Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Finishing 24p with 5.1 audio? Help!

Finishing 24p with 5.1 audio? Help!
makkystyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 09:17 PM

Okay I need some advice. The basics:

24p feature shot on DVX100A
Edited in FCP 4 @23.98
Mixed in Pro Tools in Dolby 5.1

I will soon have my final mix session for the audio. I then will need to re-sync this to the video. My question is:

How do I finish this to SD DV with the 5.1 audio synced and intact? Can FCP work with 6 channels of audio? Can DVDSP 2? I would really like to be able to finish the project myself without having to spend any money at a post-production house.

Any help in figuring out this workflow would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2004, 09:33 PM

I am not an expert by any means, but a.pack can encode 5.1 to ac3. I do not know if that helps or not.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

muchachotron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 02:45 PM

damn, is that all your own personal gear? you've got quit a rig there.

use a.pack (comes with dvd sp i think) to turn the 6 channels of audio into your preferred surround format. i'm not sure about bringing it back into fcp at that point, but final cut can certainly run 6 tracks of audio layered (though i don't know if they can be sent to discrete channels w/in fcp).

i purchased a motu 828mkii and i've got dp4 for doing surround work synced to video (i wish i could afford a protools surround setup, i used to use pro tools le and its still my favorite daw but dp seems to be more in my range right now, and has all the features i need - excellent surround tools). i have yet to get my surround speakers, though. what are you using? i bought and returned a set of klipsch promedia 5.1 ultras to test out the surround features, but i intend to get some active monitors and a sub when i can drop the money. i was looking at krk and event, but every time i commence researching the variety out there i have a hard time deciding. i may just get something like the m-audio lx4 for starting out, since i don't really foresee getting any monetary return on my investment for a while.

i've been interested in the dvx100a, what do you think of it? are you using the film gamma feature along with the 24p mode? i haven't compared 24p to 30p, but a friend of mine used to have a little jvc dv matchbox camera and the 30p video captured with it was beautiful (even with only 1 ccd). the only thing that concerns me on the dvx is the limited zoom. i wish it was at least 16x or so. have you compared the dvx to any of the other higher-end cameras? it looks like it still beats out the new xl2.

sorry to hijack your thread a bit, you've got an excellent sounding production setup (i'm jealous!)

- d

Forum Links
Forum Rules