Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > SCSI solution to CD burning

SCSI solution to CD burning
bugs
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2001, 05:42 PM

I gave up on my Que firewire unit. After burning 100 disks it developed firmware problems. This may be related to the Orange Firewire card and the various drivers & extensions I use in my older Mac 9600/350.

So, yesterday I found a SCSI 8/8/24 internal burner at Fry's for $150. It's Pacific Digital brand, the package says it requires Windohs. I popped it in and it works great with Toast 5. OK, not quite so easy- there are jumper blocks that control the SCSI address, parity, termination, & block size. The instructions are pretty clear but nothing specific for Mac users. I left parity on and block size as preset, but changed the SCSI address and turned termination off. I understand that there may be problems with Apple's burning software - haven't tried it. I can't use CMD-E to eject from this drive as I do with the plain CD-ROM, but it generally acts normal.

It's a cheap solution for me that saves countless hours debugging the Que or attempting to get help from them. It might be good for you if you have an older Mac but your time has value.
http://www.1pdc.com/ http://www.frys.com/localframe.html
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

Forum Links
Forum Rules