Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Quick Opinions Please

Quick Opinions Please
NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 17, 2008, 10:24 AM

hey guys, just doing a quick ident for myself and wondered if i could grab a few quick opinions on this please:

the text i have applied in the final text, its just in place to give you an idea of how the text shall look in the final version, i need to work on the reflection no the right hand branch or the logo, not quite sure what to do with that to get the shape right, any ideas? also the bottom glow im not 100% sure is right, any comments?

thanks

matt
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

Thorzdad
Nov 17, 2008, 11:03 AM

Not sure what you mean by "get the shape right". Is it that the horizontal bar looks proportionately fatter than the vertical bar? That's fairly easy to adjust for on the base art before you apply the perspective distortion.

The lower yellow glow is a bit distracting, since it is very localized. Maybe just make the red darker toward the bottom and spread it out some, and not make it so much of a localized spot.

Also, you might want to think about using a different color for the cross. Both the International Red Cross and Johnson+Johnson tend to defend their respective red cross trademarks fairly actively.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 17, 2008, 11:30 AM

the getting the shape right was in reference to the end angle of the gloss effect on the right arm, im not sure what it should be. i see what you mean about the width but its a little harder to get right then you think because this is originally drawn in 1 (or 2 if it was 3d) point persecutive, its not just a transformation applied to a vector

oh and the colour yer should have said, yet to finalize on that was the first colour i clicked on to work with

andi*pandi
Nov 17, 2008, 12:47 PM

It's very shiny but the first thing I thought was red cross. Changing color won't help you as there's also blue cross... maybe there's no purple cross!

what does a cross say about you?

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 17, 2008, 04:19 PM

lol i was just coming back here to drop you an update image of a few changes i had made, one been the change of colour to blue... and now im being told theres a blue cross sigh

it has a few meanings to me, its drawn in a style that i like in many ways, i really like technical drawing, straight edge stuff, and i really like the challenge of drawing in perspective like this:

it also is developed from the idea of a 4 way switch (like a light switch) which in someways is very much like my personality. its also a + symbol which relates to my enjoyment of maths and solving problems. also as well as it being a drawing style, its a drawing style i used a lot when i did product design at college which was my best subject so its kind of a knod back to that. so it means a few things to me, but things you wouldnt get just by looking at it

red rocket
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2008, 05:20 AM

I have to admit, what you did there with the ‘horizontal’ lines in the text not being horizontal in relation to the vanishing point of the cross and the upper and lower borders of the text, I find that a bit irritating to look at. Interesting, as I assume you’ve done it on purpose, but it kind of makes me wish there were something similarly out of whack with the cross, like maybe warp it around ever so slightly towards the observer, or something.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 19, 2008, 05:49 AM

lol i said dont comment on the text, i literally grabbed the pen tool and drew some letters, that bit is not designed what so ever

Im thinking of dropping the Gloss, has a sesh in uni today talking about where to take it, might make it a little 3d too as it seems my project is going to go down a very origami route

timothymoses
Banned
Nov 19, 2008, 08:15 AM

Its nice but it looks like a red cross why cant you put some glow on it...

andi*pandi
Nov 19, 2008, 11:32 AM

If you want the cross to look more directional, why not put some arrows on each arm? Of course then you risk looking like a game controller... but the blue cross on its own isn't saying much other than HEALTH INSURANCE.

I like the perspective angle. You might want to try working on your text, while I like it it doesn't go with "glowy gel" cross.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 19, 2008, 12:00 PM

cool, ok well im gonna do some work on it this evening and shall post back with what i get up 2 thanks

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 30, 2008, 09:45 PM

ok ive gone away, and changed the idea a few times and have finally come to this...

you are the first people to see this, been done all for 1 min, any responses on the new logo please?

Railroader
Banned
Dec 1, 2008, 05:25 PM

Drop the grey. The glow is too centered.

But I like the collection of colors and placement.

andi*pandi
Dec 2, 2008, 03:22 PM

I like it. It seems a little video-gamey, but that might be cool.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 3, 2008, 09:22 AM

this is without the silver bits, my tutor wanted me to get shot of them too, but i prefer them, i think i could maybe use it in both versions when needed, make it more of an association with the shape and colour, we also came up with the idea of also doing it from time to time with objects, say 5 tins of paint in the right colours

red rocket
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 09:52 AM

Just noticed something.

Because the horizontal row reminds me of a traffic light, I instinctively look at it from the right. I would prefer to look at it from the left, though. Firstly, because it would feel more as if I was looking up/outward/bigger rather than down/distant/smaller, secondly because it’s more natural to me because of the way most English books’ spines are printed upon.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2008, 11:16 AM

I have to say, I prefer it with the grey boxes, too—it’s just that they’re too big. Narrow them down, but don’t remove them entirely; I think that would make the better effect here.

Thorzdad
Dec 3, 2008, 01:02 PM

Look closely at the shape of the color areas on the version with the gray frames. See how, on each color block, there are two rounded corners and two sharp corners? That should be the shape of the colors without the frames. Then, stack the colors close together to keep the cross motif.
I think the new shape of the colors will add a nice dynamic to the arrangement.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 5, 2008, 12:27 PM

ok having a bit of a nightmare now, feel like what ever i do im just banging my head against a wall, i have taken the logo you see above and moved it in 3 directions:

any more opinions would be fantastic

Thorzdad
Dec 5, 2008, 12:43 PM

That last b/w one is nice and graphic.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 5, 2008, 01:06 PM

yer i quite like that one, tutors dont seem to however and people seem to prefer no 1

Railroader
Banned
Dec 11, 2008, 07:17 PM

I do prefer #1.

shellyl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2008, 11:57 PM

I like 2 for colour, and 3 works well as mono.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2008, 02:05 AM

i like number 3 all the way!
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 17, 2008, 07:11 AM

ok thanks for all you comments back on the design, for the moment i have actually finished the deisgn and handed in, waiting for feedback in the new year, but obviously i wont stop working on it atm because its also going to be used for me as a personal website (which i have a test vesrion online atm www.5colouredcubes.co.uk/test) and ill put together a pack today showing you how it ended up looking

Forum Links
Forum Rules