Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Perian calls it quits

Perian calls it quits
Thorzdad
May 16, 2012, 09:41 AM

After six years, Perian is done.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2012, 11:04 AM

This really is sad. Perian is without a doubt the best system add-on in Mac history. Being able to play (almost) any video in QuickLook is fantastic.

Since anyone can download the source now, I hope it stays in active development.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2012, 12:36 PM

Perian always seemed like a bad idea to me... a second class citizen on both sides (Apple and OSS).

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2012, 12:53 PM

I do hope that this does continue on as open source.

I use one Quicktime based app for all of my movie and image needs. If I have to start using different apps for different formats that is going to suck...

-Q-
May 16, 2012, 01:58 PM

Was very disappointed to read that. It was a great way to extend QuickTime (and Quicklook) and made it a bit easier to deal with a variety of content. I do hope it continues development even with the proliferation of other video players that can handle the variety of video formats out there.

P
May 17, 2012, 08:46 AM

I think that at least part of the reason is that H.264 is becoming so dominant, and H.264 is supported by Apple and seems likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. The default format on pirate networks is now H.264 in an MP4 container - both formats that Apple supports. The support for older codecs like Xvid etc is already as good as it will ever be. If it breaks in 10.8 Mountain Lion or 10.9 (Sabretooth? There aren't a lot of cat names left), that will be a definite loss, but something like that sounds like something another developer can parachute in and fix.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
If it breaks in 10.8 Mountain Lion or 10.9 (Sabretooth? There aren't a lot of cat names left)
xkcd reference

Cashfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2012, 06:51 PM

Jeff

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2012, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I think that at least part of the reason is that H.264 is becoming so dominant, and H.264 is supported by Apple and seems likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. The default format on pirate networks is now H.264 in an MP4 container - both formats that Apple supports. The support for older codecs like Xvid etc is already as good as it will ever be. If it breaks in 10.8 Mountain Lion or 10.9 (Sabretooth? There aren't a lot of cat names left), that will be a definite loss, but something like that sounds like something another developer can parachute in and fix.
HD still tends to prefer mkv containers (though many are using x264 codecs). Mp4 has definitely started to catch up with avi at long last.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Salty
Professional Poster
May 23, 2012, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
HD still tends to prefer mkv containers (though many are using x264 codecs). Mp4 has definitely started to catch up with avi at long last.
This instantly made the Apple TV FAR more useful. And for everything else there's air video.

Forum Links
Forum Rules