Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Server Advice?

Server Advice?
Zimwy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2003, 04:22 PM

Hi,
I'll be running a server (OS 10.2.6) and it's my first time. It's a Web/File/FTP/Music server for myself and friends at school. I was wondering if anybody here had any advice for good server maintance ideas or anything like that?

I've split the drive into an OS X partition and a files partition. I've enabled journaling on both partitions. Does anyone have any advice for not too hard to understand security apps? Any, things in the system I should enable? Scripts I should know to run? Logs to check?

Thanks for any advice!
gabe

Burana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2003, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by Zimwy:
Hi,
I'll be running a server (OS 10.2.6) and it's my first time. It's a Web/File/FTP/Music server for myself and friends at school. I was wondering if anybody here had any advice for good server maintance ideas or anything like that?

I've split the drive into an OS X partition and a files partition. I've enabled journaling on both partitions. Does anyone have any advice for not too hard to understand security apps? Any, things in the system I should enable? Scripts I should know to run? Logs to check?
These are my views as a Solaris Admin (I am still waiting for my first Mac, the G5). Some hints may be overkill:

-On a server, I recommend a separate partition for /var (symolic link to /private/var)and a separate partition for /Users. It prevents a crash of the whole server in case that the log files under /var or the homedirectories get full.

-Separate partition for swap. As a rule, the size of the partition is 1-1.5 x the installed memory. This should prevent fragmentation.

-For security reasons you should replace ftp with sftp. It is sufficent to have SSH running, because sftp is tunneled over ssh.

-Always have firewall enable for ports not used.

-Keep up installing (security-)patches.

-Keep an eye on syslogs (under /var directory).

-Use strong password policy (possible in OS X).

You can't be too carefull when allowing access over the internet...

Good luck!

Regards
Burana

Zimwy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2003, 10:38 AM

Thanks for all that info. I have a few questions:

-By Strong Passwords, do you mean just ones that have both letters and numbers, and aren't dictionary words, or is this an option I can check somewhere?

-I've looked under /var/log/system.log and there's lots of stuff there. What sort of things would I be looking for? Intrusion attempts? Things like that? How would I find them?

Thanks again,
gabe

Burana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Zimwy:
By Strong Passwords, do you mean just ones that have both letters and numbers, and aren't dictionary words, or is this an option I can check somewhere?
That's right. But because I don't have a mac yet I can't tell you how to set password policies and enable password aging. Maybe somebody else can help?

-I've looked under /var/log/system.log and there's lots of stuff there. What sort of things would I be looking for? Intrusion attempts? Things like that? How would I find them?
Mainly you should look for error messages and warnings. A good administrator always keeps an eye on system logs. Sometimes you can prevent some problems, before they occure.

Beside that, failed logins will be logged as well.

Regards

Burana

Forum Links
Forum Rules