Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSight questions

iSight questions
enk0d
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 03:59 PM

I am in the process of getting a G4 ibook and i was wondering what do you guys and girls really think about the iSight because i was wondering if the cams like the logitech 4000 pro would give a better picture seeing how it proforms so well in low light situations. How about the iSight is it just as good or is it better? Also how much of a difference would there be using a isight on a 933MHz G4 ibook as to using it on a G4 powerbook?

--enk0d

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 06:08 PM

I can't speak about any other web cams, as I haven't used one since my first black and white QuickCam a long long time ago.

But I do have an iSight, and I can tell you that it needs a lot of light. That is probably the only thing that bugs me about it. Everything else is really nice. Great image quality, the mic is great, and of course the form factor is top notch. But I am not a heavy web cam user, so maybe I'm not the best one to answer this.

Footy
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 07:35 PM

Either one of those lap tops should run the iSight just fine.

I will agree that low light can be an issue but the mic makes up for that short coming for me.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 07:58 PM

I had settled on three webcams as best: Logitech NoteBook Pro (highly reviewed), the Fire-I Firewire (also highly reviewed) and the iSight.

On impulse, I bought the iSight, and the auto focus and auto white balancing and image quality are exceptional with at least a bright table lamp close by for illumination.

Using EvoCam for DV clips, the image quality is incredible in any light by adjusting the bright, saturation and your preferred color temps (my iSight tends towards dark exposures and cool colors). The auto focus to 2 inches only adds to the results. No regrets on buying an iSight.

enk0d  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 02:13 PM

Well the only thing that worries me is the fact that it suffers in low light situations but can it really be correct with a lamp? I had one of those in between webcams before i got the 4000 pro and i had a hard time fixing the lighting to get a good picture.

I guess you will need to use your isight outside during the day seeing how it requires so much light as mentioned above. but if the picture quality is as good as you say then yeah you can take a hit on the low light problem. Or am i wrong?

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 05:11 PM

Get the iSight. Even in low-light the image quality is as good as anything else that is out there. Plus it has a few things others don't:

- twist lens open/closed
- tiny green status LED
- very good built-in mic
- small/simple form factor
- clips designed especially for Apple screens

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by enk0d:
Well the only thing that worries me is the fact that it suffers in low light situations but can it really be correct with a lamp? I had one of those in between webcams before i got the 4000 pro and i had a hard time fixing the lighting to get a good picture.

I guess you will need to use your isight outside during the day seeing how it requires so much light as mentioned above. but if the picture quality is as good as you say then yeah you can take a hit on the low light problem. Or am i wrong?
Let me just clarify and say that the low light performance isn't so bad that you need to use the iSight outdoors. If you just have your normal overhead lights on, or a nice lamp on your desk it's fine. But it definitely performs much better the more light you give it. I like to keep my room dark, so when I use the iSight, I usually have to turn on a light or 2. Not a deal breaker, but a personal gripe.

Zimwy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 05:28 PM

Hey,
Does the iSight have a tripod mount? I'm thinking of using it for a stop Motion movie, and my camera would need to have a tripod mount. Thanks!

gabe

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 06:34 PM

No, but this gives it one:

http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=138

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2003, 08:37 AM

If you don't have Panther, iSight requires you to spend another $30 to get iChat AV for Jaguar.

What a rip, Apple. iSight shouold come with iChatAV!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
If you don't have Panther, iSight requires you to spend another $30 to get iChat AV for Jaguar.

What a rip, Apple. iSight shouold come with iChatAV!
The iChat AV beta will run until the end of the year, so hopefully that will give Apple time to see the error of their ways and bundle iChat with the iSight.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 06:39 PM

MacUpdate still has the beta iChat AV dmg up. Grab it quick.

boatrower1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: Philadelphia (San Francisco is my true home, though)
Oct 29, 2003, 08:36 PM

I have an iSight an a 20inch cinema display. Not wanting to glue a piece of plastic to my 1000$ moniter, I wanted to know if anyone has found a clip on connecter. I think I saw some in the PowerMac G5 picture thread...

Has anyone ever gone to ichatters.com to iSight with random people? How is that?

Zach
Dual 2 Ghz G5
20" Cinema Display
500 Mhz Snow iBook (aka portable dvd player)
10 Gig, Rev 1b iPod
iSight
No More Money :(

Forum Links
Forum Rules