Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Looking for a good Mac instant messaging client

Looking for a good Mac instant messaging client
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2009, 05:48 PM

With my new job I have to instant message clients on a variety of platforms, aim, google, msn, yahoo, ichat (mobileme), icq, and myspace.
I have looked at ichat and like it but it doesn't work with many of the above services. Also, I have seen some clients that may work with msn but chat only, not video. I want to be able to use video whenever possible.
What are some good mac instant messaging clients that I should look at? Thank you for your help.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2009, 06:08 PM

Adium

Cold Warrior
Aug 23, 2009, 07:18 PM

One of our stickies has a number of apps listed. Adium is the first one.

http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...n-do-i-use-if/

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2009, 07:56 PM

Adium is great, BUT does not support video chat. As far as I know, no Mac client supports video chat with MSN/Live Messenger -- not even the official Microsoft Messenger client.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Adium is great, BUT does not support video chat. As far as I know, no Mac client supports video chat with MSN/Live Messenger -- not even the official Microsoft Messenger client.
I know with Yahoo messenger you can add MSN/Live contacts, and Yahoo messenger supports video chat. Not sure if they BOTH work together, but I don't see why they can't.

Also, there's aMSN, which supposedly has video chat.

I don't use MSN/Live so I can't say anything about those 2 programs, but just wanted to point that out.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

poison
Aug 26, 2009, 05:48 PM

one question ...

why do instant messaging apps suck at file transfers? Ive got a 10mb dsl line and when i try to send stuff over adium it sends the files at maybe 5kb?! Msn messenger from microsoft also...

any solutions?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by poison View Post
one question ...

why do instant messaging apps suck at file transfers? Ive got a 10mb dsl line and when i try to send stuff over adium it sends the files at maybe 5kb?! Msn messenger from microsoft also...

any solutions?
Open the necessary ports on your router. I know that when receiving stuff, if the sending party can't make a direct connection to your client, MSN will send through the MSN servers -- and that's when you get the 5 KB/s. You can also see if your router supports UPNP and/or NAT-PMP ... enable both.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
I know with Yahoo messenger you can add MSN/Live contacts, and Yahoo messenger supports video chat. Not sure if they BOTH work together, but I don't see why they can't.

Also, there's aMSN, which supposedly has video chat.

I don't use MSN/Live so I can't say anything about those 2 programs, but just wanted to point that out.
And there's also Mercury
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Aug 26, 2009 at 09:21 PM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

dzp111
Senior User
Aug 26, 2009, 09:32 PM

Adium. Tried 'em all and always come back to it.

However, depending on your needs, Skype is the way to go (messaging and/or video). You just have to convince others to use it too, which for some reason, is not easy.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules