Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 8.0

Mac OS 8.0
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2001, 11:37 PM

Well i thought I was goona make a floppy disk that would boot a 68K and run DNET on it. I got the disk running perfect on 7.1 connected to the net and everything, but dnet needs MacOS 8.0 or later it says. So all my works goes to waste I guess. Back to using a hard drive, using that much more electricity, and making that much more noise. This machine only has 8 MB of Ram, what is the minimum for a very basic version of 8.0? Also, if you know how I can get dnet to run on 7.1, that would be even better!

MacMonster
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2001, 05:29 AM

Mac OS 8.0 needs about 6MB RAM for the minimum (extensions off). And the installer will not allow you to install on a machine which has less than 12MB RAM.

Cocytus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 12:56 AM

well you're on the internet some how right? go to ebay, and buy something newer, you don't have to lay down a fortune, some times you just have to abandon the older stuff, sniff sniff, I know you never want to get rid of the old work horse though
\\nn// \\nn//
\_) MetaL (_/

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2001, 01:20 AM

You are completely missing the point. I'm not looking for a Mac to do dnet, I have a dual G4 pumping out crazy units. I'm just trying to make use of an old 68K. And I'm hot on the trail too, all I really need i guess is a version of dnet that will run under 7.1 and that is able to update its blocks over the internet.

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2001, 01:59 AM

Mac OS 8 comes with a pair of floppy disk images. Disk Tools 1 should be bootable on 68040 systems. You can try refashioning that to your requirements.

(95)

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2001, 09:21 AM

NO I bought a new-in-box OS 8 CD and there were no floppies.

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2001, 03:04 PM

YOU didn't read MY post carefully enough! I said FLOPPY DISK IMAGES, not FLOPPY DISKS! These are in the Disk Tools images folder.

(96)

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2001, 07:41 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules