Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Does mini-cycling of charged li-ion cells really help its longevity?

Does mini-cycling of charged li-ion cells really help its longevity?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2012, 02:42 PM

Has anybody seen references of this practice anywhere else? Is it an industry first? Are iPadders guinea pigs of this technique? Has any battery engineer here, Asian or otherwise, vetted this claim?
( Last edited by The Godfather; Apr 3, 2012 at 02:50 PM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2012, 02:53 PM

Oh ffs.

Nevermind. I completely misunderstood this post.

I'm assuming you're referring to this?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Has anybody seen references of this practice anywhere else? Is it an industry first? Are iPadders guinea pigs of this technique? Has any battery engineer here, Asian or otherwise, vetted this claim?
This "gentle cycling" has been standard practice for Apple power circuits since AT LEAST the iBook G4s, and hasn't exactly been secret.

iPadders aren't "guinea pigs"; the press just jumps on anything that might have a tiny sliver of a chance of making Apple look like they're faking something, or lying, or covering up some problem, without bothering to actually make a 30-second phone call to anybody who actually has a clue of what the **** they're talking about.

freudling
Banned
Apr 4, 2012, 01:31 AM

I don't think it extends the life. I think it stops it from being damaged by overcharging. Think about it. It charges and discharges the battery cyclically. That would mean the battery would get used faster.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2012, 02:59 AM

Deleted.

OreoCookie
Apr 4, 2012, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I don't think it extends the life. I think it stops it from being damaged by overcharging. Think about it. It charges and discharges the battery cyclically. That would mean the battery would get used faster.
No, that's not correct. Lithium ion batteries actually break if you don't cycle them. For example, some years ago my former boss had a titanium PowerBook G4 that he never worked with unplugged. When I replaced this machine, I noticed that the battery was completely dead as if it had been used extensively.

Overcharging is not an issue with modern LiIon batteries: the circuitry which controls the charge process stops charging when the battery is full. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to work for long times with your laptop plugged in
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2012, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Overcharging is not an issue with modern LiIon batteries: the circuitry which controls the charge process stops charging when the battery is full. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to work for long times with your laptop plugged in
When you hear about exploding laptop batteries, it's usually because this circuitry has failed.

freudling
Banned
Apr 4, 2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
No, that's not correct. Lithium ion batteries actually break if you don't cycle them. For example, some years ago my former boss had a titanium PowerBook G4 that he never worked with unplugged. When I replaced this machine, I noticed that the battery was completely dead as if it had been used extensively.

I'm trying to understand by what you've said... that my original post is "incorrect". You've demonstrated or shown nothing in relation to battery life. Just damage. What you've said... is inline with what I've said. Cycling batteries stops them from being damaged. The question is, does it extend the LIFE of the battery? Well, technically, it reduces it because it's charging and discharging cyclically. If you unplug your device every time it hits 100% without overcharging and allowing for cycles, you will increase the life of your battery.

Also, you can't generalize in the way you have. I have many old Apple and other laptops with lion batteries that have sat for years. I've even taken new PowerBooks never opened that are like 8 years old and fired them up. None of any of these units has damaged batteries. In fact, my Clamshells all have excellent battery life and have been sitting for years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules