Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Running 150' of VGA Cable

Running 150' of VGA Cable
willab
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2004, 11:57 PM

I know this is not the best place to ask this question, but I thought someone might be able to help me. My goal is to setup a projector, and run 150 feet of VGA cable to run presentations on it with a power book. I know I need VGA cables and amplifiers, but I don't what kind or where to get them. Can someone please give me some sort of diagram and recommend an amplifier and cable for this setup.
Thanks,
Will
( Last edited by willab; Feb 9, 2004 at 12:11 AM. )
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

dialo
Senior User
Feb 9, 2004, 12:00 AM

150'?

It might help if you explained exactly why you would need to be that far away from it.

willab  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by dialo:
150'?

It might help if you explained exactly why you would need to be that far away from it.
It is an auditorium and I need the projector in the front close to the screen, probably ceiling mounted, and I need to be in the back with the rest of the controls. This will probably be run through the ceiling.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 12:38 AM

150' is a very long distance for VGA. The image is going to be blurry and looks horrible. You will need a VGA extender. They run a few hundreds dollars but a necessity for this distance.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 12:46 AM

just use a wireless video sender, it's not great quality but you can probably pick one up for less than a video amp. If you're just doing slides and such then the quality drop shouldnt be an issue at all.

We use one of these with a lipstick camera as a catcher cam for the AA baseball team I help produce...

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 01:19 AM

You need to get two of these (75' shielded VGA video cables) and one of these (VGA signal splitter/booster).

Or just buy a custom one of these (150' VGA to 5 BNC breakout cable) if your projector has BNC inputs on it.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2004, 01:48 PM

Quick quiz:
Who invented BNC?
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Mister Elf:
Quick quiz:
Who invented BNC?
The Brits

edit: well damn. I reckon nobody knows for sure.

Exhibit A:

Developed in the late 1940’s as a miniature version of the Type C connector, BNC stands for Bayonet Neill Concelman and is named after Amphenol engineer Carl Concelman.

Exhibit B:

(and here's what http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/v47/n26/deaths.html had to say about the BNC connector)

Dr. Salati, Electrical Engineering
Dr. Octavio M. Salati, professor emeritus of electrical engineering, died on January 27, at the age of 86. After receiving a B.S. in electrical engineering from the Moore School of Electrical Engineering in 1936, he was employed by the Philco Radio and Television Company, the Radio Corporation of America, C. G. Conn Ltd., and Hazeltine Electronics Corporation, before returning to Penn as a research associate in 1948.

During his time at Hazeltine, Dr. Salati received a patent on what was to become known as the BNC connector. The connector was probably the most commonly used connector on cables carrying very high frequency currents between various pieces of equipment in the newly expanding fields of RADAR and microwave communications during and immediately after World War II. The connector is still used extensively in the electronics industry.

While at Penn, Dr. Salati divided his time between teaching and electronics research and made major contributions to the rapidly developing field of Electromagnetic Compatibility, while leading research projects supported by various branches of the Department of Defense. He received his Ph.D. from Penn in 1963 and was appointed professor of electrical engineering in 1975.

In 1972, Dr. Salati was appointed by Dean Humphrey to the position of Director of Continuing Education and Educational TV Systems. This program, which was specially funded, enabled the engineering departments to offer graduate courses to students in plants in outlying areas of the Philadelphia region, and required significant changes in teaching techniques on the part of the faculty who were involved.

In addition to the patent on the coaxial connector, Dr. Salati had four other US patents and one Canadian patent. He was made a Fellow of the IEEE in 1973. Dr. Salati retired in 1984.

Dr. Salati is survived by his wife, Marie; and two children, Lisa and Ronald.

PS, I've also seen reference to BNC as "British Naval Connector" or "British Navy Connector".

So, tell me, who in the hell invented the BNC connector?
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Feb 9, 2004 at 02:16 PM. )

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
SNIP

PS, I've also seen reference to BNC as "British Naval Connector" or "British Navy Connector".

So, tell me, who in the hell invented the BNC connector?
Good Find! Interesting post. I have always heard it referred to as a "Barrel Nut Connector".
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 02:59 PM

Anyone know how to find out who holds the patent for the BNC connector?

This is puzzling.

It's just a high-frequency connector. Why all the mystique and elusiveness about its origin? I mean, who really cares? Besides me?

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2004, 05:09 PM

Well i was under the impression that the Royal Navy developed it...damned high school classes.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Forum Links
Forum Rules