Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Anyone else replace their big iPod with a shuffle?

Anyone else replace their big iPod with a shuffle?
maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 11:36 PM

I listed my 40 GB 4G iPod on eBay today. I just don't use it anymore since I got my shuffle -- it seems so big and clunky to carry around now. I really only use my iPod in the gym and on the subway or walking around sometimes. Anyone else do the same?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 01:15 AM

I kind of did the opposite. I bought a Shuffle first then decided to return it for a new mini. IMO the Shuffle was awesome. I would've kept it if there was a way for me to jump whole albums/folders instead of just crawling through song by song. I'm very picky about my music and I usually listen to a certain song/album for each mood I'm in. My $150 car head unit can skip through folders (it's mp3 compatible) so I think Apple should be able to do it as well.

mawsdz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 02:47 AM

Added 512mb shuffle
discarding (selling) 15g 3g
Added 40g 4g photo for a sweet price! $340 refreshed

I find that I loan out the shuffle for other people to listen to spoken word content more then I use it myself. go figure.

jmcfadden06
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 01:45 PM

I just got the 1gb shuffle and i couldn't be happier w/ it. I used it on my morning jog for the 1st time. I plan on using it for working out or for when im on the go. I still plan on using my old 20gb w/ my home stereo, car, and for business trips.

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 01:58 PM

I didn't replace, just augmented:

40GB iPod - for long trips, commutes

It's nice to have instant portable access to all your music, and to be able to control and pick what comes on next.

512MB Shuffle - for the gym mostly, other times when I want some music, but don't need all of it.

The Shuffle is the best iPod accessory yet...
cpac

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 02:07 PM

I did the same 2 days after they announced the shuffle. I put my 15 gig iPod on ebay and ordered a shuffle.

I am soooooo much happier with the shuffle as the way I listened to songs on the 15 gig really killed the battery.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 02:14 PM

I still love my iPod photo (60GB) but the shuffle is great for the commute to work or at the gym. It hasn't replaced my photo but I can't remember the last time I used my iPod mini, which I'm now seriously think of giving to my Dad when I see him in a few months.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
I still love my iPod photo (60GB) but the shuffle is great for the commute to work or at the gym. It hasn't replaced my photo but I can't remember the last time I used my iPod mini, which I'm now seriously think of giving to my Dad when I see him in a few months.
Why in the world would you have all 3?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

maxintosh  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 03:14 PM

Yeah, all 3 seems like a little bit of overkill.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 03:26 PM

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm going to pass on the mini.

The 60 is perfect for my needs as I have about 45GB of music and the photo feature is nice when visiting family and friends. The direct transfer coming up makes it that much better.

I used to use the mini at the gym and sometimes when I took the subway to work. Now, I'm happy with my shuffle and the photo.

My g/f has a mini and I got her a 512 shuffle but, for now, she still prefers her mini.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mawsdz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 04:26 PM

I also can't believe how GOOD the shuffle sounds. It's really convenient to carry that thing around your neck with favorites on it for "quick" listens whenever convenient.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
I didn't replace, just augmented:

40GB iPod - for long trips, commutes

It's nice to have instant portable access to all your music, and to be able to control and pick what comes on next.

512MB Shuffle - for the gym mostly, other times when I want some music, but don't need all of it.

The Shuffle is the best iPod accessory yet...
This is exactly what I did for my 15GB iPod. I also got the shuffle for taking files to/from home & work.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by mawsdz:
I also can't believe how GOOD the shuffle sounds. It's really convenient to carry that thing around your neck with favorites on it for "quick" listens whenever convenient.
I don't know why but my shuffle sounds 10x better than my 15 gig iPod did. I don't know if it does some sort of equalizing or the earphones are better.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 28, 2005, 05:00 PM

I ordered the 6 GB mini to replace my 15 GB iPod, but I may get a shuffle to replace my USB pen drive. The shuffle is OK, but I prefer having a screen for my primary music player. A 1-2 line LCD would have sufficed for me, but I do agree with Apple's decision to leave it out.

I'm happy the mini lasts 26 hours though. 8 hours on the iPod was a bit limiting in some situations.

jdogg99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 09:51 PM

I sold my original 5 gigger once I bought my 1 gig Shuffle. The old one was in great shape, but like others have noted, the Shuffle is perfect for how I listen to my music. The fact that I have a Powerbook helps, because I'm never that far from my computer (and I can easily and quickly change the songs on the iPod if needed). I definitely couldn't justify having 2 iPods though, even though my original one still worked great. The Shuffle is WAY better for working out with, too. I put it in my pocket while running, and it's so light I don't notice it bumping around.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 11:45 PM

I replaced my 40GB 3rd Gen with a 4GB Mini - I found that the top songs I liked only took up about 1gb, and why carry all that extra weight???

Oh, and the Green looked cool too!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2005, 12:48 AM

i don't have a big ipod but i've used my shuffle for a few weeks now and have no desire to 'move up', even with a $200 4G model. i really like its tiny, carry anywhere size.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Sickofwaiting
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2005, 03:15 PM

I had a 20gig G3 and dumped it for the 1GB shuffle, I never had the 20gig full and always found myself putting newly ripped music on there for about a week and replacing it all the time with fresh tracks. The shuffle was just a better fit. Apple hit this one right on the head. The shuffle has a nice little niche.
waiting this long for a new 15 will drive
anyone insane

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 03:53 PM

I augmented my lineup as well:

3G 30GB in the car, with a power adaptor (battery is pretty much gone)

Shuffle in my pocket -- all of the time

Before, I had to make a conscious decision to bring my ipod or now, now I always have it with me. I think that especially with these latest updates, all the ipods are great values. I can understand why someone would have all three because each are perfect for certain usage.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 04:12 PM

oops, double-post

bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2005, 04:26 PM

Hey maxintosh

I've got 30gb 3G, 1gb Shuffle, and a New GREEN 6gb Mini(Kids Gift).

I use the Shuffle to carry around with AudioBooks, and GREEN 6gb Mini in the Car, and the 30gb at home connected to a McIntosh(tube)REAL AMP... hahaha

Great Times!!!

Brad
Pismo 400 OS X 10.3.9, SuperDrive, 1gb Mem, 80gb HD.
New GREEN 6gb Mini!!! 1gb Shuffle, and 30gb iPod.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 09:06 PM

I just purchased a Shuffle. I don't think it will replace my iPod photo. It will compliment it more. It's for those times when I'm going to be outside in cold temps or in rugged terrain or working out. I don't want to bring my iPod Photo anywhere with a potential of it getting broken. I could handle 149 easier than I could handle the price of a new iPod Photo.

for example I'm going Winter camping this weekend. I don't want to bring my iPod photo to someplace that is going to be extremely cold.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2005, 11:01 AM

Didn't replace, but rather augmented my 20gig-er. Mostly use that at home connected to the stereo, and use the shuffle for commuting and such.

c

Leo the 3rd
Mar 3, 2005, 04:24 PM

My was an augmentation:

1GB shuffle for travel to work and in the office
40GB photo for vacation trips and soon for download of photos directly (thanks to Apple's adapter).
I also have a 15GB 3G and original 5GB 1G models. I use those for friends and family who are curious about the iPod and what it can do. This typically leads them to want to purchase their own iPod.

mawsdz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2005, 08:24 PM

Have any of you bought an Airport Express? After we purchased one of those it pretty much wiped out my home use of the iPod. I love that Express!!

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 08:50 PM

If the shuffle were available, I probably would have gotten that, the big iPod is nice, but all i ever do is listen to my playlist randomly, and maybe a max of 50 songs at a time...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 5, 2005, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by mawsdz:
Have any of you bought an Airport Express? After we purchased one of those it pretty much wiped out my home use of the iPod. I love that Express!!
I never use the iPod at home personally. I am thinking of getting the Express though.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 12:53 PM

I picked up 2 shuffles Wednesday night at Best Buy. One went to my wife and she's already hooked... It's great to hear that "Where has THIS been all my life" happiness from someone who's usually pretty technology-averse.

The other shuffle is still sitting in my kitchen unopened. I'm trying to justify keeping it, in addition to my 40 GB iPod photo. Reading this thread has helped some. Originally the 2nd unit was going to my mother, but she picked one up the day before on her own.

Just the thought of my 58-year-old mom with an iPod has got to be one of the signs of the apocalypse.

God help us all.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2005, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
I picked up 2 shuffles Wednesday night at Best Buy. One went to my wife and she's already hooked... It's great to hear that "Where has THIS been all my life" happiness from someone who's usually pretty technology-averse.

The other shuffle is still sitting in my kitchen unopened. I'm trying to justify keeping it, in addition to my 40 GB iPod photo. Reading this thread has helped some. Originally the 2nd unit was going to my mother, but she picked one up the day before on her own.

Just the thought of my 58-year-old mom with an iPod has got to be one of the signs of the apocalypse.

God help us all.
That is good to hear. My mom is the same way. I got her a 4 gig iPod last year for christmas and she loves it.

you never know it could be a sign of the apocalypse
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

MickS
Senior User
Mar 7, 2005, 05:05 AM

Have a shuffle for the gym but still need the iPod 'cos I've got it hooked up to the car headunit and its a much better source of music than the shuffle would be.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2005, 03:29 PM

Just got a 1GB shuffle and have to admit that I see myself using my 20GB 3rd gen a lot less now. I really push the mini if somebody doesn't have an iPod already, but if you already have an iPod, the shuffle is the perfect compliment for those times when your exercising, or want to slip it in your pocket without worrying about the bulk. I love all iPods but got to say that this shuffle is pretty damn cool.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 10:28 PM

personally i like flipping through the songs with the included screen of the regular ipod.

oh what the heck. i know i would never use my ipod again if i got a shuffle.
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules