Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > SimCity 4

SimCity 4 (Page 2)
Ham Sandwich
Jul 7, 2003, 07:03 PM

Well, I've got a TiG4 1Ghz (that has a Radeon 9000 card) and I can say that changing the line in Video Cards.sgr as calamar1 found out made all the difference in playability!

Calamar1 great job! I found it pretty unplayable, even with cranking all the graphics options down (which look like poo). With your change, underground view works like it should, scrolling is smooth and overall frame rates are better.

ALMOST $50.00 down the crapper.

-s'fit

derekn
Senior User
Jul 7, 2003, 09:46 PM

Woohoo! This thing ROCKS, I also picked up a 1.2 Ghz G4 today so far it's been pretty smooth. With a lot of activity going on it does bog down just a bit.

My only complaint has nothing to do with the performance but the gameplay. LOL I have to completely relearn how to play this. Zone layouts, the different zones, city services etc. First thing I noticed when I started off the Pause mode was the notice saying "city budget outlook grim". LOL

i5works, thank you for posting here and giving us all a "voice" on this game. SC 3000 was a disaster but 4 is the total opposite so far. Thank you for doing such a great job on both Ghost Recon and SC 4.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2003, 11:15 PM

Well, I would like to be one of the first to ask.............is there a Sim City 3000 patch coming for OS X?! I WOULD REALLY LIKE ONE!!! Thanks.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2003, 06:53 PM

it runs decently on my Dual 867/9000...but im getting some weird graphical things going on. when i zoom in/out or move, everything on the land goes away, and then is redrawn...is that what is supposed to happen? i tried to run it at 1280X1024, and it didnt fly

is it me? or is this game hard as anything?

i cant seem to relax with the money...
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2003, 07:11 PM

Hard?

I'm ordering in 1.5 hours! I like hard, even if my comp is too slow to run it well.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2003, 08:19 PM

I just don't get it...I put out industrial zones at about 4x the amount of residential zones, and I just can't seem to bring in enough money to expand. It seems that you can turn the game on speed as fast as it goes, and the city will stand still--everyone will be content indefinitely. All the plots set aside for industry just sit there. What's the trick, anyone figure it out yet?

Neo.cmg

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2003, 08:49 PM

wow aspyr over charges for shipping!

Oh well, ordered
My website

derekn
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 09:06 PM

It's hard, difficult, complicated, whatever you want to call it. LOL The city I started earlier has a monthly bill of $10,000 or something with income of only $880, so I've got a slight money problem. I went with my zoning format from SC 2000 and 3000 which isn't working out so well, so I have to work on things just a "bit".

It's been frustrating, agonizing, but I love it. I've been deprived of SimCity for awhile and I've got it back now.

javabeans
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2003, 09:27 PM

Haven't heard anybody complaining about the performance issue with PB 17" yet...I'm assuming things are running okay?

Can someone confirm this? I'd like to buy the game soon.

Thanks.
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

i5works
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by DBvader:
it runs decently on my Dual 867/9000...but im getting some weird graphical things going on. when i zoom in/out or move, everything on the land goes away, and then is redrawn...is that what is supposed to happen?
If you mean things like trees, clouds, and shadows disappear, then yes, depending upon which video card you have. The same thing happens in the PC version. It's one of the ways they speed up scrolling.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2003, 10:51 PM

The game runs fine so long as you turn the most hungry eye candy off as you build a larger city - mostly # sim's cars.

The biggest problem I've experienced is that it refuses to run in any reasonable screen mode - no widescreen, and the 4:3 modes are stretched which makes it look awful I hope this will be fixed soon though, I'd even be happy with big black bars

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2003, 02:06 AM

" If you mean things like trees, clouds, and shadows disappear, then yes, depending upon which video card you have. The same thing happens in the PC version. It's one of the ways they speed up scrolling."

no, i mean like everything but the actual land.

and scratch that, it doesnt run well at all...after the city gets medium sized there is a 2 second delay when i click anything...

...damn
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

benb
Jul 9, 2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by DBvader:
and scratch that, it doesnt run well at all...after the city gets medium sized there is a 2 second delay when i click anything...

...damn
That happens to everybody that has a large city, no matter what computer they have. We just deal with it, that's all.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jul 9, 2003, 11:31 PM

Just got SC4 today - LOVE IT! Unfortunately while building my first city it unexpectedly quit on me. I had not saved yet.

Hey i5Works, is there info I can pass along about my crash that might help?

I have a quicksilver DP800 with a GF3.

What a beautiful game though!

Thanks!

i5works
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by iamnotmad:
Hey i5Works, is there info I can pass along about my crash that might help?
Make sure you have the "enable crash reporting" preference on in the Console application. If the game crashes it'll create a .log file which you can send to Aspyr technical support.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2003, 12:45 PM

Well it's great to hear that the game runs pretty well on dual G4's. But let's get to the consumer segment of the market here. I have an 800 G4 iMac with 512ram and the 32ddr GeForce2 MX, so what's the verdict on how it runs on a system such as this? Is it worth the $50? I loved 2000 & 3000. Been waiting for this one.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

nspeds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2003, 06:49 PM

I have a base 17 inch AlBook and the game runs fantastic with all the options on high. Although it does get a little jaggedy at 30K people, its still working fine.

If you want to put your own music, just put your MP3's in the Mayor folder in your music folde thats in the Simcity Folder (if that made any sense)

Aspyr, I have found a bug where at Night Time, the lights inside the buildings are supposed to come on, but instead, the entire building just glows=/.

My first city is going fine, making a profit of 200$ and am working to get my University etc. This really isn't my first time since I have it on windows, SO I'm finding the game to be really easy. Well, this sorta is my first time since on the Windows one I would always cheat, this is my first time not cheating (since there is no trainer out)

Aspyr, is it possible to replace the DAT file from my game in windows with the DAT file on the mac? Because I have a modded Simcity1.dat that I want to put in. Also, is it possible to use plugins that were designed for the windows platform on the mac version?

nd

kalonji
Jul 10, 2003, 09:26 PM

its pretty fun but it's not running that smooth at all on my 1ghz tibook. i think tropico is more fun

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by kalonji:
its pretty fun but it's not running that smooth at all on my 1ghz tibook. i think tropico is more fun
I think Tropico get old easily

i5works
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by nspeds:
Aspyr, I have found a bug where at Night Time, the lights inside the buildings are supposed to come on, but instead, the entire building just glows=/.

Aspyr, is it possible to replace the DAT file from my game in windows with the DAT file on the mac? Because I have a modded Simcity1.dat that I want to put in. Also, is it possible to use plugins that were designed for the windows platform on the mac version?
If you have an issue that you'd like Aspyr to address, you should probably contact them directly. They deal with a lot of products and it's easier for them to track issues if you go through their technical support.

That said, with the exception of the videos, all the game data is cross platform. Of course if you start modding your game data, you're on your own.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2003, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
wow aspyr over charges for shipping!

Oh well, ordered

Too bad you can't close them like a thread, huh?
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2003, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Too bad you can't close them like a thread, huh?
?

I should have my game sometime next week. I'm excited. I hope it's playable.
My website

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2003, 05:59 AM

By any chance does someone in NYC know what stores if any have it in stock. I searched for it frantically when it was supposed to be released, and after being disappointed after days of being told "try again tomorrow," I gave up.

It seems like a lot of people have their hands on it now. I was in CompUSA a few days ago (the 38th St. one) and they didn't have it, BTW.

nspeds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2003, 10:13 AM

I just ordered it with my AlBook from the apple store online. The night they shipped it, the day after it came=).

nspeds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2003, 02:57 PM

For those of you looking for Mods and Addons, go to www.simtropolis.com

If the mod is in plugin form, it will work.

HOWEVER, if the mod is in any other form it will NOT. Simply because, yes, it can be implemented in the DAT file, but there is no program on the mac platform that can implement the mod within the dat file.

Here is what I do...

copy simcity1.dat to a CD
take it to a windows machine
apply the mod
burn the dat file to another cD
replace it with the one on ur simcity folder in ur mac

The Dat files are in and of themselves crossplatform, so it should work.

and ur done.

nd

derekn
Senior User
Jul 11, 2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by KP*:
By any chance does someone in NYC know what stores if any have it in stock. I searched for it frantically when it was supposed to be released, and after being disappointed after days of being told "try again tomorrow," I gave up.

It seems like a lot of people have their hands on it now. I was in CompUSA a few days ago (the 38th St. one) and they didn't have it, BTW.
You should check compusa.com, they have a box for your zip code and you can check the in-store availability. You can have them hold it if you have a credit card too, or you can just call and ask that way too I believe.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2003, 07:11 AM

Apple Stores got them in on thursday, and they have a decent supply... for now!
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by derekn:
You should check compusa.com, they have a box for your zip code and you can check the in-store availability. You can have them hold it if you have a credit card too, or you can just call and ask that way too I believe.
A word of caution about CompUSA's online and phone stock checking. I don't think I have ever once gotten a correct answer, either by checking the website, or calling and asking a real person, "Do you have this?" Every time, I get there and they're out of stock. Anyway, I managed to find SimCity finally at GameStop (8th St./Bway). I've only had a little time to play it, but once I figured out how to get it to run in 1920x1200, I think it's really cool so far.

derekn
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 06:46 PM

Ditto, I checked when I got my speakers from there and they had it listed as "in stock" but when I went there, they suppsoedly had two but couldn't find them.

Software availablity has been pretty accurate though. They usually only update it in the morning though, so late afternoon or so on is a shot in the dark as to if they have any.

javabeans
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2003, 01:16 PM

A word of caution about CompUSA's online and phone stock checking. I don't think I have ever once gotten a correct answer, either by checking the website, or calling and asking a real person, "Do you have this?" Every time, I get there and they're out of stock. Anyway, I managed to find SimCity finally at GameStop (8th St./Bway). I've only had a little time to play it, but once I figured out how to get it to run in 1920x1200, I think it's really cool so far.
I checked compUSA on 38th & 5Ave and they don't have it! Gamestop on 34th & Bway didn't have it either....

So I ended up ordering it from Amazon.com. Free shipping, no tax...comes out to be $45 . Its a bit more expensive had I picked it up from those stores.
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

PBAddict
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2003, 02:49 PM

Is anyone running SimCity 4 on a PB 12", would be grateful some feedback on performance.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by PBAddict:
Is anyone running SimCity 4 on a PB 12", would be grateful some feedback on performance.
so far it runs like butter
my city isn't huge yet, but also not small.

PBAddict
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
so far it runs like butter
my city isn't huge yet, but also not small.
Would it be correct to say that the performance problems reported for Sim City are more to do with the Radeon Graphic cards than the Nvidia cards?

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2003, 05:23 AM

I've had the same experience. Heck, I've even had the website tell me one thing and a 800# phone rep give me another answer.

We trashed CrapUSA in another thread, but I couldn't help myself from jumping in again.

MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 15, 2003, 09:59 PM

I got it, and all I can say is, wow.
They sure don't give you much. I have a nice big box waiting for me, and when I open it, I see my shipping cost went to peanuts. That's the last time I order direct from aspyr.

Installing now.
My website

RunRamsXC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2003, 04:02 PM

I don't know if anyone is having this trouble with SimCity 4, but here goes.

I have a DP 867 MDD with an Nvidia GeForce 4. I have a gig o ram and os 10.2.6. When i run the game it runs like butter... expcept when scrolling. When I scroll, everything disappears. Trees, cars and buildings are gone and the whole screen gets this odd green tint to it. Now, I have tested the game at work on a 1 GHx MDD with the same video card and only 256 megs of ram. IT runs perfectly. No scrolling errors or anything. EVEN at full screen on a 22"!! I have emailed Aspyr and they havent written back yet. javascript:smilie('')

Can anyone give me some insight on this? I have tried literally EVERY combonation of settings and nothing changes. This really limits my game play.

Thanks!

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 18, 2003, 11:51 PM

Why oh why do companies release such buggy software now?
Sim city is fun, right until it blows out. PLEASE DO 2 THINGS.
1) Work on testing more
2) Auto save (If there is this option and I missed it, sorry)
My website

nspeds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2003, 12:11 PM

As I recall, I don't think there is an autosave option on the Windows version either. Moreover, I think your complaints are well heard in the windows community as they are also experiencing instability issues just like you. Don't blame Aspyr, blame EA.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
2) Auto save (If there is this option and I missed it, sorry)
Auto-save would suck. I never know if I'm making a mistake till it's too late, and if my goof was was auto-saved, I would end up starting over even more than I already do.

edit: Upon further reflection, auto-save with regular save would be ok. I have a problem with remembering to save at critical junctions when the game is auto-saving for me... I don't think the lack of auto-save detracts from the game.

Ctrl-S will save, but saving is a slow process.. Perhaps that's why there is no auto-save.
( Last edited by AKcrab; Jul 19, 2003 at 05:16 PM. )

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Auto-save would suck. I never know if I'm making a mistake till it's too late, and if my goof was was auto-saved, I would end up starting over even more than I already do.

edit: Upon further reflection, auto-save with regular save would be ok. I have a problem with remembering to save at critical junctions when the game is auto-saving for me... I don't think the lack of auto-save detracts from the game.

Ctrl-S will save, but saving is a slow process.. Perhaps that's why there is no auto-save.
Your problem is very easy to get around. Have it auto save into it's own spot, not over your saved game. AND, have an option to turn it on or off, and set the interval.

As for the stability, if I was the person signing off on the game, I would not have released this game. I can't get more then about 3 hours of playing in before it blows.
My website

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Frumpy:
Well it's great to hear that the game runs pretty well on dual G4's. But let's get to the consumer segment of the market here. I have an 800 G4 iMac with 512ram and the 32ddr GeForce2 MX, so what's the verdict on how it runs on a system such as this? Is it worth the $50? I loved 2000 & 3000. Been waiting for this one.
I'm running on the identical configuration. It runs perfectly for me with one exception. Occasionally, a large block of buildings won't render. i can usually zoom in and out to correct the problem. happens with larger cities. I've had no crashes at all. Performance is decent. In fastest simtime and a large city, it can be sluggish to pan around, but in slower simtime and smaller cities, it's not sluggish. I think it's fairly well optimized for our configuration so I heartily recommend buying it.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2003, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the recommedation!

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2003, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by mgl:
I'm running on the identical configuration. It runs perfectly for me with one exception. Occasionally, a large block of buildings won't render. i can usually zoom in and out to correct the problem. happens with larger cities. I've had no crashes at all. Performance is decent. In fastest simtime and a large city, it can be sluggish to pan around, but in slower simtime and smaller cities, it's not sluggish. I think it's fairly well optimized for our configuration so I heartily recommend buying it.
that's good to hear
I'm thinking about getting the game for my iMac 700 - I can't imagine there would be a large difference in performance there (esp. since I'm jazzed up with 512mb or RAM)

derekn
Senior User
Jul 21, 2003, 11:07 PM

For those who need an extra "voice" whether to get SC 4 or not, Macgamer has posted their review:
http://www.macgamersledge.com/news/item.php?id=7315

Done on a DP 533 with a Radeon 8500, the price is incorrectly listed as $30 right now BTW. It's about $46 to $50 or so.

javabeans
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2003, 10:59 PM

Does anybody know if I can play SimCity4 in windowed mode as apposed to full-screen? I want to be able to chat with Friends while balancing the budget...

thanks...
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by javabeans:
Does anybody know if I can play SimCity4 in windowed mode as apposed to full-screen? I want to be able to chat with Friends while balancing the budget...

thanks...
You can set it up to do so by holding down Option when you start it. A typical dialog box comes up, and that's one of the checkboxes in it (if it isn't option, try Cmd, Shift, and Ctrl in assorted combinations, too, but i think it's Option).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2003, 04:28 PM

So unless there is a specific reason you guys can give me not to, I'm gonna get the PC version, mainly because of cost. The only concern I have is the memory. I don't have a huge amount on either my PC or my Mac.

PC: $20 (US$14.50). My desktop is a 100 MHz bus 1.4 GHz Celeron with 512 MB SDR and Radeon 9100. Max is 768 MB, but I've been having problems finding compatible 256 MB RAM sticks for it. (It's a BX board.) 512 MB RAM sticks are incompatible. Screen is 1280x1024.

Mac: $50 (US$36). My Mac is a 133 MHz bus 1 GHz TiBook with 768 MB SDR and Radeon 9000. Screen is 1280x854.

nspeds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2003, 07:56 PM

Dude, the 1.4ghz pc won't take the simcity at all. Stick with the tibook, my albook 1ghz with 512mbram handles it like a dream.

BTW, where do u get sc4 for just 20$? I'd sure like to know where, so i can get it too.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 27, 2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by nspeds:
Dude, the 1.4ghz pc won't take the simcity at all. Stick with the tibook, my albook 1ghz with 512mbram handles it like a dream.

BTW, where do u get sc4 for just 20$? I'd sure like to know where, so i can get it too.
Canadian $20, which is < US$15. www.Futureshop.ca Last Futureshop I tried was sold out. Deal dead on the 30th.

Why do you say the PC wouldn't like Sim City 4?

superfula
Senior User
Jul 28, 2003, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
So unless there is a specific reason you guys can give me not to, I'm gonna get the PC version, mainly because of cost. The only concern I have is the memory. I don't have a huge amount on either my PC or my Mac.

PC: $20 (US$14.50). My desktop is a 100 MHz bus 1.4 GHz Celeron with 512 MB SDR and Radeon 9100. Max is 768 MB, but I've been having problems finding compatible 256 MB RAM sticks for it. (It's a BX board.) 512 MB RAM sticks are incompatible. Screen is 1280x1024.

Mac: $50 (US$36). My Mac is a 133 MHz bus 1 GHz TiBook with 768 MB SDR and Radeon 9000. Screen is 1280x854.
Eug, there isn't a Mac out that can run SC4 well. And you'd be hardpressed to find a pc...although I don't know how well the newest ATI/nVidia cards will do. You'd be better off getting the pc version. At least it's somewhat playable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules