Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > any reason why not to my a MBP now?

any reason why not to my a MBP now?
NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jan 2, 2009, 06:43 PM

hey guys,

now im in my last year of uni, and looking out into the big bad world of graphic design, i thought i should buy a MBP while i can still use my student discount. i have the money put away, and now the new MBP is out is there any reason i should wait till just before i graduate to buy one? my mum has it in her head that thats the time to buy it, just before i graduate. but i think on the other hand with my final major project coming up getting it now would allow me to work while in uni in front of tutors and make changes there in font of them for instant feedback.

im opening this up to discussion as there might be something im not seeing, and also a way for my mum to see the wider opinion on the matter.

laptop im thinking of getting:

MBP
2.4GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
15-inch widescreen
4GB Memory
250GB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

any suggestions about changing the spec?

Matt
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2009, 08:17 PM

Instability with >6GB RAM and continued uncertainty about the reliability of nVidia's chip manufacturing.

Buy 2GB RAM from Apple (get the base model instead of a custom one) and upgrade the RAM yourself. May also want to spend the $90 to upgrade the hard drive to 320GB/7200RPM yourself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules