Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" Unibdy MBP charging to 99%

15" Unibdy MBP charging to 99%
NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Mar 2, 2009, 08:13 AM

I think i know why, but this is my first apple laptop so im not sure, but my MBP will only charge to 99%, does this mean its lost 1% of it capacity?

bit shocking to say its not even a week old if thats the case!
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2009, 08:23 AM

No, it doesn't mean you lost 1% capacity. This is a common laptop issue. The battery is in actuality fully charged, but the software isn't calibrated properly. Unplug it, let it run down until you start getting battery warnings, then recharge. It should charge to 100%. If not, the next step is to reset the power manager, but try this first.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Mar 2, 2009, 08:52 AM

oh cool, thanks, was a bit miffed if it was losing capacity already lol
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2009, 12:53 PM

That's perfectly normal, no need to reset anything:

Symptoms
Some Apple portable computers (PowerBook G4, iBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook, and MacBook Air) may not show the battery as 100 percent charged in Mac OS X, even when the power adapter is connected.

The battery may appear to stop charging between 93 percent and 99 percent. Note: PowerPC-based computers may stop charging between 95 and 99 percent; Intel-based computers may stop charging between 93 and 99 percent.

Resolution
This is normal. The batteries used in these computers are designed to avoid short discharge/charge cycles in order to prolong the overall life of the battery.

When setting the Mac OS X battery status menu bar icon to display charge state by percentage, you may notice that the reported charge stays between 93 or 95 percent and 99 percent.

To allow the adapter to recharge the battery to 100%, simply allow the charge to drop below 93%. The adapter will automatically recharge the battery to 100%.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules