Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MPB 15 Retina

MPB 15 Retina
dennett
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2012, 03:31 AM

As I posted in another thread, my wife and cat decided to dump a large Coke into her 13" Air... Anyways, I'm going to get her new laptop as a Christmas surprise, she's been moping around since the loss of her Air. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to just buy a replacement Air, we tend to upgrade our various macs every 3-4 years, so I'd rather upgrade the Air instead of just replacing it with a nearly identical, hers was mid "11 model Air and the latest model doesn't seem to be any significant upgrade. So I'm thinking about going with new Retina 15". Anything I should be aware of? I'm looking at the base model, $2k with education discount, the 8/256 config both double what the Air had so that seems all she'd need. All she really does is Net surfing, Office, iPhoto and iMovie, so I don't see a need to upgrade from 8/256, and I'd think she'd be good to go for next 3-4 years. Anything I'm missing?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2012, 04:24 AM

I always advise the RAM upgrade since you can't do it later. If you want to keep it 4 years+ and can keep the coke away from it, you might be glad of it down the line.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules