Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > What customer info do devs get when we buy apps?

What customer info do devs get when we buy apps?
Cold Warrior
Dec 8, 2013, 03:46 PM

I'm curious and haven't found an answer online. Do they get our email, names, what? I was prompted to consider this after I started getting emails from the company of an app I purchased, and I'm fairly sure I never game them my email address.

P
Dec 8, 2013, 05:32 PM

I don't think they get anything unless it's a subscription thing. I remember this being a common complaint of the App Store comments - that there is no way to respond to complaints. I think that if they got the sort of customer info you mention, developers would be able to figure out who wrote what and help them at least in some cases.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Dec 8, 2013, 09:31 PM

With the App Store reviews, apple lets us choose a 'cover' name for the reviews, and it seems like a different thing than the business transaction of buying an app. The subscription info has a lot of value to publishers, but even simple email addresses can be a lot nowadays.

P
Dec 9, 2013, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
With the App Store reviews, apple lets us choose a 'cover' name for the reviews, and it seems like a different thing than the business transaction of buying an app.
I know, but my point is that not everyone is going to do that - it will be the same as email or regular name at least some of the time, which means that a developer should be able to answer those complaints some of the time. What I'm hearing is that it's never possible.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules