Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > About to completely switch to a G5 but have a few Qs

About to completely switch to a G5 but have a few Qs
funkysmurf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 10:11 AM

Hello everyone.

Well i've owned a powerbook for about 11 months now and have learned to appreciate the beauty of OSX over windows even though it's not nearly as fast as my current desktop pc. You can't really compare a mobile 1GHz machine with a desktop A64 3500 (2.2GHz).

I've got enough software to completely ditch the pc now, but as always there are a few things that worry me a bit. So before i sell my PB and get a dual G5 i have a few questions :-)

1. Is there a way to configure my logitech mouse to have the back and forward buttons work in Safari or Finder?

2. I have a 4.1 sound setup (creative fps2000). Will i be able to plug this into my G5 PM? Will i get surround sound when watching DVDs and such like i do now in windows?

3. I'm keeping my lcd which is a Benq FP2091 20". Due to limited space in my room i'll be getting a digital tv tuner to watch TV on my mac. Will this be an issue considering i have the sound setup mentioned above?

4. I'd like to record champions league matches etc. with my digital tv tuner and then burn them onto DVD. Is there software that comes with the operating system that will let me edit out the ads and such?

If you could help me with these questions it would be great.

Thanks
if at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not
for you

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 11:09 AM

1. Check logitech's website for the drivers (test it out on your powerbook to confirm you like the setup), it shouldn't be a problem. I think there is one model that isn't supported, but you should be fine.

2. For surround sound on a mac you need an external box or an m-audio pci card. built in sound is standard stereo or optical output if you have a reciever that will take it.

3. Shouldn't be a problem.

4. If you get an Eye-TV product (elgato.com) they recommend that you get Toast to burn directly to DVD, but it is possible without it. It has its own editor to remove ads.

Hope that helps.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

funkysmurf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 11:54 AM

Thanks for that. I've got my mouse working as i want it now.
If i don't get surround sound...will the stereo automatically split to the 4 speakers though? I'm hoping this is the case. This is how it works on the powerbook so i guess it shouldn't be an issue with a PM.

Cheers
for you

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by funkysmurf:
Thanks for that. I've got my mouse working as i want it now.
If i don't get surround sound...will the stereo automatically split to the 4 speakers though? I'm hoping this is the case. This is how it works on the powerbook so i guess it shouldn't be an issue with a PM.

Cheers
Normal surround sound is encoded into a standard 2 channel stereo track. Odds are good that your speaker setup has a built-in dolby surround decoder, so feeding the standard stereo audio track will get you surround sound with no problems. If you speakers can also decode dolby digital or dts, you need a way to get digital audio to the system. On the powermac, you'd use the optical out for that. If your spekaers support digial surround sound and have a different input, you need a box that can convert from one format to another. This is cheaply accomplished with a quick web search or trip to radio shack. In general, I'd suggest that you answer your questions by plugging the hardware into your powerbook. It is the same OS, so it is going to behave pretty much the same way. The only exception is digital audio outs, which you don't have unless you have a 17" PB.

--sam

funkysmurf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 09:46 AM

Well i'm happy to report that i have my shiny new PM! Wohooo!!

Everything functions just the way i want it. All i have to figure out now is how to edit my EyeTv recordings and put them on a DVD so my girlfriend can watch it at home :-)
for you

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2005, 09:58 AM

Well i'm happy to report that i have my shiny new PM! Wohooo!!

Everything functions just the way i want it. All i have to figure out now is how to edit my EyeTv recordings and put them on a DVD so my girlfriend can watch it at home :-)
iMovie and iDVD?

funkysmurf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 10:10 AM

Those applications don't seem to let me import mpeg2 files
for you

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 10:24 AM

When in eyetv go to the menu Windows -> Programs then click once on the show you want to edit and then on the edit icon. This will open a new window for you to edit it in. I usually switch the setting from normal to fine in the bottom left. Then all you have to do is click on the pair of triangles and it will place them in the timeline for you to move around.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

funkysmurf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by SSharon:
When in eyetv go to the menu Windows -> Programs then click once on the show you want to edit and then on the edit icon. This will open a new window for you to edit it in. I usually switch the setting from normal to fine in the bottom left. Then all you have to do is click on the pair of triangles and it will place them in the timeline for you to move around.
Legend
for you

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2005, 12:05 PM

Those applications don't seem to let me import mpeg2 files
I found your solution for $20:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/mpeg2playback/
.................................................. ..........
Transcoding video content
� Now your MPEG-2 video content can be imported into QuickTime and exported to other formats such as MPEG-4, the new international standard for Internet media, QuickTime Movie, or DV Stream, to name a few. The QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component allows the transcode of MPEG-2 video from both multiplexed and elementary video streams. By converting your MPEG-2 video content into other formats, it can be used in new forums, such as on the web, on CD-ROM, or on DV tape.
.................................................. ..........

Forum Links
Forum Rules