlr out - So I was using an XLR cable to rca.

In any case, could someone recommend a sound solution. Perhaps a cost effective mixer with optical in.

TIA

tpace848
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 10:09 AM

Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers

The Logitech Z-680 gives you THX-certified theater quality digital sound through optical and coaxial inputs for simple connection to nearly any audio appliance. And with the Digital SoundTouch Control Center and wireless remote, you can sit back, stretch out and let loose.

Optical quality performance on a G5 requires toslink digital fiber optic cable sold separately.

Let the bass pump through the 188-watt subwoofer. At 62 watts (RMS) each, four satellites and a 69-watt center channel provide crystal-clear midrange and highs.

Don't forget the built-in Dolby Digital and DTS hardware decoding. Connect the Z-680 directly to your PowerMac G5 with Monster Cables Toslink Digital Fiber Optic cable and get a true digital sound experience. Or, connect the Z-680's to your DVD player, satellite receiver or other Dolby-ready source for killer movie and music playback. You can also get 5.1 surround from a stereo input through the advanced Dolby Pro Logic II system. Best of all, you can connect up to four audio sources simultaneously, while accessing each one at the touch of a button.
Feel earth-shaking bass with 500 watts RMS of thunderous power
Enjoy true 5.1 digital sound with your movies and games with built-in Dolby Digital and DTS hardware decoding
Create 5.1 surround sound from stereo music, movies, and games with Dolby Pro Logic II
Simultaneously connect four audio sources, including PCs, game consoles and DVD or CD players.
Be in total command with the Digital SoundTouch Control Center and wireless remote
Know that you're getting the truest possible sound quality with THX certification

Woody
Oct 13, 2003, 10:13 AM

Thanks, but no thanks.

My question is NOT what consumer brand of surround sound speakers to buy. I am looking to use my pro studio monitors with my G5 so I will need a mixing board with optical in.

Can someone suggest a cost effective mixer or a way to get optical out to my self powered monitors?

TIA

MaxHedrm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by striker100:
I like these:
http://www.wilsonaudio.com/products/alex_index.html
Wow. That is hideous. While I am all for high quality audio, couldn't it be in an attractive package?

Thought I suppose if I just bought a pair of speakers that was twice the cost of my house, I would want to draw attention to them.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by MaxHedrm:
Wow. That is hideous. While I am all for high quality audio, couldn't it be in an attractive package?
Well, they come custom-finished in any color you want -- you can send them a paint sample and they'll color-match the loudspeakers for you. So really, they could be quite the centerpiece of your designer pad

But they are a bit over the top if you ask me. I like their WATT/Puppy combination better, and that's even super expensive!

--Chris

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
That company must specialize in selling to absolute kooks if they think this photo is an attractive image of life with their speakers:

I also noticed they employ creative spellings in their dealer locator:
INNOVATIVE AUDIO
150 E. 58TH STREET
MANHATTEN, NY 10155
(212) 634-4444, (212) 634-4491 Fax
emphasis added,

BJNY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by hempcamp:
For people who are serious about music but don't want to hook the computer to the home stereo, check out:

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/pro...dspeakers.html

The Acoustic Energy Aego series are recommended by "audiophiles" (see Sterephile, Absolute Sound, etc), but simple enough for everyone else (i.e. no separate amp, etc).

--Chris
How much, and where to buy from?

mhollis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by rhogue islander:
Well I would have recommended the Monsoons (they are very musical to this jaded audiophile's ears) but alas they are now out of business.
I'm shocked that they went out of business. I went to the folks at TekServ in NYC to purchase a pair of Sound Sticks with the subwoofer and they talked me out of my purchase by doing a demo of the Monsoons. the kit came with a nice tunable subwoofer and two planar speakers and sound fine as near field non-audiophile speakers.

They obviously did not market themselves well and I must say that I have bought audiophile speakers in the past from companies (Burhoe Acoustics comes to mind) that have gone out of business for lack of marketing.

I am happy with mine. I am not about to put mine on eBay soon. And if I need 5.1 work done with my video stuff, I'll send it out to a professional.

devmage
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 11:58 PM

I just finally bought some speakers for my poor G5. I have a pair of Altec speakers on my PC right now and I love them. I bought the same ones I had before only the newer model. They are very stylish and sound awsome and I think they go well with my G5 and desk

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 05:12 AM

If you're a true audiophile you'll definately want something more expensive :shrug: just try things out. Seeing stuff online (as said before) is a BAD way to buy things.

When I got my pro speakers I was happy with them, I added the isub and was even moreso happy. They don't get terribly loud, especially not for the distortion rate but they do sound great to me.

Next time I get a speaker system (whenever I can afford it), I will buy a set that has good mid/high. The most irritating thing on my pro/isub combo is there's absolutely no mid-zone.

But it is awesome nonetheless. It looks and sounds NOTHING like a good sound system but they get pretty darn loud...

really depends on the music too. I tend to take modern jazz and for the most part about 60% of my songs are extremely enjoyable, another 30% satisfactory.. maybe 10% of them I could say I want another sound system for. Big deal.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2003, 01:29 PM

I'm using a set of Logitech Z-560 speakers (moved them off my PC onto the G5), and they sound great! I also have a set of SoundSticks but I find the Z-560's to be more pleasant (not that the SoundSticks aren't good in their own right). The Z-560's can also play much louder than the SoundSticks can.

Oh, BTW, since I moved the Z-560's from my PC to my G5, I moved the SoundSticks to the PC. Guess what... WinXP recognizes the speakers by name. Kinda funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules