Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > U.S. Near Seizing bin Laden, Official Says

U.S. Near Seizing bin Laden, Official Says
TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2004, 05:30 AM

U.S. Near Seizing bin Laden, Official Says

Sep 4, 4:58 PM (ET)
By MATTHEW PENNINGTON

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040904/D84T2OUO0.html

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) - The United States and its allies have moved closer to capturing Osama bin Laden in the last two months, a top U.S. counterterrorism official said in a television interview broadcast Saturday.

"If he has a watch, he should be looking at it because the clock is ticking. He will be caught," Joseph Cofer Black, the U.S. State Department coordinator for counterterrorism, told private Geo television network.

Asked if concrete progress had been made during the last two months - when Pakistan has arrested dozens of terror suspects including some key al-Qaida operatives - Black said, "Yes, I would say this."

Black, who briefed a group of Pakistani journalists after talks with officials here Friday, said he could not predict exactly when bin Laden and other top al-Qaida fugitives would be nabbed.

"What I tell people, I would be surprised but not necessarily shocked if we wake up tomorrow and he's been caught along with all his lieutenants. That can happen because of the programs and infrastructure in place," he told Geo.

Bin Laden and his top associate, Ayman al-Zawahri, are believed to be hiding some place along the rugged border between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Officials have divulged no solid intelligence about bin Laden's precise whereabouts, and it's not clear if they have any.

Pakistan is a key ally of the United States in its war on terror, and Black's visit comes weeks after Pakistani security forces captured Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, a Tanzanian wanted for the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in east Africa, and Mohammed Naeem Noor Khan, a Pakistani computer expert allegedly linked to al-Qaida operatives around the world.

The arrests led to a terror warning in the United States, and arrests in Britain and the United Arab Emirates.

Black attended a meeting of the Pakistan-U.S. Joint Working Group on Counterterrorism and Law Enforcement in Islamabad on Thursday and Friday.

During the talks, Pakistan asked U.S. officials for more helicopters, surveillance and communications equipment to help Pakistani forces guard border areas near Afghanistan "more efficiently," a Pakistani official at the talks said.

"We got a positive response from the American officials," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Pakistan has deployed about 70,000 troops along the Afghan border and conducted several military operations this year in its lawless and largely autonomous tribal regions against al-Qaida suspects and their local supporters.

Black hailed Pakistan's efforts in counterterrorism - despite criticism from Western officials who say that elements of the former ruling Taliban regime in Afghanistan still operate inside Pakistan.

"In terms of national programs and effectiveness, I would put Pakistan up against anyone else ... If you look at the arrests they have made, the information they have developed and the lives that have been saved, Pakistan is doing a great job," he said.

He added, however, that, "you can always do more."
---------------------------------------------
Of course, our leftist buddies first reaction will be to say "Oh, we have had him for months, but we just decided to announce this news now to pull more votes." Well personally I think he's dead, but we'll see, I've seen countless reports like this in the past and here we are today still debating it.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 5, 2004, 05:54 AM

I think it's pretty dumb for somebody to state "we're close to capturing".

They should capture him first, then boast about it later on.

Either way, things are looking damn good for Bush, but if they catch the barbarian, then forget about it. Bush is gonna destroy Kerry in the election and not just win. It will be a landslide.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2004, 05:56 AM

It's not November yet.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 5, 2004, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
It's not November yet.
Luckily for the people who want to weaken the USA it is only Sept. If the elections were held today, we all know what would happen.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2004, 06:16 AM

Well, let's see, Bush's approval ratings profited from Saddam's capture for about 4 or 5 weeks, prompting the "radical militant commie pinko's" (i.e. rational left) on this forum to predict public announcement of Osama's capture in late September/early October.

Looks like the machinery is on track if they're starting to drop the odd hint already.

I wonder if he'll continue the "I really don't care where Osama is" line when he announces the capture.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2004, 11:21 AM

Well well. Lets see if the people of USA are gullible enough to think this kind of announcement has nothing to do with the elections two months from now. I'm mean does the government make you swallow a stupidity pill every week?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 11:29 AM

what i want to know is what big f*ckin' difference it makes if bin laden is captured?! does anybody actually believe that this would make a dent in, let alone end, terrorism (and the jihad)?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
what i want to know is what big f*ckin' difference it makes if bin laden is captured?! does anybody actually believe that this would make a dent in, let alone end, terrorism (and the jihad)?
Last I heard u and Bush are in total agreement there
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Last I heard u and Bush are in total agreement there
that'd be probably just about the only thing we'd agree on.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 02:46 PM

i would be pleased but extremely surprised if this was anything but a windbag blowing smoke.

Officials have divulged no solid intelligence about bin Laden's precise whereabouts, and it's not clear if they have any.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
i would be pleased but extremely surprised if this was anything but a windbag blowing smoke.
They froze him alongside with Disney.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

Jacob B Schmidt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2004, 05:23 PM

I think Bin Laden is going to make his television debut on the new season of Survivor
a John * Smith account

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Jacob B Schmidt:
I think Bin Laden is going to make his television debut on the new season of Survivor
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
It's not November yet.
Actually, those who have been predicting that Bush would deliberately delay the capture of bin Laden so as to capitalize on the inevitable ratings boost predict that it would come in late October. The elections are too early in November for the full effect to take place.

That said, I can't help but worry: no doubt bin Laden has put "doomsday contingencies" into effect, including attacks set to go off in the event of his capture.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

deedar
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
OMG... Disney is frozen?????

deedar
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
RUMOR MONGER!!!!!!!

No liquid nitrogen for Walt!

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
Those of us who care about our fellow citizens want to see the man behind the 9/11 attacks - and other attcks on US interests - captured and face justice.

That's the "big f*cking difference". And you wonder why I don't want you or your ilk anywhere near the White House.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 6, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Those of us who care about our fellow citizens want to see the man behind the 9/11 attacks - and other attcks on US interests - captured and face justice.

That's the "big f*cking difference". And you wonder why I don't want you or your ilk anywhere near the White House.
We constantly read all the time, and hear from the other side - - -"Where is bin laden ? why haven't you caught him yet ? blah blah blah"

Now that there is a report about the possible capture of the cavedwelling savage, the new line is "What difference will it make ? blah blah blah"

It will make a big difference, and I honestly think that quite a few people, including a few on this forum would be genuinely upset.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
It will make a big difference[/B]
To who (besides the Bush campaign of course)? It's a hollow victory at best, will do nothing to stop terrorism, and offers little solace to those who lost family and loved-ones on 9/11.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 6, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
To who (besides the Bush campaign of course)? It's a hollow victory at best, will do nothing to stop terrorism, and offers little solace to those who lost family and loved-ones on 9/11.
To millions and millions of disgusting people in the world, it will make a huge difference, as their hero will no longer be a free man.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2004, 04:20 PM

I'm convinced Pakistan has this guy for a few months. They made a deal with the US to keep it quiet for a bit. Pakistan fears an uprising, and since it's a nuclear power, that's bad for the US. Bush isn't stupid enough to announce a bin Laden capture, because he knows it's going to lead to several big attacks. Something he doesn't really need at the moment.

Keep it quiet, and gather the intellegence. Everybody wins. Nobody looses. Exactly what we want.

It's been way to quiet for way to long for them to still be 'looking'. No way in hell they are still searching. The only other option is the guy is dead, and they just don't want that to come out either for the same reasons.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2004, 04:49 PM

Who are you speaking for? Can you provide me with a link to family members or friends of fallen 9/11 victims that claim that his capture would offer them little solace?

I lost a good friend on 9/11, and other folks who I knew in my town were also killed. I will be very happy when he's captured or dead.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
I'm convinced Pakistan has this guy for a few months. They made a deal with the US to keep it quiet for a bit. Pakistan fears an uprising, and since it's a nuclear power, that's bad for the US. Bush isn't stupid enough to announce a bin Laden capture, because he knows it's going to lead to several big attacks. Something he doesn't really need at the moment.

Keep it quiet, and gather the intellegence. Everybody wins. Nobody looses. Exactly what we want.

It's been way to quiet for way to long for them to still be 'looking'. No way in hell they are still searching. The only other option is the guy is dead, and they just don't want that to come out either for the same reasons.
Perhaps, and I'd support any of those scenarios/decisions if that were the case.

I actually think he's been dead for a while, maybe even a few years. However, without such evidence, I refrain from promoting my speculation.

f1000
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 05:02 PM

If bin Laden has been captured, then at least some of his followers would know. Why would they help keep their leader's capture a secret if publicizing it would start an uprising in Pakistan?

Moreover, Al Qaeda knows by now that we intend to destroy it and bring its conspirators to justice no matter what it does. Why should its members wait until after bin Laden's capture to pull out all the stops?

Al Qaeda was dangerous only because we let it be. Our recent military actions have shown the organization to be comprised of self-important, incredibly naive losers.
( Last edited by f1000; Sep 6, 2004 at 05:07 PM. )

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 05:21 PM

To millions and millions of disgusting people in the world, it will make a huge difference, as their hero will no longer be a free man.
Yup, then he'll be a martyr.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 6, 2004, 05:23 PM

Yup, then he'll be a martyr.
So what ? Either way he'll be dead. We're in the process of "martyring" plenty of terrorists. Call it for what you want. Dead they will be.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 05:34 PM

Who are you speaking for? Can you provide me with a link to family members or friends of fallen 9/11 victims that claim that his capture would offer them little solace?

I lost a good friend on 9/11, and other folks who I knew in my town were also killed. I will be very happy when he's captured or dead.
I'm speaking for friends who lost loved ones, whom I can't imagine for the life of me being "happy" at all. I live in NYC, I don't know anyone here who would.

"I, for one, will probably remember where I was when I heard that Osama bin Laden is dead. But I probably won't dance or laugh out loud. As an American, I will feel vindicated. As a human, I will remember to mourn his victims once again."

http://dir.salon.com/mwt/feature/200...act/index.html

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 05:38 PM

So what ? Either way he'll be dead. We're in the process of "martyring" plenty of terrorists. Call it for what you want. Dead they will be.
And what will his death solve, exactly? Besides a few rounds of cheers from certain quarters, of course. Hey don't get me wrong, if and when he's captured (I just read that they're backing off on those predictions, fwiw), I'll have a feeling of "bout f-ing time", but I'll hardly be happy about it. Meanwhile marines are still dying in Iraq, and I'm really not sure why.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by deedar:
RUMOR MONGER!!!!!!!

No liquid nitrogen for Walt!
Darn. I'll have to check my sources again...

f1000
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 06:05 PM

And what will his death solve, exactly? Besides a few rounds of cheers from certain quarters, of course. Hey don't get me wrong, if and when he's captured (I just read that they're backing off on those predictions, fwiw), I'll have a feeling of "bout f-ing time", but I'll hardly be happy about it. Meanwhile marines are still dying in Iraq, and I'm really not sure why.
It'll guarantee that OBL won't be leading an attack on WTC 2.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2004, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
It'll guarantee that OBL won't be leading an attack on WTC 2.
He certainly won't have to, since you've helped recruit so many thousands of new followers.

Lerkfish
Sep 6, 2004, 06:24 PM

bush has stated he doesn't care if we catch Osama, he's not important. So that "ilk" is ALREADY in the white house.

f1000
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
He certainly won't have to, since you've helped recruit so many thousands of new followers.
And you, as a member of Al Qaeda HR, would know this?

Joshua
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
bush has stated he doesn't care if we catch Osama, he's not important. So that "ilk" is ALREADY in the white house.
That's a gross oversimplification. The "I don't care" comment about bin Laden supposedly came from a March 13, 2002 press conference. Here's what he actually said:

Q____Mr. President, in your speeches now you rarely talk or mention Osama bin Laden.__Why is that?__Also, can you tell the American people if you have any more information, if you know if he is dead or alive?__Final part__--__deep in your heart, don't you truly believe that until you find out if he is dead or alive, you won't really eliminate the threat of__--

THE PRESIDENT:__Deep in my heart I know the man is on the run, if he's alive at all.__Who knows if he's hiding in some cave or not; we haven't heard from him in a long time.__[b]And the idea of focusing on one person is --__really indicates to me people don't understand the scope of the mission.

Terror is bigger than one person.__And he's just__--__he's a person who's now been marginalized.__His network, his host government has been destroyed.__He's the ultimate parasite who found weakness, exploited it, and met his match.__He is__--__as I mentioned in my speech, I do mention the fact that this is a fellow who is willing to commit youngsters to their death and he, himself, tries to hide__--__if, in fact, he's hiding at all.

So I don't know where he is.__You know, I just don't spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you.__I'm more worried about making sure that our soldiers are well-supplied; that the strategy is clear; that the coalition is strong; that when we find enemy bunched up like we did in Shahikot Mountains, that the military has all the support it needs to go in and do the job, which they did.

And there will be other battles in Afghanistan.__There's going to be other struggles like Shahikot, and I'm just as confident about the outcome of those future battles as I was about Shahikot, where our soldiers are performing brilliantly.__We're tough, we're strong, they're well-equipped. We have a good strategy.__We are showing the world we know how to fight a guerrilla war with conventional means.

Q____But don't you believe that the threat that bin Laden posed won't truly be eliminated until he is found either dead or alive?

THE PRESIDENT:__Well, as I say, we haven't heard much from him.__And I wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure.__And, again, I don't know where he is.__I__--__I'll repeat what I said.__I truly am not that concerned about him.__I know he is on the run.__I was concerned about him, when he had taken over a country.__I was concerned about the fact that he was basically running Afghanistan and calling the shots for the Taliban.

But once we set out the policy and started executing the plan, he became__--__we shoved him out more and more on the margins.__He has no place to train his al Qaeda killers anymore.__And if we__--__excuse me for a minute__--__and if we find a training camp, we'll take care of it. Either we will or our friends will. That's one of the things__--__part of the new phase that's becoming apparent to the American people is that we're working closely with other governments to deny sanctuary, or training, or a place to hide, or a place to raise money.

And we've got more work to do.__See, that's the thing the American people have got to understand, that we've only been at this six months. This is going to be a long struggle.__I keep saying that; I don't know whether you all believe me or not.__But time will show you that it's going to take a long time to achieve this objective.__And I can assure you, I am not going to blink.__And I'm not going to get tired.__Because I know what is at stake.__And history has called us to action, and I am going to seize this moment for the good of the world, for peace in the world and for freedom.
Link
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2004, 06:52 PM

Perhaps, and I'd support any of those scenarios/decisions if that were the case.

I actually think he's been dead for a while, maybe even a few years. However, without such evidence, I refrain from promoting my speculation.
I wouldn't be suprised if he was dead as well. He's well known to have kidney problems (dialysis required). Meaning he's not very mobile. And does need medical attention.

Afganistan is a very big place. Hide the body, and for years people will search. Intelegence reports that he does have body doubles for his protection. It also reports he may have changed his appearance (including dressing like a woman). So what the US is looking for is a very broad description. To broad.

I'd put a lot of backing to your speculation of him being dead.

It's very possible the modern video's of him we are seeing are a body double... and that's what we've been seeing for years. Our government has made it clear they won't rule that out. The video's of more recent times are much shorter, and funny looking compared to shortly after 9/11. There's a definate difference in quality, and how/where it was made.

It would be to Bin Ladens advantage to fake his life after death. He's got nothing to loose. The US could spend several years looking for his body. He gets the last laugh there. And it keeps low al-queda thugs going... thinking he's alive.

If bin Laden has been captured, then at least some of his followers would know. Why would they help keep their leader's capture a secret if publicizing it would start an uprising in Pakistan?

Moreover, Al Qaeda knows by now that we intend to destroy it and bring its conspirators to justice no matter what it does. Why should its members wait until after bin Laden's capture to pull out all the stops?

Al Qaeda was dangerous only because we let it be. Our recent military actions have shown the organization to be comprised of self-important, incredibly naive losers.
Not really. Very few al Queda personnel actually have met with him. He's a very secluded person. He's not a hands on leader. That's done inentionally, because he wants to appear god like. it's also a security issue. His close associates confer with him. Then their associates confer with them. And so on. That's why intelegence from the bottom feeders has proven so worthless. They just make stuff up to play with us. They don't know anything.

I'm sure Bin Laden had a discussion with his associates about his demise and how to continue. I'd bet that it is simply to fake him being alive. Simply because that would be the most beneficial to them. Only a few people need to know the secret. For the rest... they would never know.

Al Queda isn't like the whitehouse where the president is in the media spotlight. It's a very secular structured organization. The top is very organized with power, and priorities.

Below them, you get the cells, which are designed like the internet to be very redundant and self reliant.

Bin Laden wouldn't have a problem faking his death. It would be very easy. There's also quite a bit of motivation. A lot to gain, and literally nothing to loose.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2004, 07:04 PM

And you, as a member of Al Qaeda HR, would know this?
Oh, sorry - you have internet but no news where you live?

I didn't know.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 6, 2004, 07:13 PM

I live in NYC, I don't know anyone here who would.
Do me a favor. Don't speak for all New Yorkers.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 6, 2004, 07:15 PM

We haven't helped recruit anybody. If anybody chooses to join the ranks of the savages, they are free to do so. We'll kill 'em all.

f1000
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 07:21 PM

Not really. Very few al Queda personnel actually have met with him. He's a very secluded person. He's not a hands on leader. That's done inentionally, because he wants to appear god like. it's also a security issue. His close associates confer with him.
As I said before, at least SOME of his followers would know that he had been killed or captured. Those followers, as you suggest, would undoubtedly be his closest lieutenants.

If, as you say, the revelation of bin Laden's capture would rile up Pakistan's populace in Al Qaeda's favor, then why wouldn't these lieutenants go public with his capture?

I'm sure Bin Laden had a discussion with his associates about his demise and how to continue. I'd bet that it is simply to fake him being alive. Simply because that would be the most beneficial to them. Only a few people need to know the secret. For the rest... they would never know.
Here you admit that Al Qaeda probably has more to lose by revealing bin Laden's death or capture than by concealing it. If that's the case, then why would the U.S. want to keep his death or capture a secret?

Bin Laden wouldn't have a problem faking his death.
If OBL fakes his own death, then when the U.S. eventually declares that he has been killed, Al Qaeda would have to agree. What's the point of bin Laden faking his own death if his organization insists that he's alive? That would defeat the purpose of his faking his death.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2004, 07:36 PM

As I said before, at least SOME of his followers would know that he had been killed or captured. Those followers, as you suggest, would undoubtedly be his closest lieutenants.

If, as you say, the revelation of bin Laden's capture would rile up Pakistan's populace in Al Qaeda's favor, then why wouldn't these lieutenants go public with his capture?
Because they know it would mean the US backing the Pakistani government. It's a nuclear power, we would never let it fall. It's also been the #1 intelegence source the US has. It's very critical to our national security (as well as the region) that it stays intact.

Al Qaeda isn't strong enough to take Iraq... just create a ton of turmoil.

But Pakistan is also the only real Islamic Nuclear power... bit big + for their side.

US gets to fearful of their security, and decides to disarm it, that gives Israel and India a big advantage.

Keeping Pakistan intact means security for everyone. Right now it's a delicate stalemate. Israel does something stupid, Pakistan is right there. And vice versa. India's very in there too.

It wouldn't be a win for Al Qaeda. It would just disturb the advantage they have.

It would be a loss for the US... but a bigger loss for them.

Here you admit that Al Qaeda probably has more to lose by revealing bin Laden's death or capture than by concealing it. If that's the case, then why would the U.S. want to keep his death or capture a secret?
Simply because of the turmoil it could unleash. If it's quiet, the US can do intelegence gathering. If news gets out, al queda cells may go for one last fling. Not what the US wants.

Again, right now Pakistan looks pretty stable, and is as helpful as it can be without threatening it's stability (and endangering the US). That's a GIANT advantage having someone that close doing that work for us (and the fact alone that it's not us is key).

The whole 'bin laden is in the freezer' bit would be good for Bush personally... but the reaction of the world would put the US in a situation that would mor than counteract this.

If OBL fakes his own death, then when the U.S. eventually declares that he has been killed, Al Qaeda would have to agree. What's the point of bin Laden faking his own death if his organization insists that he's alive? That would defeat the purpose of his faking his death.
Al Queda is a structured organization. You can kill the head and it still functions. Much like our president. He goes, and the country still operates.

Bin Laden's death is really more Clausewitzian military strategy than real logistical advantage.

f1000
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 07:38 PM

I didn't know.
I appreciate your honesty.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2004, 08:10 PM

I appreciate your honesty.
Hey!

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2004, 08:25 PM

I'm speaking for friends who lost loved ones, whom I can't imagine for the life of me being "happy" at all. I live in NYC, I don't know anyone here who would.
"Happy" was probably the wrong word, but to claim on behalf of the families and friends of those killed that they'd feel little to no solace is ridiculous.

Is it your opinion that we should just call off the search and let him roam, plan, and plot at will?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2004, 08:27 PM

We haven't helped recruit anybody. If anybody chooses to join the ranks of the savages, they are free to do so. We'll kill 'em all.
From the perspective of the average Arab, the actions of your nation may have proven the claim by many, such as OBL, that the US has an anti-Arab agenda.

NOTE: I'm not saying that those actions have proven an anti-Arab agenda, just that from some perspectives it might seem that way.

If Arabs believe that the US is attacking them as a people, recent US actions may actually drive Arabs fence sitters to unite in the al Qaeda ranks.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 6, 2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
From the perspective of the average Arab, the actions of your nation may have proven the claim by many, such as OBL, that the US has an anti-Arab agenda.

NOTE: I'm not saying that those actions have proven an anti-Arab agenda, just that from some perspectives it might seem that way.

If Arabs believe that the US is attacking them as a people, recent US actions may actually drive Arabs fence sitters to unite in the al Qaeda ranks.
Not our problem. It doesn't matter what we do. The enemy (Al Qaeda etc.) will continue with their propaganda regardless of what we do. Arab government controlled newspapers are also excellent sources of recruitment.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 09:04 PM

Is it your opinion that we should just call off the search and let him roam, plan, and plot at will? [/B]
Of course not.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2004, 09:31 PM

Not our problem. It doesn't matter what we do. The enemy (Al Qaeda etc.) will continue with their propaganda regardless of what we do. Arab government controlled newspapers are also excellent sources of recruitment.
Of course it is your problem. The more members al Qaeda gets, the more dangerous they become. Yes, the "enemy" will continue with their propaganda. But, perhaps it would be better to try proving them wrong rather than continually proving them right. Prove them wrong and potential recruits might choose to side with you rather than against you.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 6, 2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Of course it is your problem. The more members al Qaeda gets, the more dangerous they become. Yes, the "enemy" will continue with their propaganda. But, perhaps it would be better to try proving them wrong rather than continually proving them right. Prove them wrong and potential recruits might choose to side with you rather than against you.
Sorry, I don't believe that anybody joining Al-Qaeda would ever join our side to begin with. We don't need to play nice with anybody, nor do we need to suck up to a bunch of people, who don't like us. Like I said, I don't really care what they do. If they choose to join the enemy, they have sealed their fate.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2004, 10:06 PM

Sorry, I don't believe that anybody joining Al-Qaeda would ever join our side to begin with. We don't need to play nice with anybody, nor do we need to suck up to a bunch of people, who don't like us. Like I said, I don't really care what they do. If they choose to join the enemy, they have sealed their fate.
The trick is to NOT DRIVE THEM TO JOIN UP IN THE FIRST PLACE.

C'mon - this is not *that* hard to grasp.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 10:11 PM

It does not mean much anyway anymore.

OBL is as important as any straw man. Like Hussein, Like that guy in Korea, or any future nemesis...

Once he'll be captured/killed, he'll become a martyr and more will follow.

He's the prom queen sought for by the ugly duckling. But that search is useless, because there will always be a mythology of the capture of the prize because it is the only reason to move forward.

King Georges and the hunt for the Dragon. Same thing...

Like these discussions in these threads; the search is endless and has no point as long as there is confrontation and showdown of the loudmouths and the "powerful". Innocents be damned as long as they serve their purpose; scapegoats for warfare.

Forum Links
Forum Rules