Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro 13

Macbook Pro 13
cubedubbie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2010, 10:42 AM

I just bought a Macbook Pro 13 and I am very happy so far. I am curious about some things. Yes, I have seen it get hot or at least I would consider getting hot. Say 157 Fahrenheit. How hot can they get? I have yet to see any real points that they should not exceed. Does anyone know where I can find this info?

Also I am interested in obtaining the external monitor and firewire cables. Do these have to be mail ordered or are they available at the Apple Stores?

Thanks in advance for any help here, it will be much appreciated.

ibook_steve
Jul 1, 2010, 11:52 AM

Where are you getting temperature numbers? 157 F is only 69 C which is fine for a laptop but it also depends on which sensor is reporting this temp. Download Temperature Monitor to see what all the sensors in your machine are reporting.

As for cables, you can get those anywhere! I recommend Monoprice (HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!). Best prices, best selection of cables. Don't waste money on overpriced cables at the Apple store or Worst Buy!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

cubedubbie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2010, 01:27 PM

I have something called Istatmenus, which sits on the menu bar and reports the temps but, ah I see where your right; as it does not exactly say what sensor is reporting that temperature. I am probably more curious than concerned as a new Macbook Pro owner, I want to know all I can about my machine.
On the cables that sounds like just the advice I needed, thanks.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2010, 03:53 PM

You'll need a mini displayport adaptor which is avaliable in Apple stores.
I had an MBP with a GPU that idled at 80C!. I wouldn't worry too much. If it gets too hot, it will turn itself off for protection.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

zacharace
Jul 6, 2010, 05:56 PM

No need to worry about internal temps; the 'Book should monitor itself. And although they tend to run "hot" sometimes, Apple laptops rarely have catastrophic overheating failures (unless I'm missing something...).

As for cables/adaptors, if you have the time, I'd order them online; if you go retail, they're a rip-off pretty much everywhere. As Steve mentioned, Monoprice is a good bet, but there are also other places, too. Wherever you go, it's usually at least a $10 savings off of Apple prices.

Oh, and welcome!

Forum Links
Forum Rules