Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Migrating to a new MacBook - data transfer question

Migrating to a new MacBook - data transfer question
biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2014, 10:04 AM

I have a 2012 MBP to replace my 2007 MacBook. As the new machine's hard drive was quite small, I have also bought a new, big SSD to go in the new one, but I haven't installed it yet. Both are currently running Lion.

What's the best way to migrate to the new set up while preserving everything? I'm particularly concerned about my iOS devices, which are linked to the 2007 machine. I also have a 1st gen TC that I'd like to keep using.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

biscuit

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 11:39 AM

The easiest way, if you haven't installed the SSD in the new machine yet:

1.) Install the SSD in an external USB enclosure and hook it up to the old MacBook and format it using Disk Utility.

2.) On the old MacBook, download and install your OS of choice onto the SSD from the App Store (if you're on 10.7, I strongly suggest going to 10.8, which is much nicer, or 10.9, which is even nicer, but possibly incompatible with some of your software)

3.) When it restarts after having installed the OS on the SSD, follow the onscreen instructions to transfer everything from the old internal hard drive onto the newly-set up SSD.

4.) Install SSD into 2012 MBP. Your new machine will look and work exactly as the old one did — except that you will have to enable your iTunes/App Store accounts once for the new computer.

Done.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 11:44 AM

The easiest way, if you HAVE installed the SSD in the new machine:

1.) Boot up the new MacBook Pro in Target Disk Mode by holding down the T key when powering it up, hook it up to the old MacBook using a Firewire 800-to-400 cable, and format it using Disk Utility.

2.) On the old MacBook, download and install your OS of choice onto the SSD from the App Store (if you're on 10.7, I strongly suggest going to 10.8, which is much nicer, or 10.9, which is even nicer, but possibly incompatible with some of your software)

3.) When it restarts after having installed the OS on the SSD, follow the onscreen instructions to transfer everything from the old internal hard drive onto the newly-set up SSD.

Once you've shut down and disconnected the machines, your new machine will look and work exactly as the old one did — except that you will have to enable your iTunes/App Store accounts once for the new computer.

biscuit  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2014, 02:47 PM

Thanks Spheric.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attempt this for a couple of weeks now.

biscuit

Forum Links
Forum Rules