Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Borderlands, brought to you by: The Final Dakar

Borderlands, brought to you by: The Final Dakar (Page 2)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 04:08 PM

Skill trees for each character:

Borderlands: Skill Tree

---

Couple of observations:

I'm flabbergasted at the size of the areas. Reminds me of Fable only far more impressive (BTW, the list of games this game reminds me of is ever growing. The last game that made me think like this was GTA III).

I remember at the beginning of the game I was under the impression that the vehicles broke the gameplay because they were invincible and over-powered. Cut to a couple new areas later and I realize that they are quite vincible and it takes way too many rockets to kill most enemies (some of the bruisers fly all around the map from the repeated rocket 'splosions). Note: Apparently you gain less XP from vehicle kills.

My favorite memory from playing with sek was probably a time I tried to rush a dude, only the second I got near sek unloaded a sniper bullet that made his upper torso explode right in front of me. Yesterday, I did a similar stunt, but I didn't move momentarily and for a few seconds blood and guts just rained from the sky. Wicked.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2009, 04:43 PM

I'd love any sniper or SMG. Right now my sniper does 145 and my SMG does 30 with x3 fire damage. I'd love to level-up my repeater stats but I have yet to find any repeater I don't instantly switch away from once the fighting starts.

Also I'll mirror what Dakar said, shotguns seem useless at first but I can't count how many times (already) that they've saved the day.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 04:56 PM

I'll hook you up with a good SMG. I've been chucking tons because I've got a great one right now (A scope is a must).

If there's one (or two) aspects of the game I feel I'm overlooking, its the elemental business. I wish I understood what the x1, x2, x3 business meant. ALl I know is if base damage is significantly lower, I don't see the advantage.

Also, I just don't use my phase-walk enough. I used it on a Spider-ant King though (Phase-walk, sneak around to his exposed body) and I meleed him straight to hell in one hit. It was amazing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2009, 05:01 PM

Even a level 20 SMG will be fine since I have a feeling I'll be leveling up quickly tonight.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2009, 05:09 PM

Have you guys played co-op with more than 2 people yet? If so, how do you more than 2 people share a single vehicle? Can 2 people hang off of either side of the vehicle or what? Couldn't figure that out when we had 3 people in the game and couldn't spawn more than one vehicle.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 05:11 PM

Nope, Vehicles are two-seaters only.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2009, 05:12 PM

So one to two dudes have to hoof it?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 05:12 PM

No, you can spawn two vehicles. Duh.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2009, 05:16 PM

Really? We couldn't seem to figure that out. I feel dumb now (more than usual).

When we tried it was grayed out, couldn't select "Spawn Vehicle".

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 05:18 PM

I'll bet the person who spawned the first vehicle can't spawn a second, so if that's what you were doing, LOL FAIL

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2009, 05:22 PM

Nope, we all tried to spawn a new vehicle. Not sure what was going on. We'll try again though for sure.

I noticed the bad dude vehicles have 4 bad dudes on them, 2 hanging off of either side. That's why I figured that was how you do it, but I guess not.

Shizzle.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 05:25 PM

It'd be a weird flaw if they only spawned a second vehicle when there are 4 peeps.

I mean, its patently obvious that most car ports have two pads for them to materialize on.

Glitch?

Edit: Use the shoulder buttons to select a second vehicle.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2009, 05:30 PM

Yep! I just searched their forums and found the same exact question, and wouldn't ya know it... TABS!

Damn tabs, I miss them more often than not.

Yay!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 05:34 PM

I just noticed them last night. I think it's a little odd they don't offer faster or more durable or more powerful cars.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2009, 05:49 PM

A mysterious post in the thread I was reading about my "issue", someone posted that there are different vehicle types in the game. Though I've only seen one, maybe more come available later on?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 05:51 PM

Yes, there are different types. But all they do is sport different skin or paint jobs.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2009, 05:57 PM

Oh that's what he meant. Lame.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2009, 05:59 PM

I have to say, this thread is mother-****ing rollin'.

chuckit, and initial thoughts on the game? Did you buy or rent it?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2009, 07:35 PM

Level 18 and counting, I'll probably have a 3rd for tonight, and he's a 34 so we both might level up quite quickly....that is if he wants to go through all my tedious missions.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I have to say, this thread is mother-****ing rollin'.

chuckit, and initial thoughts on the game? Did you buy or rent it?
I'm enjoying it, though I'm way behind everybody here with my poor little level 12 siren. It's a good mix of RPG and FPS, better in that respect than Fallout 3 IMO. I like the skill trees and how well they combine. For example, I decided to go really phasewalk-heavy (hey, I love sneaking), and it was easy to see the spec that suited it. Haven't tried multiplayer yet, though it sounds fun. My biggest complaint is that the backpack is way too small and there isn't any locker-ish thing, so you wind up just tossing everything by the side of the road unless there happens to be a coke machine nearby.

And yes, I bought it. I was going to rent it, but based on the reviews and comments here and the fact that I owe Blockbuster $60 that I don't want to pay, I went ahead and just bought it. No regrets so far.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2009, 01:25 AM

You'll really start enjoying it with a friend, and I have yet to play it with more than two and it's already a hoot.

Dakar got me through some tough spots today, and up to level 21.

Rumor
Nov 3, 2009, 01:45 AM

Is this a must buy? I was thinking about getting Dragon Age: Origins, but may pick this up instead.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I'm enjoying it, though I'm way behind everybody here with my poor little level 12 siren. It's a good mix of RPG and FPS, better in that respect than Fallout 3 IMO. I like the skill trees and how well they combine. For example, I decided to go really phasewalk-heavy (hey, I love sneaking), and it was easy to see the spec that suited it. Haven't tried multiplayer yet, though it sounds fun. My biggest complaint is that the backpack is way too small and there isn't any locker-ish thing, so you wind up just tossing everything by the side of the road unless there happens to be a coke machine nearby.
Yeah, all through my 20s I ended each session feeling like I finally started to understand certain aspects of the game. We were talking last night that they should have a trunk you can dump stuff into.

And yes, I bought it. I was going to rent it, but based on the reviews and comments here and the fact that I owe Blockbuster $60 that I don't want to pay, I went ahead and just bought it. No regrets so far.
Sweet. Blockbuster screwed me by using the card on file before though.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You'll really start enjoying it with a friend, and I have yet to play it with more than two and it's already a hoot.

Dakar got me through some tough spots today, and up to level 21.
Not to mention you hath seen the light on my weapon selection. sek got an awesome shotty similar to mine, and a lower level version of my scoped SMG.

Between my game last night and our co-op, I spent damn near 300k, and boy do I need to recoup some of it. I did get a super sweet sniper though, which I just did not get enough chances to use before our night was over.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2009, 01:37 PM

Absolutely dying to play right now, I've got the night to myself so I'll be on from 5-12 or so.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2009, 01:39 PM

You're killing me. I'm absolutely swamped at work this week.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2009, 01:43 PM

It'll take more than one night to pass you up level-wise.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2009, 01:46 PM

Well that's not a big deal. It's more opportunity to play and also I need to start earnin' cash back. Also, I'm exhausted from the weekend long work hours, and oh yeah, going to bed late because I'm up till 1 playing with you.

Can I get some tissues in here?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2009, 01:49 PM

It'll be lonely without you tonight, or will it?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2009, 01:50 PM

I don't think I've ever worked this hard to get stuff done early/on-time.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2009, 03:11 PM

Out of curiosity, what does everyone play? I know Dakar and I are both Lilith, but I don't know about anyone else. I'm guessing Mordecai for sek, based on his unhealthy love for the sniper rifle.
Chuck
___

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2009, 03:17 PM

Bingo. I believe ::maroma:: is Lilith as well.

For my second character I'm interested in Roland.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2009, 03:49 PM

I am actually Mordecai (Lvl 28 at the moment).

I am also looking to try out Roland for my 2nd character.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2009, 03:53 PM

I'm so glad we're never on at the same time anymore.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2009, 04:32 PM

Jesus maroma, you've been doing some playing!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2009, 04:51 PM

I'm planning on Brick for my second character. Actually, I've already got a Brick up to level 7. His boxing attack is awesome — high damage and near invincibility. Nine-Toes gave me a good fight as Lilith, where I had to keep hiding and phasewalking in order to keep from going down, but I smacked him around like a little girl as Brick.
Chuck
___

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2009, 04:53 PM

We might have to sneak in an NN meet-up this weekend if we can.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2009, 04:55 PM

Seeing the amount of people playing as Lilith I might opt for Brick too. He's so far off of what I normally gravitate towards in FPSes that it might just be a grand experience.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2009, 08:03 PM

Alright, here's the deal: I left work early (early being 6.30) because I'm exhausted. I'm going to eat and then I'm going to play until around 10. If you're on good. If not, eh, good.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I left work early (early being 6.30)
China?
Chuck
___

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2009, 11:12 PM

Wow, well 4-players certainly add a lot more intense seat of your pants all-out firefights, if that's even possible. Kinda loses some of the charm of searching for cool stuff when it's 4 guns blazin' the whole time, but man do you gain XP at a rapid rate.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2009, 12:57 PM

China?
Overtime.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Wow, well 4-players certainly add a lot more intense seat of your pants all-out firefights, if that's even possible. Kinda loses some of the charm of searching for cool stuff when it's 4 guns blazin' the whole time, but man do you gain XP at a rapid rate.
Yeah, its sketchy when you have a bunch of different people at different points of the game with different goals. We did have a few epic spiderant battles, though. And I finally got to use my sniper and it is epic!

Regarding that we need to, uh, figure out a system for splitting weapons, because I got pretty screwed yesterday now that we're both roughly the same level. I did my best to make up for it by stealing everything that wasn't nailed down and selling it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2009, 01:10 PM

I'd say two players seems to be the sweet spot, that or my friends aren't good team players.

Either just you and I will get together and bang out some missions, or maybe we can join Chuckit's game and help him along, I'm sure I could donate a weapon or two to his cause.

Rumor
Nov 4, 2009, 09:41 PM

Guess what I bought?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2009, 12:25 AM

Brutal Legend?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Rumor
Nov 5, 2009, 12:44 AM

Parappa the Rappa, fool!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2009, 01:27 PM

Okay how about everyone list their favorite weapon so far with stats, listing your level will also help gauge just how awesome the weapon currently is.

I've found that my S&S L87 Vicious Sniper is my weapon of choice, despite the fact I have 3 other sniper rifles that deal much more damage. I received it around level 16 and still use it constantly at level 26.

Stats:
Damage: 148
Accuracy: 97.6
Fire Rate: 1.6
Clip Size: 9 (most for any sniper I've found)
Zoom: 1.5x

What makes this weapon my favorite is the clip size, fire rate, and reload speed. For a sniper rifle this can send a fairly absurd amount of firepower down range in a short time. I have a sniper that deals 360 damage, yet it's tiny clip (3), slow fire rate, and abysmal reload speed means I only use it as a 'first shot' weapon against the most powerful enemy.

The scope is also awesome, with an vertical oval sight, green dot at the center, and ability to see the area around the scope (so key) it makes locating and tracking enemies much easier then with the big red cross-hair type found on most every other rifle.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Brutal Legend?
It's funny because it's believable.

---

sek - I never got around to it, but I was going to mention earlier, it's interesting how much one weapon can change you playing. For a long while there I was using that Shotgun exclusively. Then I was using a sniper to warm guys up, then lay waste to everyone with my SMG, and use the shotty for clean-up. Now I'm sniping almost exclusively because the one I have is just devastating. It's lighting people on fire virtually every hit.

(Related: I didn't run into any good weapons last night. I almost found a replacement to my shotty, but the damn clip was TWO shots. I finally ventured into Rust Commons East, and the stuff there hasn't seemed any better than West. Also, somehow my Team Elemental chance mod got sold or something – it wasn't in my inventory!)

Lastly, I think we're roughly on par as far as missions go, sek. I'm still a little confused as to how this game handles co-op. The night after you helped me with my game I had to do a few of the missions over. But as far as locations visited, the game considered Treacher's Landing as one of the places available on fast Transport even though I only visited in co-op with you Tuesday. Very confusing.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2009, 02:58 PM

I'll have to go home and look at my current weapons to post stats. I'm still using the same Sniper and Repeater I've been using for about 8 levels now. Badass guns, but I'm hoping to run across replacements soon.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2009, 05:03 PM

I finally picked it up. My girlfriend dumped me yesterday, so I can afford to spend more on myself again; the distraction will be welcomed, too. Probably leave work early and play it for the next few days, straight.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2009, 05:05 PM

Um, sorry to hear that and good for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules