Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Only 2, possibly 3, Shuttle launches left. Is anyone going?

Only 2, possibly 3, Shuttle launches left. Is anyone going?
iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2010, 04:43 PM

I know the tickets to get into the Cape are extremely hard to get, so I'm probably just going to watch from Titusville. As of now, it's been pushed back to Wednesday.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 30, 2010, 05:22 PM

I wish I could. I've dreamed of seeing a launch from Canaveral my whole life, but I don't think I'll be able to get there before the last shuttle launch.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2010, 05:52 PM

I don't live near any of the launch sites or I would. Just hoping that we don't end up dismantling NASA with the lack of interest in space exploration as of late.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I wish I could. I've dreamed of seeing a launch from Canaveral my whole life, but I don't think I'll be able to get there before the last shuttle launch.
Same here. Shame

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If Congress funds an extra flight beyond the Feb 27 launch, it's planned for early June of next year. That's a nice time for a vacation to Cocoa Beach. Seeing a shuttle launch up close really is amazing. There isn't going to be anything like it for a long time.

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2010, 06:44 PM

I went to space camp in Huntsville, AL when I was 11. It was the coolest week of my life.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
I went to space camp in Huntsville, AL when I was 11. It was the coolest week of my life.
I have a vague memory of a team of kids who started up the booster rockets and accidentally went up into space.
I think now days that have procedures to stop this kind of thing happening.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2010, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I have a vague memory of a team of kids who started up the booster rockets and accidentally went up into space.
I think now days that have procedures to stop this kind of thing happening.
Jinx put Max into space. NASA killed JInx. No more kids in space. That movie had some seriously beautiful women in it. Kelly Preston and Lea Thompson. Maybe that's why I always wanted to be an astronaut.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2010, 04:43 AM

oh, I thought it was a documentary, that actually explains a lot.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
oh, I thought it was a documentary, that actually explains a lot.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Oct 31, 2010, 06:55 PM

we are flying Jinx big bro on the mission. NASA - Robonaut 2

I'm still at the cape, but unfortunately a lot of my friends have been laid off. I think I'm good till April. ?? very sad what is happening. Beyond the job lost issue. I mean the American man space fight issue.

We are going to have to rely on the Russians for a lift to the station. And right now, that price is $54 million a person to orbit. I bet that price goes up after the shuttles program ends. It takes 4 Russian unmanned missions to equal the amount of payload a shuttle can take to orbit.

But I agree we need another vehicle to take humans out of earth orbit. Especially with all the science NASA is discovering on the moon. We really need to get back there. Water, minerals... just to have a base on the moon would be so cool we could... sorry just had a fantasy moment.

Check this site out for space info. NASASpaceFlight.com <I'm not endorsing his site> But the info on the site is posted from some of my co-workers NASA/USA/BOEING...etc. So it's dead on. You'll read about stuff long before the regular news dweebs have been informed.

And if you can, try and see a launch in person. No way to describe it. Ya have to experience it. But they are expecting 500,000 to a 1,000,000 people for the last two launches. So come early.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2010, 07:08 PM

I will be close for the one in June if it gets it's funding. But that will be crazy busy. I was close again a few years back for one of the late night launches (wanna say 3:38am or something like that). I just rolled into the area after driving ~14 hours...laid down to take a nap...didn't make it

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2010, 12:33 AM

i always wished i could see one in person. too bad i won't make it.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Nov 2, 2010, 12:42 AM

I too, would have enjoyed seeing a night-time Shuttle launch. Being out on the west coast is mostly to blame, but other commitments and funding were other issues in getting out there.

One problem with the night launches was that there often seemed to be cloud-cover that obscured all but the first fraction of a minute. It would have been a great disappointment to drive or fly all the way out there only to see a few seconds of it.

What I really wanted to be able to see was a Saturn V launch. That must have been something special.

Forum Links
Forum Rules