Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Could be HOT DEAL on Apple computers Ti 667 for ~$1800

Could be HOT DEAL on Apple computers Ti 667 for ~$1800 (Page 2)
soonbaek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2001, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by MoKoNa^:
<STRONG>

Please come back though, I want to hear how it went!</STRONG>
I will keep you guys posted... However, due to increased in price and 20% coupon has now expired, I no longer can afford the TiBook 667 from J.C. Morris. (although the 15% coupo still exists, it doens't help me)

Oh well... Just my luck.

soonbaek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2001, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by MoKoNa^:
<STRONG>

Please come back though, I want to hear how it went!</STRONG>
Hey guys,

I asked them if they were willing to give me at original (before ~$100 price increase) price along with 20% discount for the Apple PB G4, and they told me due to the various forums (I ripped this one to macnn forums) with all those naysayers who are saying, "If it's too good to be true...", they have raised the price. There logic was, "Let's bump up the price so that we get more buyers!" I tried to convience them that if they actually deliver their goods, they would have the anandtech affects. Not only they denied my request, they keep insisting one of the forum member (Atomic) had actually received the product!!!

Well, as stated before, I can't no longer afford to get it. Plus, it does not make sense to get it through JC Morris now. My logic is, if I'm going to spend &gt;$2000 for it, I can get the lower spec (550 Mhz instead of 667 Mhz) for that amount through reliable retailer who will ship it within days.

That's my two cents with JC Morris. Well, good luck to all who ordered!!

<Praveen Cherukuri>
Dec 11, 2001, 04:24 PM

Hi,

I posted the following message at fatwallet and am posting here for others...

I'm one of the people who ordered a Sony FXA 36 from J.C.Morris & Company without trying to find out if this company is a legit.

I sent them a check for $1017.50. They said, I'll have to wait 1 month 10 days in order to ship the order. Finally, the date Dec 6th arrived. I called them to find out the status and they did not ship it because they didnot have it in stock. They said they will ship it the immediate Monday/Tuesday. So, I called them on Monday to find out the status.

Jim Morris himself answers the call and kinda yells at me saying that he has about 400 orders to process and has only 2 people to do the shipment. He said if I wanted to, I can cancel the order. That kind of surprised me, because I didnot say that I wanted to cancel the order. Anyway, I said I'll check back again during the week. Then he kinda cools down and says call back tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon and find out the status.

So I call them today (Tuesday) afternoon, the person who answered the phone couldn't find my order for some reason. He puts me on hold a couple of times and asks my last name a few times. Then he finally says, "yeah we're kinda of late on your order". "We'll ship it today or tomorrow and you should have it by Friday".

I asked him if it would help them if I came over and pick it up myself. I'm in Michigan and I was willing to drive 'til Atlanta. He says we ship from North Carolina, so we'll have to get it shipped to Atlanta. I said don't bother and asked him to ship it MI.

Need to find out what's gonna happen on Friday. I'll keep you all posted.

-Praveen.

sac84371
Dec 12, 2001, 12:29 AM

This is a classic story!!!

I called this company as soon as I saw this thread appear about a month ago. I actually got J. Morris on the line. I asked him a few questions about his basic business practices because I really like the idea of buying the powerbook g4 for $1800. Well when I got into my third question Jim got so pissed. He said that they have traced my phone number as well as my internet IP address and he knows for a fact that I have been the person posting negative feedback on newsgroups all over the net. I asked him why he was so angry and why he was jumping to this outlandish conclusion. He stated, "no normal consumer would ask the question you did." Silly as this may sound I replied, " well Jim I just happened to be a informed customer and I making a huge buying decision and I want to make sure the company I do business with is legit." Jim proceed to yell at me for the next minute or so and I said fine Jim this just proves the doubt I had about your firm. Then I hung up. No less than 30 seconds later, Jim called me back on a private line which has no published number to yell at me more and tell me I would be getting a call from a lawyer by that afternoon. Then he hung up on me. I have no idea how he got my number and if he used a device to track a blocked number that is a crime in California.

Long story short. I have never posted a thing about this guy until now. I really guess I just ask good questions of someone who might have something to hide. This guy is baadddddd news. If this is the way he treats a potential customer then imagine what would happen if you gave him your hard earned dollar and had a real problem. Don't order from this guy and he will go the way of all other bad businesses down the tiolet. Vote with your $$$

This was no doubt the strangest convertsation I have ever had. I have never heard back from Mr. Morris since the above story took place and I have a big feeling I never will.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: sac84371 ]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2001, 01:03 AM

I've said it before, but anyone willing to order from this company deserves to lose his/her money. One successful order does not a trustworthy company make (especially when that successful order has heavy duty coverage in the AnandTech Forums).

Matsu
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2001, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by sac84371:
<STRONG>This is a classic story!!!

I called this company as soon as I saw this thread appear about a month ago. I actually got J. Morris on the line. I asked him a few questions about his basic business practices because I really like the idea of buying the powerbook g4 for $1800. Well when I got into my third question Jim got so pissed. He said that they have traced my phone number as well as my internet IP address and he knows for a fact that I have been the person posting negative feedback on newsgroups all over the net. I asked him why he was so angry and why he was jumping to this outlandish conclusion. He stated, "no normal consumer would ask the question you did." Silly as this may sound I replied, " well Jim I just happened to be a informed customer and I making a huge buying decision and I want to make sure the company I do business with is legit." Jim proceed to yell at me for the next minute or so and I said fine Jim this just proves the doubt I had about your firm. Then I hung up. No less than 30 seconds later, Jim called me back on a private line which has no published number to yell at me more and tell me I would be getting a call from a lawyer by that afternoon. Then he hung up on me. I have no idea how he got my number and if he used a device to track a blocked number that is a crime in California.

Long story short. I have never posted a thing about this guy until now. I really guess I just ask good questions of someone who might have something to hide. This guy is baadddddd news. If this is the way he treats a potential customer then imagine what would happen if you gave him your hard earned dollar and had a real problem. Don't order from this guy and he will go the way of all other bad businesses down the tiolet. Vote with your $$$

This was no doubt the strangest convertsation I have ever had. I have never heard back from Mr. Morris since the above story took place and I have a big feeling I never will.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: sac84371 ]</STRONG>
Care to supply his number? We can all make some calls. I FVCKING HATE SCAMMERS. Sure, people can be a little over-exuberant/just plain stupid, but I hate them nonetheless.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2001, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by MacManDanT:
<STRONG>And now I look like a complete ass because I don't know how to use the quote tags </STRONG>
You do know that you can edit your earlier message to hide that fact, don't you?
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

<J Morris number>
Dec 12, 2001, 11:47 AM

The number you requested is on the link in the very first post of this thread. I think it is under the contact link. Sorry I don't know the link off hand and for some reason I can't bring up the first page of this thread. I am getting a connection failure. But go to page one of the thread read the first post and click the link that takes you to his Yahoo Store Front page. There is a 800 number which puts you right in touch with Jimbo himself. If you don't get him ask for him. Please post your experiences as well. I am surprised Apple hasn't come down on this guy!!!!!

<Here ya go>
Dec 12, 2001, 11:49 AM

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/jcmorris/

This is the link. Good luck!

glennmac
Dec 12, 2001, 07:20 PM

I believe the FBI has a computer fraud unit to whom things can be reported. Of course, they may be busy with other evils these days.

<I was skeptical too......>
Dec 13, 2001, 09:05 PM

A placed an order a month ago for a couple Sony laptops from J.C. Morris. I believed the feedback from Yahoo, and saw that over 300 people paid them via PayPal. So I was convinced they were legit. I tried to call a few times to check on my order, but was not satisfied with their (lack of) response. I still was confident that I'd receive my laptops. Then I stumbled upon this forum which showed many skeptical people's feelings about J.C. Morris. I guessed peer pressure/groupthink kicked in, I was fearful that I was out the $3400 I prepaid to J.C. Morris. I quickly contacted PayPal (this was last night)to alert them to my fears. Well, today I received one of the laptops, and an angry message from Jim Morris. He thought I tried to defraud him, when actually I tried to protect myself. Though he did cancel the balance of my order, he immediately refunded my PayPal account the funds for the balance of the order. I WOULD FEEL CONFIDENT BUYING FROM J.C. MORRIS -- IF YOU DON'T MIND WAITING 4 - 6 WEEKS FOR SHIPMENT, THEY CLEARLY HAVE THE BEST PRICES.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2001, 11:08 PM

It is amazing to me that the only people saying anything good about this company are not registered.... any one including the bogus Mr. Norris could be sending these notes!

P.T&gt; Barnum was right!

"

soonbaek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2001, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
<STRONG>It is amazing to me that the only people saying anything good about this company are not registered.... any one including the bogus Mr. Norris could be sending these notes!

" </STRONG>
Samething happened at the anandtech forum as well. It seems J.C. Morris are sending few out in order to get more naive people. This is my first negative post about them. I was once going to get the TiBook from them but due to my luck, they had raised the price and there 20% off coupon was expired just before I had gathered my hard earned cash.

Now, I have TiBook 550 with Airport (from Apple, assembled and delivered within 4 days!) and I couldn't be happier knowing I did the right thing. Sure the price is attractive but seeing more and more people's complaint towards them, it's not worth it.

I'm sorry if anyone out there saw this post, ordered and has not seen the product yet. My intensions were to find out about them and hoped we all will benefit from their price.

Thanks to all who has helped me out of my grief! And good luck to all who have ordered from them.

<I was skeptical too>
Dec 14, 2001, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
<STRONG>It is amazing to me that the only people saying anything good about this company are not registered.... any one including the bogus Mr. Norris could be sending these notes!

" </STRONG>
You're right, I'm not registered here, isn't this a Mac forum? I didn't bother to register, but if anyone has questions, feel free to email me directly. Trust me, I'm not a fan of their level of service, but the prices are fantastic. (I falsely accused them of scamming me based on what I read here, only to get a notebook the morning after I complained about them to PayPal...they couldn't have had time to ship after I complained, it was 10:30 at night). Feel free to contact me at [email protected] . Thank you.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by &lt;I was skeptical too&gt;:
<STRONG>Trust me, I'm not a fan of their level of service, but the prices are fantastic. (I falsely accused them of scamming me based on what I read here, only to get a notebook the morning after I complained about them to PayPal...they couldn't have had time to ship after I complained, it was 10:30 at night). Feel free to contact me at [email protected] . Thank you.</STRONG>
You know, if Wal-Mart operated this way they would be out of business. People put up with crap like this guys' terrible service and abusive behavior, as well as documented fraud - simply because they think they can get something for cheap.

No thanks. Even if this guy does ship the occasional product, his obvious disdain towards his customers is reason enough not to get my money. If he is so mad about his bad PR, why doesn't he just register here as himself and try to iron things out? After all, if Moki will appear here as himself why can't Mr. Morris? If he has nothing to hide, that is.

MadMacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2001, 02:02 PM

<small>[ 07-11-2002, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: MadMacs ]</small>

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2001, 03:34 PM

No one has recieved their PowerBooks or their money back, unfortunately.

<Praveen>
Dec 30, 2001, 11:10 AM

After posting messages extensively in several forums, I received my machined a couple of days later in UPS. One thing I noticed was, before the machine was shipped, I called JCMC and asked them if they would like me to pick up the machine personally. They said their warehouse is in North Carolina and the product will have to be shipped to Atlanta for my pickup. I didn't quite believe it and asked them to leave the way it is. When they finally shipped it, I tracked the package and found that it was shipped from NC!!

Anyway here are few tips that I would like everyone to follow if you can't resist the temptation. My lessons learned....

1. Buy it through credit card if they accept it. Otherwise pay via cc to paypal and use paypal. Don't be greedy at this point and send checks/wire the money. This is what I did, I sent a check. I will never ever do that again in future. By paying it via cc or paypal, you can get your money back somehow.

2. Buy it through Yahoo shopping. They've got Buyer Protection program in place in case things go bad. BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO FILE A CLAIM WITHIN 60 DAYS OF PLACING THE ORDER.

CAUTION:
- The default coverage is only for $750. I think you can buy more protection.
- If they don't ship within 60 days, file the claim anyway.

Using the above two tricks I think you can be safe and get your money back even in the worst case scenario.

Hope this helps.

Lastly, I'm very glad I received my shipment. I'm not sure if I want to order something again from them. I will be REALLY careful even if I did.

-Praveen.

<Praveen>
Dec 30, 2001, 11:39 AM

couple more things that I forgot to mention:

- they shipped it via ups next day!
- you can use this site for American Express Blue Card PriceMatching program for up to $250. For people who don't know about it...if you buy a product with Amex blue and you find the same at a lower price somewhere else( even at an online store ), you claim the difference to be paid to you from AMEX( max limit $250 ). For more info goto americanexpress.com...

-Praveen.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2001, 08:57 PM

Praveem,

I seriously distrust your post and your motivations for putting it here. It has just enough reassurance to make the process sound legit without sounding like you work for JPM. But it does sound contrived, and the securities you mention won't stop the company from collecting, or guarantee 100% protection. You're making it sound like it's worth the risk, when by every other account, it clearly isn't. 1 delivered order doen't make a good safe bet. I find this post deeply suspect and I think the mods ought to investigate the IP of origin.

No one here has any good reason to believe your anonymous claims. I really think you might be part of this whole JPM circus. The company has an awful reputation that is documented with many users here, on yahoo, and ebay. DON'T BE FOOLED! DON'T GET ROBBED!

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2001, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Praveen&gt;:
<STRONG>couple more things that I forgot to mention:

- they shipped it via ups next day!
- you can use this site for American Express Blue Card PriceMatching program for up to $250. For people who don't know about it...if you buy a product with Amex blue and you find the same at a lower price somewhere else( even at an online store ), you claim the difference to be paid to you from AMEX( max limit $250 ). For more info goto americanexpress.com...

-Praveen.</STRONG>
How long have you been posting here Mr. Morris?

~Peace~

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2002, 11:12 AM

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 2, 2002, 11:18 AM

Yeah, 15" lcd for $300
I have quit MacNN effective at 5:00:00 PM, January 25, 2001.

Goodbye. (nobody banned me)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2002, 11:48 AM

Please keep your incessant ramblings out of the PowerBook forum, JoeG4.

You can actually get a 15-inch flat panel monitor for $300. Obviously, it won't be an Apple display, but check www.pricewatch.com and you'll be surprised what you can buy from a legit organization.

<Praveen>
Jan 2, 2002, 05:40 PM

Well I'm not Morris and I'm not gonna try to justify that...because I don't have to...I don't care if u buy from him or not.

But if you did buy from them, pay particular attention to the first couple of lines of my first message on 12/30. I think you get the hint...

One more thing, why are people so particular about registering here? You cannot be sure that I'm not JCM even if I registered as a user here. For me it's just a waste of time. Also, somebody mentioned tracking my ip...what will you use that for. If I were Morris I'd post from some place anonymous.....anyway. I said I'm not gonna go into the justification part....

tobster
Senior User
Jan 2, 2002, 06:09 PM

<STRONG>But if you did buy from them, pay particular attention to the first couple of lines of my first message on 12/30. I think you get the hint...
</STRONG>
Why not tell people straight out? Cut the bull... people are nervous enough about this already. Some might actually loose a whole lot of money...

- tobs

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 08:18 PM

<STRONG>Well I'm not Morris and I'm not gonna try to justify that...because I don't have to...I don't care if u buy from him or not.

But if you did buy from them, pay particular attention to the first couple of lines of my first message on 12/30. I think you get the hint...

One more thing, why are people so particular about registering here? You cannot be sure that I'm not JCM even if I registered as a user here. For me it's just a waste of time. Also, somebody mentioned tracking my ip...what will you use that for. If I were Morris I'd post from some place anonymous.....anyway. I said I'm not gonna go into the justification part....</STRONG>
If you were really concerned about the MAC community and you truly are a MAC user then why not register?

You only seem to be concerned about pushing this one issue. So, it is not to hard to see why others as well as myself are suspicious of your motives.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

Matsu
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 08:35 PM

Praveen.

YOU ARE FULL OF SH!T.

GO TO HELL AND TAKE JC MORRIS WITH YOU!

People, this is a company with a track record of fraud and theft as verified by members with long records on these fora, and yahoo and ebay users. You have seen details about investigation in this thread. Ask the members here to point you to the info.

DON'T be stupid. Use a legitimate reseller.

Emmalee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2002, 09:00 PM

This is a copy of my Fat wallet Posting. It seems I am another happy customer of the company under fire. I didn't have to deal with thier customer service more than a isoloated times but I am sure I will be accused of being Mr. Morris or something as I have read above...One question how many people are actually customers of J.C. Morris?

"I “pre-ordered” a computer from them and even though I they had an un-intentional delay I got my computer for really cheap and I t was well worth the wait. I think waiting a few weeks and saving more than $200 dollars is well worth it unless you are greedy. Then you should just go to the store and pay full price. Once I got my brand new Sony the only thing I was worried about was the fact that it came in the factory packaging. I guess to offer more saving to customers they don’t spend a lot of money on re-packaging…No regrets here…

-Emily

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2002, 04:00 AM

Ah, I see everything clearly now.

J.C. Morris only sends powerbooks legitly, to members with "Unregistered" or "New Member" status.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

Emmalee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2002, 11:28 AM

Here we go again! I just have a life and I haven't used these "alleys" very much. A friend said use them before you buy electronics. Notice how little i have used the alley? hmmm, maybe i don't buy very many high dollar electronics... anyways

-Emily

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2002, 08:05 PM

I just received my Apple 17" LCD from JCMorris last week; however, after 2 months of waiting and a thousand e-mails, it's not worth the hassle. But I am glad I have something to show for my money after all this time. They even paid for free overnight shipping to me.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2002, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
<STRONG>I just received my Apple 17" LCD from JCMorris last week; however, after 2 months of waiting and a thousand e-mails, it's not worth the hassle. But I am glad I have something to show for my money after all this time. They even paid for free overnight shipping to me.</STRONG>

Post pictures of your setup and the box the monitor came in. If you don't have a digital camera, take 35-millimeter pictures and send them to me. I'll pay for shipping.

Transcripts of the e-mails you exchanged with this fraudulent company would also be appreciated.

gravy
Jan 22, 2002, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Emmalee:
<STRONG>Here we go again! I just have a life and I haven't used these "alleys" very much. A friend said use them before you buy electronics. Notice how little i have used the alley? hmmm, maybe i don't buy very many high dollar electronics... anyways

-Emily </STRONG>
"Alleys?" I didn't know I was hanging out in back alleys.
I thought this was a legit discussion forum. I gotta get
out of here before I'm mistaken for some sort of hoodlum.
Really I think that morriss place is more like the back alley
besides If you were getting a viao why go to mac forums anyway.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2002, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by Emmalee:
<STRONG>This is a copy of my Fat wallet Posting. It seems I am another happy customer of the company under fire. I didn't have to deal with thier customer service more than a isoloated times but I am sure I will be accused of being Mr. Morris or something as I have read above...One question how many people are actually customers of J.C. Morris?

"I ?pre-ordered? a computer from them and even though I they had an un-intentional delay I got my computer for really cheap and I t was well worth the wait. I think waiting a few weeks and saving more than $200 dollars is well worth it unless you are greedy. Then you should just go to the store and pay full price. Once I got my brand new Sony the only thing I was worried about was the fact that it came in the factory packaging. I guess to offer more saving to customers they don?t spend a lot of money on re-packaging?No regrets here?

-Emily
</STRONG>
<font color = red> NAUGHTY WORD. </font> O F F
You only made two post so far and you expected us to believe you?

<font color = red> Adam, don't use that kind of language on these forums. Thank you, --vmarks</font>

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: vmarks ]

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2002, 12:37 PM

Here is my picture of the box label "seanyepez"....any more questions? I can also provide my various e-mail transcripts...nothing big but correspondance...but no big deal. Hope this helps!

Jicko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2002, 06:06 PM

<font color = red>I have read thru the whole thread, can someone that had been scammed by this company please provide some links to your complains? And to which authority did you file your complains to? BBB? FTC? PayPal? Visa/MC?

BBB doesn't seem to have any outstanding complains against JCMorris, and I haven't really see anyone posted on this thread laying out solid proofs.

Most users are just saying that "the deals are too good to be true"... or complaining about each other's "registration"!

Some of us, who are NOT MAC users, are also looking for deals on PCs.... so we have concerns about the company.... but we would like to see some real proof that this company is really scamming. So far, only "delivery delays" are the only seen problems.

And some of you have requested "refund/rebate/money-back" from VISA or other CC, it is by default that they will go after PayPal, and PayPal would go after JCMorris. PayPal, in general, will suspend an account right the way, if CreditCard company ping'ed PayPal regarding a merchant for suspected fraud(or payment reversal problem) and PayPal pinging the merchant without a satisfactory response - either prove of goods delivery or money-back to PayPal.

So, as JCMorris's PayPal status being still verified and active.... with 600+ completed transcation(the transactions are only "completed" after 30days later).... I personally see that JCMorris (www.aboutjcmorris.com) seems to be quite legitimate.
</font>

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>

<font color = red> NAUGHTY WORD. </font> O F F
You only made two post so far and you expected us to believe you?

<font color = red> Adam, don't use that kind of language on these forums. Thank you, --vmarks</font>

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: vmarks ]</STRONG>

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 06:21 PM

For what its worth, that tracking number is real and would seem to indicate that maybe they do ship from NC like they said. It was delivered a week ago.

I would have posed the link, but if you care enough, do it yourself.

So goricky, what did you get?
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 06:54 PM

He said he got a 17" Apple LCD. Despite the few people that have gotten things, there are many complaints and bad accounts of customer service. I'd rather pay more and have peace of mind. Even gorickey, who got his item, said that it was a bit of a hassle to push things through.

Jicko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2002, 02:31 AM

OK, so what ARE the complains except "bad customer service" and "delayed deliveries"? There are a lot of known "bad customer service" shops, but some of us will still tolerate that cuz good deals. "Delayed deliveries", for "pre-order", it is kinda acceptable... since you are getting DEEP discount!

So, any REAL unresolved complains? Or, proved "money-lost"? Please post detailed info.

I'm not associated with them, I'm just another "wanted-to-be" their customers, and I really like their prices... and I really "HOPE" that they are legitimate so that if I wait the next 4 weeks, I'm going to get my Sony SRx77....

Originally posted by Cellery:
<STRONG>He said he got a 17" Apple LCD. Despite the few people that have gotten things, there are many complaints and bad accounts of customer service. I'd rather pay more and have peace of mind. Even gorickey, who got his item, said that it was a bit of a hassle to push things through.</STRONG>

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Jan 24, 2002, 08:43 AM

Does this guy go by the name "shadowsb" on ebay?
Check it out and look for really good prices.

Supposedly, someone has already received their new iMac for only $1500. I am suspicious.
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2002, 08:22 PM

Well, wouldn't you know it...they came through for me afterall. So, did I get lucky or do you think this company is still fraudalent? I am thrilled.

Here is the e-mail I just received from then...
==============================

***Do not reply to this email. UPS and JC MORRIS & COMPANY will not receive your reply.

At the request of JC MORRIS & COMPANY, this notice alerts you the following shipment has been sent.

Important Delivery Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adult Signature Required - Adult must be at least 21 years of age

Scheduled Delivery:25-January-2002

Shipment Detail

Ship To:
John Smith
MANHATTAN
KS
US

Number of Packages: 1
UPS Service: Next Day Air
Weight: 38.0 LBS
Tracking Number: 1Z967TT1A241998448
Reference No. 1: Apple PowerMac G4
Reference No. 2: Dual 800 Processor

Click here to track this shipment or visit http://www.ups.com/tracking/tracking.html on the internet.
UPS Return Services. Making returns easier, faster and more convenient for you and your customers. For more information, click here: http://www.ec.ups.com/ecommerce/solutions/c5.html

This E-mail contains proprietary information and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it immediately.

This E-mail was automatically generated by UPS E-mail services at the Shipper's request. Any reply to this E-mail will not be received by UPS or Shipper. Please contact Shipper directly if you have questions about the referenced shipment or you wish to discontinue this notification service.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2002, 09:13 PM

Whoa.

ksujeff99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2002, 09:36 PM

First of all, let me start out by saying that I know "gorickey" and he is indeed telling the truth. He has received the 17" LCD and the G4 tower is set to arrive 1/25. JCMorris does ship it's products.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: ksujeff99 ]

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2002, 02:03 PM

Ok people--

I wanted to wait until my entire order was filled before I posted this, but since (1) UPS apparently tried to deliver my 512 RAM upgrade this morning (I wasn't home) and (2) this thread just came back alive, I figured it's finally time to tell my JC MORRIS story. I should say first that this was my experience, and certainly other people's have been totally different.

I ordered a PBG4 667 w/a 512MB RAM upgrade from JC Morris in late October 2001 when my friend, who ordered a g4pb also, first showed me the site. It was a pre-order thing, and I used the "yahoo" discount to get 20% off. (This was also during the period of the "september 11" 15% discount) The total cost was an insane $1900.98 including delivery. I paid with paypal using a credit card, figuring if it was bogus I'd be protected and only have to pay $50. So yeah, it was kind of a gamble.

My shipment was delayed twice. First for an entire month, and then again for 3 weeks. The first time they notified me via email w/an apology and refunded $30 to my paypal account. The second time they didn't say anything. After I emailed them, they responded that their inventory was delayed.

During these two months of waiting, I stumbled onto this thread, as well as others on Usenet, and I started getting nervous. I had a ton of theories about how the fraud must work (maybe they give you back $30 at a time while investing the money in short term cds until you cancel, maybe they will just take off with the $, maybe they're waiting for the price to go down...etc.) Because, see, the more I thought about it, the price was just too good to be true. Everything-- the clip-art heavy web site, the 800 #, the customer database, the friendly emails from the "employees", the response from JC Morris on this and other threads-- had to be part of the scam, right? I checked the Better Business Bureau site (found one resolved complaint) and even had a friend in Atlanta call them for driving directions to see if they made any sense.

I emailed a couple of people who had canceled their order and one guy I found on Usenet emailed back that they had received their money back when they cancelled. Which was reassuring.

Finally towards the end of the year, as my 2nd "shipping date" approached, I couldn't take the waiting any longer and had convinced myself that the company would probably disappear in the new year, and sent a CANCEL notice to them. That VERY SAME DAY, my friend, who also ordered a G4--- ACTUALLY RECEIVED HIS COMPUTER!! I interrogated him about it over the phone-- did it have a serial number, was it in Apple packaging, etc. Everything passed the test. He sounded as amazed as I knew I was.

At that point, I realized-- holy cow, this may not be a scam after all-- and quickly reinstated the order (which incidentally, they had already emailed me about, saying that the cancellation would happen the next day... so I knew that they were actually "allowing" people to cancel and at least were saying they'd refund the money to Paypal). Luckily, they hadn't officially cancelled it yet.

Then, miracle of miracles-- I got my 667 G4 computer two days later (which was about 3 weeks ago), shipped by UPS. It was in a sealed Apple box. The computer itself was wrapped in plastic, sealed with the large apple B&W sticker on it, and it was in every way new-looking. Flawless really. It had 512MB total installed in the machine (256 more than it was supposed to have.) I was in heaven.

Then I realized they didn't include the 512 RAM chip upgrade that I ordered.

I phoned them via the 800 # about that, and they said their RAM update inventories hadn't arrived yet (or something to that effect). I was promised two more delivery dates that came and went, without comment from them until I emailed and was given a new date (both times were about a week delay-- "you'll get it next thursday" etc.).

They emailed me yesterday saying it had finally been sent. And as I said at the top of this story, the order appears to have attempted delivery from UPS this morning. I wasn't home, but I have the UPS InfoNotice in my hand.

Regardless of whether or not I get the RAM (I'll post here again if I do)... I will say this:

(1) JC Morris' prices are insane-- I would say "impossible"-- and I was taking a real (some would say stupid) risk to order without knowing much about the company.

(2) The delays seem to be universal-- not only for everyone I know who bought a computer but also every report I've read online.

(3) 3 of 4 people I know personally who ordered Macs from JC Morris did receive them, including me. Besides the other g4, a third friend ordered a white ibook (paid $800), and though it was also delayed twice, he recieved it. A fourth friend who bought an ibook around the same time in early Nov has NOT received it yet (but has a new delivery date. Not sure when.). All computers were in good shape. Aww, hell, great shape. My G4 has 512, airport... everything but the combo drive (ordered it before it was added to the g4 pb - I will upgrade to the combo drive on the 28th.)

(4) I do not have ANY IDEA how they are making any money off these computers.

(5) When you order something from JC Morris, you need to stay on them. I have had to constantly email JC Morris to find out the status of my order.

(6) They have an online database system, but they don't really update it that often.

(7) My friend who contacted them via the phone said they sounded like they were very disorganized. But this was a while ago, so they may have gotten their shit together by now.

(8) Despite the frustration of the two delays, everyone at JC Morris who I personally talked to or emailed was *extremely* polite and business-like. Even when I cancelled my order, they were on it. When I un-cancelled, they stopped it in time. When the order was delayed, they promised free-delivery and sent $30 back via paypal. The RAM update is being sent seperate and late, but with free shipping as I'd expect from any good company.

(9) I *LOVE* the g4 Powerbook!

THE SHORT STORY--

If you are a risk taker, and are willing to wait for an indeterminate number of delays, go for it- you may get an unbelievable deal. If peace of mind and promptness is more important to you, you might wanna go elsewhere.

My friend who bought and received a g4 just ordered an iPod from them, so there you have it. Repeat business. Then again, my other friend is still waiting for his $800 iBook.

Now from the tone of this thread, I know people are gonna say I'm JC Morris or a troll or something. All I can say is I got my G4 PB 667. And hopefully tomorrow (stay tuned) UPS will *finally* deliver that 512K RAM upgrade too, kicking me up to 768MB.

Not bad for $1870.98.

W

UPDATE-- I decided to wait a day to send this. My 512MB Ram upgrade (SimpleTech brand) just arrived 10 minutes ago. Haven't installed it yet, but I have it in my hand.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2002, 03:18 PM

There are so many people with post counts in the single digits, I don't believe a thing. I would rather pay a little more, and when it breaks on week five, I will know who to call. This whole thing sounds like total CRAP

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2002, 03:31 PM

More good news....I did indeed receive my DP 800 G4 this morning....all brand new, sealed..yada yada yada. It rocks!

Jicko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2002, 07:10 PM

Fine, you DON'T have to order from them. And you really shouldn't, since you are willing to pay more.

But for me, as a deal-hunter, I am willing to risk. If it fails, my platinum visa is going to refund the whole amount to me, don't even have to be responsible for any deductible.

If JCMorris made $ and get away with it, fine with me; since I get my money back.

You may ask, can JCMorris make money? If not, why are they doing it? I think they can still make some money (by selling the product as well as selling your confirmed email/snail-mail address).... Also, for example, Sony's internal employee's discount for Sony's products are like 50% off, so somehow, someone CAN get products that are significantly lower than MSRP, but can still be even lower than what JCMorris are selling them for.

So, I'm going to risk, and I'm going to wait for my Sony SRx77, and hope for the best, knowing that I won't have anything to loose.

If it comes true, then it is really, "too good to be true".

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<STRONG>There are so many people with post counts in the single digits, I don't believe a thing. I would rather pay a little more, and when it breaks on week five, I will know who to call. This whole thing sounds like total CRAP</STRONG>

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Jicko:
<STRONG>Fine, you DON'T have to order from them. And you really shouldn't, since you are willing to pay more.

But for me, as a deal-hunter, I am willing to risk. If it fails, my platinum visa is going to refund the whole amount to me, don't even have to be responsible for any deductible.

If JCMorris made $ and get away with it, fine with me; since I get my money back.

You may ask, can JCMorris make money? If not, why are they doing it? I think they can still make some money (by selling the product as well as selling your confirmed email/snail-mail address).... Also, for example, Sony's internal employee's discount for Sony's products are like 50% off, so somehow, someone CAN get products that are significantly lower than MSRP, but can still be even lower than what JCMorris are selling them for.

So, I'm going to risk, and I'm going to wait for my Sony SRx77, and hope for the best, knowing that I won't have anything to loose.

If it comes true, then it is really, "too good to be true".

</STRONG>

So, you like wasting your time a money?

By the time you receive your purchase (if you ever do), it is obsolete. What a JOKE!

This thread is a waste of time and full of BS.

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<STRONG>There are so many people with post counts in the single digits, I don't believe a thing. I would rather pay a little more, and when it breaks on week five, I will know who to call. This whole thing sounds like total CRAP</STRONG>
DITTO+

Sounds like, smells like and is CRAP.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: skyman ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules