Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Green Screen When Playing Burned DVD

Green Screen When Playing Burned DVD
boatrower1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: Philadelphia (San Francisco is my true home, though)
May 20, 2004, 12:44 PM

Hi,

I have been copying my DVDs and just noticed that when I try to play them on my 500mhz iBook using the included DVD player with 10.3, the screen is completely green. The weird thing is that the audio still works. Even weirder, when I insert a real dvd, it works fine. After withdrawing the real DVD from the machine, and placing the exact same burned DVD that didn't work the original time, it works fine now.

I know that the movies work fine in normal dvd players, and even work with VLC. Even though I have found some annoying but effective work arounds, I would still like to figure out why I get the "green screen of death" when I put in the burned DVD.

Thanks,

Zach
Dual 2 Ghz G5
20" Cinema Display
500 Mhz Snow iBook (aka portable dvd player)
10 Gig, Rev 1b iPod
iSight
No More Money :(

threestain
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 02:31 PM

This is to do with the decryption of the DVD - the copy obviously doesn't have the correct keys (someone with more knowledge help here! ) so the copy appears as green, due to an exact copy of the scrambled video code. However the original dvd has the correct keys and so is displayed fine, and once the computer has the correct keys it will play the copy.

By the way does it happen with VLC?

boatrower1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by threestain:
This is to do with the decryption of the DVD - the copy obviously doesn't have the correct keys (someone with more knowledge help here! ) so the copy appears as green, due to an exact copy of the scrambled video code. However the original dvd has the correct keys and so is displayed fine, and once the computer has the correct keys it will play the copy.

By the way does it happen with VLC?
I think that it has the correct keys, because sometimes it plays. And yes it always works with VLC. Is there some different way I should burn these movies? Right now I am using MacDVDBackup -> Dvd2Onex -> Toast Titanium. This has seemed (so far) to be easy and relatively efficient. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Zach
Dual 2 Ghz G5
20" Cinema Display
10 Gig, Rev 1b iPod
iSight

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 21, 2004, 10:28 AM

Assuming you actually purchased DVD2OneX, you might take it up with them. I'd be curious to hear if you get a resolution on this.

boatrower1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Assuming you actually purchased DVD2OneX, you might take it up with them. I'd be curious to hear if you get a resolution on this.
Well I will take the fifth about purchasing DVD2OneX. But I think it is a moot point because the program is working fine, by the evidence that the dvds work on an external player, and on VLC.

I think that it has something to do with the included DVD player with Panther. It must be able to recognize my burned discs. VLC is a fine work around but kind of annoying. Does anyone know of another DVD player app for Panther? I tried looking in version tracker but didn't find anything worth downloading.
Dual 2 Ghz G5
20" Cinema Display
10 Gig, Rev 1b iPod
iSight

Forum Links
Forum Rules