Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrade G5 DP 2ghz or wait?

Upgrade G5 DP 2ghz or wait?
dankar
Aug 1, 2006, 09:14 PM

I was wondering, should I upgrade my G5 DP 2ghz to: AGP X800XT, 3.5GB ram to 6GB, additional 300GB HD and a dual layer DVD 16X. Or should I wait for th next gen MacPro?

Any advise?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 09:40 PM

With WWDC literally around the corner, the smart move imo is to wait. While your G5 has plenty of life in it and add or upgrading the components you mentioned certainly will increase the longevity of your G5. You may find the new "MacPros" being released next week something you cannot pass up.
Michael

merp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 09:46 PM

I'm waiting, and keeping my DP2GHz. I'm following pretty much the same upgrade path as you, but with 1TB RAID 0 startup disk, a Drive Bracket, SATA controller, and three more SATA disks, a 160, a 250, and a 300, for FCP capture/scratch disk. The machine's not any slower computationally then when it was new, and can still do real work relatively quickly. I'll get an Intel Pro tower at some point, but for now I'm in need of a laptop more than anything, and the Merom-based MB looks like it'll fit perfectly.
If engineers ruled the world, the trains might not run on time, but they'd go really fast, and when they derailed, would explode and kill thousands!

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 09:46 PM

Depends on what you need, when you need it, and how urgently you need it. For me, I didn't need a whole new laptop, and the work I don't doesn't rely on CPU speed, but wanted to spice up my iBook a little for next year at school so I got iLife '06, Tiger, and a 80GB 5400 rpm hard drive for $200. Feels almost like a new machine.

dankar  (op)
Aug 1, 2006, 11:20 PM

I've got the MacBook 2ghz, 2gb ram. It's good enough for me to correct my raw files, pity about the screen size...

Thinking about upgrading my G5 DP, to increase work flow and productivity, not sure how much the MacPro low end unit would cost? Maybe I should wait and see. If it cost less than my budget for upgrades or slightly more, I might consider it. The Blue ray is a plus point, can cold store my back-up hard disks

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by dankar
I've got the MacBook 2ghz, 2gb ram. It's good enough for me to correct my raw files, pity about the screen size...
I have a MB and a mini, the MB is great at some tasks but the glossy screen oversaturates the images so I really don't want to do any image editting on that - at least my photographs. I noticed a very large difference in skin tone on the MB vs. my mini.

My mini running aperture is ok, but I do get the spinning beacball of death from time to time so I'm looking forward a new desktop.

On a side note , if apple does release a new desktop (no guaranteel) and I choose to buy it, I'm tempted to slap the mini inside a Mac Classic case (I just need a 9" lcd display. When I start talking like that my wife just shakes her head. All kidding aside, I really love my mini. The form factor, the silent running. Its like the old G4 cube so the new desktop really needs to look nice and perform.

Mike
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules