Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > You Cant Close a .Mac Account!?

You Cant Close a .Mac Account!?
NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Feb 19, 2009, 07:44 AM

Please Ignore this post as i was incorrect with my question to apple therefore the post is not valid, but i have picked the topic back up in my next post further down

Transcript of a chat with an adviser this morning on the apple site:

Hi, my name is Anne. Welcome to Apple!
Good morning

hey, are you able to advice me on how i can close a .mac account on an e-mail address
basicaly i have 2 .mac accounts and i want to switch the e-mail address of the active one to dormant one, but obv i cant because its currently set up as a .mac account, so i need to close it

We do not have a way to close an account it would run out after the year expiration date.

so there no way of closing it?

Unfortunately, not.
Just to let the account run out.

and that'll take... a year?

Depending on when it was purchased.

christmas, sigh
right well im not impressed, but thanks for your ti43433333qme
I know a few of your are gonna come on and go, well why dont you use the one with the correct e-mail address, well it sounds daft but i like the keep the same account for all my ordered from mac, so i dont look like a new customer.

and why did i end up with a .mac account on the 2nd e-mail address, cause on the phone (while getting a quote) they asked for my e-mail address so i gave them my new one, and now i have a .mac account on it

its stupid, why cant i close the account!

Matt
( Last edited by NobleMatt; Feb 19, 2009 at 11:12 AM. )
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2009, 08:43 AM

I'm really confused. You signed up for two separate paid .mac accounts under two different .mac email addresses?

Also, I can see why they wouldn't just close the account - you pay for a year of service up front, so it would be unfair to you to just cancel the account and lose the $100.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2009, 10:27 AM

I'm confused as well, I'm not sure what the problem is, just use what ever email account you prefer. While it does seem odd, that you cannot cancel the mobileme account, just do what the service rep recommended, let it run out.

what's the big deal if you look like a new customer, I'm not sure what the point there is, sorry but I'm really missing some of the issues.
~Mike

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Feb 19, 2009, 10:58 AM

ok shouldnt have said .mac account then, i just mean apple account or whatever its called, the one you use to login so apple know who you are on the store and stuff, Apple ID...... ahh now i see *red face* i shouldnt have said .mac account

UPDATE: i have just spoke to them on the website again, and was told it is not possible to close an Apple ID, so i cant switch my current account to the new e-mail address cause when i quoted that e-mail address on the phone once they set up an apple account on it, but i dont want to lose all my saves stuff under the current e-mail address.

Note: if an admin could change the topic title to Apple ID not .Mac account
( Last edited by NobleMatt; Feb 19, 2009 at 11:10 AM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 19, 2009, 11:09 AM

OK, let's take it from the top, using coherent sentences this time.

Apple has basically two account types for customers:
  1. Apple ID, which is your unified customer login for everything on apple.com, including support, Store, Developer Connection, rebates, etc., as well as for iTunes, iPhoto, and Aperture purchases.
  2. .mac/MobileMe, if you pay for that service. Note that a .mac/MM account is automatically an Apple ID as well!

So what exactly is the problem you are trying to resolve, and what account types are we talking about here?

Thorzdad
Feb 19, 2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
...and was told it is not possible to close an Apple ID, so i cant switch my current account to the new e-mail address cause when i quoted that e-mail address on the phone once they set up an apple account on it, but i dont want to lose all my saves stuff under the current e-mail address.
Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding...All you want is to change the email address on your Apple ID? Is that right?
You can very easily do this with the user controls after you've logged-on to Apple's website. Log on to My Info You can change your email address there.

Of course, if I was wrong about wanting to change your email address, please ignore all that.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2009, 04:45 PM

ok shouldnt have said .mac account then, i just mean apple account or whatever its called, the one you use to login so apple know who you are on the store and stuff, Apple ID...... ahh now i see *red face* i shouldnt have said .mac account

UPDATE: i have just spoke to them on the website again, and was told it is not possible to close an Apple ID, so i cant switch my current account to the new e-mail address cause when i quoted that e-mail address on the phone once they set up an apple account on it, but i dont want to lose all my saves stuff under the current e-mail address.

Note: if an admin could change the topic title to Apple ID not .Mac account
You're trying to cancel an e-mail account and transfer the e-mails you've saved to another account?

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Feb 20, 2009, 06:04 AM

bugger me am i speaking another language or something? or is everyone just being a retard today?

I have 2 Apple ID's one of them i use, the other i dont (mainly because i never asked for it to be set up but apple decided to do so anyway, so when i came to try and change the e-mail address of the current active Apple ID it wouldnt let me, because the new address is currently already assigned to an Aapple ID that apple created for me once. However i dont want to lose all my details ect under my active Apple ID so dont just want to start using the new one, i want to close the new account so i can free up my e-mail address to be used on the old Apple ID
( Last edited by NobleMatt; Feb 20, 2009 at 01:06 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Feb 20, 2009, 08:45 AM

... and you are calling everyone else a retard?!?!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 02:09 PM

bugger me am i speaking another language or something? or is everyone just being a retard today?
You are the one who seems ill equipped to convey your problem

I have 2 Apple ID's one of them i use, the other i dont (mainly because i never asked for it to be set up but apple decided to do so anyway, so when i came to try and change the e-mail address of the current active Apple ID it wouldnt let me, because the new address is currently already assigned to an Aapple ID that apple created for me once. However i dont want to lose all my details ect under my active Apple ID so dont just want to start using the new one, i want to close the new account so i can free up my e-mail address to be used on the old Apple ID
Solution - Use your active one and ignore the other one.

By the way apple does not and will not merge duplicate apple-ids so your only option is to use the active one and ignore the other one.
~Mike

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Feb 20, 2009, 03:06 PM

its daft that u cant though, that is an account that can hold all your personal details like Credit Card details and things like address ect, surely its a case of data protection act?

Forum Links
Forum Rules