Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Quark 6 Font Issues

Quark 6 Font Issues
straightedge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 01:25 PM

I work a printing company and we are slowly switching to Quark 6 to accommodate our clients, the problem we're having is that a lot of the clients are submitting files that when we open them with their fonts the type appears as random glyph characters. If I delete their fonts and use ours (when we have them) the file appears fine.

I'm trying to figure out how and why this is happening.

any ideas or suggestions?

thank you

Eric_Henao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by straightedge:
I work a printing company and we are slowly switching to Quark 6 to accommodate our clients, the problem we're having is that a lot of the clients are submitting files that when we open them with their fonts the type appears as random glyph characters. If I delete their fonts and use ours (when we have them) the file appears fine.

thank you
Call Quark?

Eric
Eric Henao - Graphic Designer
Dual 2.5 GHz G5 - 2.5 GB RAM - OS 10.3.7
and TECHNO music!!!

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2003, 09:36 AM

straightedge:

please keep us up to speed as you trouble shoot this. some of us are waiting in the wings to buy quark v.6 and watching how it integrates and whether the community adopts it or indesign.

Eric_Henao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by art_director:
straightedge:

please keep us up to speed as you trouble shoot this. some of us are waiting in the wings to buy quark v.6 and watching how it integrates and whether the community adopts it or indesign.
Not to start another indesign vs quark war...thought I'd share what I've heard RECENTLY here in Houston...

The three placement agencies here for designers, Aquent, Creative Group and Art Squad, have all told me that they do not have any or "one or two" clients asking for folks who know InDesign. Also was at a mid sized printer, Chas P. Young, for a three day assignment, and they told me it was very difficult for them to accept native InDesign files. They said that they rather upgrade to Quark 6 than make a move to fully support InDesign.

Again, this is NOT to start a post war, but just some info that I have recently heard here in Houston, Tx.

Eric Henao
Eric Henao - Graphic Designer
Dual 2.5 GHz G5 - 2.5 GB RAM - OS 10.3.7
and TECHNO music!!!

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2003, 04:03 PM

Are you using suitcase X by any chance? I quite often open a 'read me' in text edit and its all garbled (lots of �,�,� etc)- or sometimes an odd email- but if I copy the text into another program, it appears ok. Very strange. Havent had it ith Quark though (v4). I have downloaded the new Suitcase X1 demo, and will let you know if it has solved the issue.

Cheers,

Chris

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 08:46 PM

What is the benefit of sending native files over PDFs? ever since we started using printers that accepted PDFs I have never had to worry about what I create in...

Seems alot of people still like to send native "collects" of jobs, is there a reason for this?

I would be nervous, especially If I knew my printer was substituting his own font! yikes!

Not dissing you at all, it takes a good pre-press man to actually care to find out what is going on! :-)

That is all

straightedge  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2003, 07:32 PM

I am not using Suitcase any more, it was crashing to much and causing other problems.

We do prefer when people send in PDFs but not all of our clients are that savvy, so a lot of them send in what ever they can. and trust me, I am very careful when replacing client fonts.

has anyone else ever even seen this bug?

btw. to add to the non indesign vs. quark war.
for all jobs built in house we use InDesign.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2003, 10:34 PM

Cool cool, just wondering if there was a benefit to a native collect...

I guess if you have an older rip that has trouble with PDFs? Should be update by now mostly :-)

I think this is a Quark 6 Issue since I have seen this several times myself and we use Font Reserve.

Anyway, good luck!

straightedge  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2003, 11:52 AM

mikellanes what have you been doing to fix this bug? or have you?

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 07:03 PM

native collects... its probably because the designers can quite often not be the sharpest pre-press/ production/ proof readers - the number of times I have had to phone up the printer and discuss things, or more often, the printer has phoned to discuss issues with the files sent or a typo/ copy change/ image change has been ordred by a client, but the files are ready to go from the printer- its easier to get them to do it, than to send a new disk/ isdn new files. My experience at least.

Chris

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 08:25 PM

who in the effing world is actually accepting quark v.6 files? i have yet to find an agency client or printer that's taking them.

anyone, anyone, bueller, anyone...

straightedge  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 11:18 AM

We accept them on a test basis, which is why I'm trying to figure out what is happening with the fonts.

We get about a dozen a week or more.

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 05:29 PM

Lol, I was going to post about this- after dropping �� to be osx native, I thought it was funny(? more ironic) that I still work in Quark 4 all the time, due to keeping the deadlines and screwups to a minimum. I'd love to use it- but I dont know of any printers geared up for it in a completly satisfactory way. Maybe when Quark 8 is out, I'll get rid of 4...

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 06:49 PM

thank you
I might have an idea of what your problem may be... I can't get into too much detail, but it sounds like a unicode thing. Maybe your clients are submitting unicode fonts with their files? Just a wild guess. It is a shame too, InDesign supports unicode flawlessly, while quark must've thought unicode was a dead-end technology... just another opinion on this indesign v xpress non-war.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2003, 07:55 PM

heck, the printers in minneapolis are even asking me to save down to v.4 because they want to be certain there won't be problems / issues. ad agencies and design shops won't even take a v.5 file. they don't accept v.6 either. on the other hand, all printer are taking indesign 2 files some agencies also accept them.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2003, 10:18 PM

who in the effing world is actually accepting quark v.6 files? i have yet to find an agency client or printer that's taking them.

anyone, anyone, bueller, anyone...
Ummm, I have sent out two projects with Quark 6.

I had problems with one (font issue) the second went without an issue...

The first time, the guy and I talked about Panther for about 10 mins. he knew his S@#$

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2003, 10:19 PM

heck, the printers in minneapolis are even asking me to save down to v.4 because they want to be certain there won't be problems / issues. ad agencies and design shops won't even take a v.5 file. they don't accept v.6 either. on the other hand, all printer are taking indesign 2 files some agencies also accept them.
Yah, a few of my printers "accept" InDesign 2 files, but they send them out to a film house.

Not the same.

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2003, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Yah, a few of my printers "accept" InDesign 2 files, but they send them out to a film house.

Not the same.
lucky for you. i'm not well versed in the d.c. market. i do know that mineapolis is known as one of the premier print towns on the u.s. and no quark v.6 support here. as i mentioned, indesign 2 is getting some attention. not an opinion, just an observation.

i also know that i bought v.5 the week it was released. to date i cannot get agencies here to accept files in v.5. some printers will but they still request they be saved down to v.4 rather than handed over in v.5.

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 03:53 PM

Heres an update to my font-glyph issue- this might help the original poster- it would seem that Mail (were I was seeing the problem) displays the glyphs if the font is activated by mail thruogh suitcase, but not if the font is already active. If suitcase isnt running, then the glyphs arent displayed- it useds the system helvetica. It maybe a clash with 2 Helveticas running, but only if the PS helvetica isnt running first- only if it is activated on the fly by an app.

On this note, i think i would like to replace ALL my system fonts with PS examples- is this ok to do? I may leave lucia grande in its normal mac-installed format, but thats about it.

captiva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 08:26 AM

straightedge, any resolution of your glyph problem?

I'm a Quark 6 user/authorized trainer and yesterday received 2 calls from XP6-using clients (designers) reporting the same problem with their files. I'd be very interested in anything you've learned, and have a couple suggestions.

I'm also developing a seminar on OS X for designers and am in the middle of researching how to best manage fonts in OS X with/without third-party software, for classic and native design apps. What a mess.

The person who said the problem stemmed from Quark's non/partial support for Unicode fonts was on the money, I believe. Though good luck trying to get any confirmation of this from Quark. The fact that ID and Illy etc. have no problems with the same fonts that Quark does is one clue.

So too is the clue (among my clients) that the problem child fonts are always one or more of the .dfonts (GillSans, Times, Helvetica, Zapf Dingbats) installed by default by OS X in /System/Library/Fonts or /Library/Fonts. Are all .dfonts also Unicode fonts? Dunno...anyone know?

Per this excellent 18-page .pdf hidden on Apple's site, "Using and Managing Fonts in OS X: A Guide for Creative Professionals" (published June 2003 so it covers Jag quite well):
http://www.apple.com/pro/archive/creative/fonts/

... they explicitly recommend that users (design pros) *replace all .dfonts with their Type1 equivalents* (except Lucida Grande) in both System/Library/Fonts (and they provide screens shots of how to temporarily give yourself root access to do this) and Library/Fonts.

Does this fly in the face of every other third-party OS X book's advice about messing with system fonts? Quite right! Amazing. In hours of googling I found one or two similar recommendations, though, from graphics consultants.

I don't use a font management utility myself and neither were these 2 designers who called me with the Quark 6 font problem. But I hear that Suitcase et.al. fix this problem without the users having to mess with the .dfonts themselves. Feedback on how successful they are (especially when the docs are moved to a Mac with an untouched /whatever/Fonts folders and who aren't running a font management utility) would be greatly appreciated!

cap

straightedge  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 11:47 AM

I haven't really made any headway on figuring this one out. I have never actually had this problem with a dfont. Yesterday I had this happen with optima and futura. I thought the problem may have been conflicting versions being active at the same time so I removed every non-system font and quit out of suitcase, when I re-added the clients fonts it still showed as glyphs in Q6.

I downloaded the PDF you linked to and will further explore the unicode issue.

thanks for the help.

disbellj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 04:47 PM

Concerning the font preview issue in Quark 6, I have done some testing and
found out that, at least in my case, Quark 6 is the culprit. I have
OS10.2.6, Suitcase 10.2.2, Quark 6, Illustrator 10.0.3, Indesign 2.0.2,
etc. all running native. I also have Quark 5, running in Classic, which I
still use in prepress production until Quark 6 gets ironed out. First, I
load my 'Janson Text' font suitcase which contains regular (roman), bold,
bold italic, and italic. Previews look correct in Suitcase, Illustrator,
Indesign, and Quark 5 (Classic). When I have Janson Text roman selected in
Quark 6, and apply a style of Italic, the preview is incorrect, and under
utilities > usage, it says the postscript font is roman, which is
incorrect because the italic postscript font is present. That's the
problem. However, if I choose Janson Text Italic, with no style applied,
it shows up correctly in Quark 6. So, the problem is that Quark 6 is not
applying styles to fonts correctly. BTW, I have cleaned my font cache as
Extensis said to do, but that was not the problem. Quark 6 is the problem.
I suggest using Quark 5 until Quark 6 font issues are worked out/fixed.
Don Isbell

I haven't really made any headway on figuring this one out. I have never actually had this problem with a dfont. Yesterday I had this happen with optima and futura. I thought the problem may have been conflicting versions being active at the same time so I removed every non-system font and quit out of suitcase, when I re-added the clients fonts it still showed as glyphs in Q6.

I downloaded the PDF you linked to and will further explore the unicode issue.

thanks for the help.

ultra-V
Oct 7, 2003, 07:15 PM

Don-
It's a common rule that the "Italic" and "Bold" styles should never be specified in this manner in Quark anyway, regardless of version. Their use has long been problematic for printers.

Always choose the actual Italic or Bold version of the font in the menu. Ideally, Quark would use the Bold version of Janson (if it is loaded) when you click the bold button, but it doesn't always. Often a faux-bold is faked, and it's not pretty. Even when it does pull the postcript bold correctly when bold button is applied, not all printer RIPs support it.

straightedge  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:52 AM

I thought this was a Quark 6 problem too, but I had it happen in Freehand 10 once also.

I am still no closer to a solution. . .

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 11:14 PM

I've just received my copy of QK6 - will install it and contribute as soon as its in.

But I just wanted to say "OMG! WhatTF??!! Thats the longest alphnumeric I've ever come across that i also need to type in! I'm talking about the validation code, of course."

Anyway - let me take a deep breath, say prayers to the pagan gods and sacrifice a goat...

captiva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 07:33 AM

it helps if you draw a thin line between every X number of number/letters, matching the boxes they're supposed to go in.

why they couldn't add spaces just to make it a little easier to enter...with a note 'don't enter the spaces'... is beyond me

cap

Forum Links
Forum Rules