Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Windows 11

Windows 11
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2021, 03:43 AM

I see Microsoft have finally got round to porting macOS to the PC then.

They also seem to have duplicated the entire apple website.

Flattery is… I suppose.
I’m sure they will have left some windows 7 or 10 dialogues hidden around to pacify the old folk though.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

OreoCookie
Sep 17, 2021, 06:43 AM

I don’t know, I’m not concerned about Windows anymore. Windows 11 seems to have gone over like a lead balloon to the enthusiasts, because it requires a secured BIOS. My brother said he needs to buy a new computer for that reason. What is sad is that probably Microsoft has good reason to do so.

Every time I use Windows, I come across cruft that dates back to at least XP or Windows 2000. I’m amazed how little shirt Microsoft gets. We get upset when Apple forks up the text alignment of dialog boxes (for good reason), but somehow Windows is this weird mishmash of versions and UI styles.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2021, 05:37 PM

There are workarounds for the TPM I believe. Many PCs can accept an external one. Possibly via USB.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 20, 2021, 09:05 AM

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/chan...dress-windows/

https://www.earthnet.net/help/dsl/ds...in95-98-Me.htm

Changing the IP address hasn't really changed since Windows 95. It's an atrocious process and one I have to do frequently as I'm connecting to all sorts of devices on local machine networks.

Since the standard is to skip every other Windows version, this is the one we all skip, right? Or is Microsoft going to auto-install this on everyone's computer overnight and brick half of them?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2021, 04:13 AM

At least you don't have to reboot to change the IP any more. That was a long time in the making.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 22, 2021, 10:33 AM

I remember having to reboot Windows after plugging in a PS/2 keyboard. At some point Microsoft was touting "plug and play" even though I'd been doing that with my ADB keyboards and mice since the early '90s. The one catch I remember is having to reboot my friend's PowerMac 6100 after connecting his ADB joystick so it'd load the right extensions at startup.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2021, 03:09 PM

Boy oh boy, does this look like a Macbook:

Matches Mac… I mean Windows 11 perfectly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules