Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Speculation: Jobs and iPhone

Speculation: Jobs and iPhone
calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2011, 02:21 PM

We are all mourning and moved by the news we heard yesterday. Man, f*ck cancer. Seriously.

But I can't help speculating if announcing an iPhone 5, or whatever else, was delayed because of Steve's condition. Surely they knew he was going to pass away (he did the day after the keynote, no less) and that news would totally engulf any other product they released. (It shows how human we all are: no product Apple or anyone could ever announce would ever make up for the terrible loss yesterday, even the Android Fanboys are paying tributes.)

Did Tim know that Steve might be closing his eyes for the last time, while he was giving the keynote?

I, for one, don't think that Steve would have wanted Apple's business to be influenced by his death, but at the same time it is impossible for it not to be.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 03:15 PM

My first thought when I read the title was that the iPhone gave him cancer. Am I a bad person?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
My first thought when I read the title was that the iPhone gave him cancer. Am I a bad person?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

-Q-
Oct 6, 2011, 03:31 PM

There is speculation that they honored his absence:

Did Apple quietly pay tribute to Steve Jobs during Tuesday’s iPhone event?�|�Edible Apple

Some people may have known he was not long for the world, but I don't know that they would have held off announcing the 5 for that. The 4S introduction follows the pattern they established with the 3G and 3GS.

But no, I don't think they knew anything, especially when they sent the invitation over a week ago.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2011, 03:31 PM

I really need to pay more attention to what I name my threads.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 03:42 PM

Saw this pic at reddit yesterday: Steve's reserved seat for the Keynote. They expected him to come.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2011, 03:43 PM

It's a good thing you edited that

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 06:19 PM

Yeah.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 01:20 AM

A lot of clueless pundits have assumed that the 4S debuted because Steve wasn't able to work his magic anymore. In truth, it was an uninformed assumption to make that Apple would toss out the iPhone 4 design after only a year, when we've seen that iPhone case designs last longer than that historically. But the rumor mill got out of control, which led to general needless disappointment. Steve's resignation and the end of his illness had nothing to do with the iPhone 4S not living up to the inflated expectations that people had. The iPhone 4S is what many expected and should have looked forward to all along. Anything else was just rumor-mongering and ignorance run amok.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 01:56 AM

Yeah, after listening to This is My Next's podcast, it seems kinda silly that this would occur.

Still, Apple handled the situation really well. I feel really lost without Steve, though. Like my faith in the company will require some proof. I assume a lot of people have that burning question... where to from here?

Please, God, don't let them become another Sony. Or HP. Or RIM.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
Yeah, after listening to This is My Next's podcast, it seems kinda silly that this would occur.

Still, Apple handled the situation really well. I feel really lost without Steve, though. Like my faith in the company will require some proof. I assume a lot of people have that burning question... where to from here?

Please, God, don't let them become another Sony. Or HP. Or RIM.
I wonder...
Steve Wozniak says would consider return to Apple
This, as of April of this year.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules