Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Berlin wall

The Berlin wall
Monique
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2009, 10:43 AM

Yesterday was a great anniversary the fall of the Berlin wall; funny how each group is trying to take advantage of the situation. The group who is responsible for the fall of the wall is the German who got tired of it. The soldiers were ready to fire but decided not to because they were too many. This is just it, people got tired of a bankrupt regime and now it is over; the same thing happens in all the other communist countries that are not capitalist. Reagan and the pope has nothing to do with it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2009, 10:45 AM

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2009, 11:20 AM

I was fortunate enough to be in Berlin for New Years Eve in 1989. Those are memories I will cherish for the rest of my life. My partner and I were on an extended holiday traveling throughout western Europe and on a whim decided to fly to Berlin on 29th Dec. We had nowhere to stay and didn't know a single soul. It seems they had been announcing on TV and radio there would be more visitors than accommodations so they asked the locals to offer up any rooms they may have to rent. We put our names on a waiting list and were told that it would be many hours before we would hear anything. Luck was on our side as not 20 minutes later did we hear our names called.... they had found a couple that was specifically looking for non-smoking English speakers, preferably Americans. They were native Berliners (both doctors) about our parents age and were thrilled to share this monumental occasion with us. They treated us like family and I will never forget them.

On New Years Eve, we worked our way down to Brandenburg Gate, hopped on the wall with all the other revelers and celebrated till dawn. I still have a few chunks of the wall that I chipped off myself. On our flight back to Paris the pilot joked about the plane being too heavy from the weight of the pieces that everyone was taking with them. That was a once in a lifetime experience.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2009, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I was fortunate enough to be in Berlin for New Years Eve in 1989. Those are memories I will cherish for the rest of my life. My partner and I were on an extended holiday traveling throughout western Europe and on a whim decided to fly to Berlin on 29th Dec. We had nowhere to stay and didn't know a single soul. It seems they had been announcing on TV and radio there would be more visitors than accommodations so they asked the locals to offer up any rooms they may have to rent. We put our names on a waiting list and were told that it would be many hours before we would hear anything. Luck was on our side as not 20 minutes later did we hear our names called.... they had found a couple that was specifically looking for non-smoking English speakers, preferably Americans. They were native Berliners (both doctors) about our parents age and were thrilled to share this monumental occasion with us. They treated us like family and I will never forget them.

On New Years Eve, we worked our way down to Brandenburg Gate, hopped on the wall with all the other revelers and celebrated till dawn. I still have a few chunks of the wall that I chipped off myself. On our flight back to Paris the pilot joked about the plane being too heavy from the weight of the pieces that everyone was taking with them. That was a once in a lifetime experience.
Great story

Are you still in touch with the doctors?

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Nov 10, 2009, 11:29 AM

I decided I wanted to visit a communist country back in the winter of 89. By chance I decided on Czechoslovakia and got my visa. I arrived in Prague around 11/1, and only a few days later people were marching towards the main square. Tourists were being pulled off the streets and questioned by police. Next thing I new I was part of the protests. It was cold, and I was set on travelling to the Mediterranean for awhile. Watching the news, seeing people dancing on the wall, I wish I traveled west instead of south.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Great story

Are you still in touch with the doctors?
Unfortunately I lost touch with them.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Reagan and the pope has nothing to do with it.
You're right.(not!) It was Gorbachev's weakness in not ordering tanks in like Khrushchev did in Hungary. If he had put down the Solidarność movement and had Walesa assassinated, Poland would still be under his thumb.

Zhao Ziyang, now there's a dear leader who knows how to put down an uprising.
http://www.cnd.org/June4th/photos/mascr003.gif
( Last edited by Chongo; Nov 11, 2009 at 11:21 AM. )
45/47

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
the pope has nothing to do with it.
Wrong.
The Pope's support of the Solidarnosc Union in his native country of Poland was a key element as to why the heavily Catholic population got behind the movement. The union's ability to take root influenced anti-communist notions all over the Eastern Bloc and fed the wave of political victories which eventually led to the fall of communism.
Its a little simplified but given who I am talking to it should suffice.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 12:29 AM

it was called glasnost and perestroika that started it

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Wrong.
The Pope's support of the Solidarnosc Union in his native country of Poland was a key element as to why the heavily Catholic population got behind the movement. The union's ability to take root influenced anti-communist notions all over the Eastern Bloc and fed the wave of political victories which eventually led to the fall of communism.
Its a little simplified but given who I am talking to it should suffice.

Not in Germany, which was the Anniversary about. Each country in the Eastern block is responsible for its own freedom.

Forum Links
Forum Rules