Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel CPU updates

Intel CPU updates
P
May 3, 2016, 04:29 AM

This seems to have gone under the radar. Intel has added the Skylake versions of the CPUs in the 21.5" iMac. They go under the glorious names of i7-6785R, i5-6685R, and i5-6585R. These chips include the full-fat Iris Pro GPU (AKA GT4e, AKA Iris Pro Graphics 580), which means 50% more GPU power on top of the efficiency increases from Broadwell to Skylake.

Intel® Core™ i7-6785R Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz) Specifications
Intel® Core™ i5-6685R Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) Specifications
Intel® Core™ i5-6585R Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz) Specifications

The iMac isn't quite as far behind in the update cycle as some models, but it is about due for an update this summer or so.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
May 3, 2016, 01:29 PM

Are they socket-compatible with current models? Perhaps a DIY upgrade option?

P  (op)
May 3, 2016, 01:53 PM

No, Skylake is not backwards compatible with anything. Also these specific chips are soldered, so a home upgrade would be... challenging.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2016, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Are they socket-compatible with current models? Perhaps a DIY upgrade option?
Were any of the Intel iMacs ever socketed? I know the aluminum ones have all been soldered, but it's been a looong time since I cracked open a white Intel model.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

P  (op)
May 20, 2016, 03:20 AM

Aluminium iMacs after the switch to desktop CPUs, ie Late 2009, 2010, and 2011 models, are socketed. Mine certainly is. The 21.5" moved to soldered with the ultra-slim 2012 models, but the 27" stayed with socketed and still remains so. See step 5 for instance:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac...Teardown/17828

For the earlier models... iFixit claims that they used PGA sockets, but then those are laptop CPUs, so FCLGA isn't available, and anyway replacement CPUs are trickier to source. I have never worked on one of them myself, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P  (op)
Jun 1, 2016, 07:27 AM

AMD has announced that the Radeon 480, the GPU that is very likely to show up in the next top iMac, is available June 29 (along with some basic specs).

PlayerUp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2016, 03:30 PM

nice updates!

Forum Links
Forum Rules