Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" PB going from 256 to 768Mb RAM help

15" PB going from 256 to 768Mb RAM help
funkysmurf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 10:46 AM

Hi everyone,

i have a 15" PB (1GHz, 256 ram), and need advice on whether an extra 512 stick will help with the following...

Whenever i have say 4-5 safari windows open and another app, and then use expose to switch between windows...the motion of switching is not smooth. It's pretty jerky and makes my system seem slow. It's a bit hard to explain, but the windows kinda jerk into the corners when i feel this should be smooth.

This also happens if i go to display the dock (i have it on "auto-hide") and move the mouse over items in it. The magnifier kinda jumps over a few icons and lags behind the mouse pointer.

Mind you this is all smooth if i have no programs loaded, or just 1 or 2 windows open of any single application.

My assumption is that more ram will fix this but if any of you could confirm this that would be great. This way i won't spend money for nothing.

Cheers
if at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not
for you

vita_kk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 10:48 AM

Obviously 256RAM is not enough and I suspect this would be the cause of all your problems. The more program you opened, the more memory it sucks up, plus the fact that OS X is a memory eater. So my advice is go ahead and do the upgrade.

Just my 2 cents...

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 11:35 AM

You'll notice brand new life in your machine after even a 256MB upgrade. OS X needs atleast 512MB of RAM to be used on a normal basis (ie. having a few apps open like iTunes, Safari, and Word). That being said there is a huge sale at outpost.com for 1GB RAM chips, there's a thread here about it too, you should check it out (only about $40 more then a 512MB chip and twice the RAM).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

funkysmurf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 12:24 PM

Yep been reading about that. Unfortunately they don't ship internationally.
Wish i had relatives in the us.

So do you people who have 512+MB RAM experience any of what i've described in the original post? If not then i'll definitely buy another stick.
if at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not
for you

Forum Links
Forum Rules