Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Eyestrain on a 12" Powerbook

Eyestrain on a 12" Powerbook
bryan7980
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 03:08 AM

Do you experience eyestrain on using your 12" powerbook? Whats your brightness setting? how do I adjust the refresh rate of my screen? Is there a way to completely turn off text smoothing? Am just not used to the light and heavy shades.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 03:23 AM

humm
going from a 17" imac both in my dorm and at work i see no problem going from 1400x900 to 1024x768!!

humm...my brightness is usually at half, and i believe there is a little tinkertools type thing that allows you to take off text aliasing all together, can't recall the name of the program, I had it then 10.2 broke it...so check that out

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2003, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by bryan7980:
Do you experience eyestrain on using your 12" powerbook? Whats your brightness setting? how do I adjust the refresh rate of my screen?
It's not a CRT screen. No CRT screen = no refresh rate. It's all done by transistors, they are either on or off.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2003, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by solidage:
humm
going from a 17" imac both in my dorm and at work i see no problem going from 1400x900 to 1024x768!!

humm...my brightness is usually at half, and i believe there is a little tinkertools type thing that allows you to take off text aliasing all together, can't recall the name of the program, I had it then 10.2 broke it...so check that out
The pixel density of your iMac is very similar to that of your 12-inch PowerBook. Switching from a 17-inch iMac to a 12-inch PowerBook shouldn't require much readjustment. Text on the PowerBook's screen is only slightly smaller than the same text displayed on a 17-inch iMac's screen.

To me, the 12-inch PowerBook's LCD is perfect. I usually try use the brightest backlight setting I can. Apple makes a 14-inch iBook for people who cannot comfortably use a 12-inch panel with a resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels.

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 10:24 AM

If you have a little eyestrain while reading text, then make the text bigger, usually that would occur most in Mail (change text size prefs), Web browsing (most browsers use cmd-plus to increase text size), or writing documents (if you happen to be using Microsoft Office, then increase the magnification on your docs to 125%)
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
It's not a CRT screen. No CRT screen = no refresh rate. It's all done by transistors, they are either on or off.
Erm actually, I think LCDs still do have refresh rates. Just that you don't get to change them.

Alphy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by naphtali:
Erm actually, I think LCDs still do have refresh rates. Just that you don't get to change them.
That's correct. Unforunately most panels are running at 60 mhz so when playing games at high fps the screen can't show all the frames as the LCD panel can not refresh fast enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules