Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Win v. MacOS: Total Cost of Ownership

Win v. MacOS: Total Cost of Ownership (Page 3)
Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 11:36 AM

There's little reason for Apple not to use mass market parts when they can get away from it. If they use a widely available USB controller (as they do) they can get it for next to nothing. If they called up a major chip foundry and ordered a limited run of a custom USB controller ASIC they designed they would pay through the nose for them. The non-mass market parts like the processors and system controllers they have to get under special contract from IBM and Motorola. Unlike most PC vendors, Apple's got a hand in the design of their specialized components and as such get the "we own some of the patents and stuffed R&D cash into the development" discount over what IBM/Mot would charge a third party.

TCO cost is not entirely in the cost of a single desktop system, at least not for organizations consisting of more than a handful of people. In the server space Macs beat the crap out of Windows when it comes to cost and functionality. MacOS X Server is pretty competitive with Windows Server 2003 and for an unlimited set of user licenses costs only $999. Windows Server 2003 Standard is $999 for 5 CALs (user or device licences) and $199 for 5-packs of licenses or $799 for 20-packs. That is a lot of money going into just server software and only on a single server.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Dude, 95% of Apple hardware is standard peecee parts.

Right down to the chips on the motherboard.
Except for the BUS and CPU. However, I was referring to Apple designing their own motherboard. The layout, how the chips interact, what technologies are used, the shape, even the color. Dell has to use a preset choice of completed motherboards, Apple can design their motherboards to fit whatever application they want. That's part of the reason Apple can use such unconventional designs in their computer cases. If Apple needs a football shaped motherboard, they can do it. Dell, on the other hand, has to stick with whatever's available.

So, as I said, Apple designs everything from the ground up.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Dell has to use a preset choice of completed motherboards
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=3301

"Additionally, Dell's motherboards have custom form factors to optimise for the best cooling solutions, emissions control, and for quick and easy serviceability"

Hey, I love Apple too. And I have cracked open a Dell at work. They make modifications. They are not as extreme as Apple. But it isn't slapping **** together, but it is close.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2004, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Except for the BUS and CPU. However, I was referring to Apple designing their own motherboard. The layout, how the chips interact, what technologies are used, the shape, even the color. Dell has to use a preset choice of completed motherboards, Apple can design their motherboards to fit whatever application they want. That's part of the reason Apple can use such unconventional designs in their computer cases. If Apple needs a football shaped motherboard, they can do it. Dell, on the other hand, has to stick with whatever's available.

So, as I said, Apple designs everything from the ground up.
Seriously...ALL of the major peecee manufacturers design their own motherboards. They don't often use off-the-shelf motherboards - although I wish they would.

You might be surprised when you find out where Apple's (desktop) motherboards are assembled.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2004, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
You might be surprised when you find out where Apple's (desktop) motherboards are assembled.
I think much more important than where they are assembled is the fact where they are designed. I don't mind if my board is assembled by some manufacturer that makes PC boards too as long as I know that Apple took the time, effort and wits to design it with Mac OS X in mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules