Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Need Photoshop Help

Need Photoshop Help
PMDaly
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 01:09 AM

I'm relatively new to photoshop and digital imaging. Well, ok fine... brand new. I have been trying to figure out how to create This Image but haven't found any concrete help yet. For those that don't want to click on the link yet, it looks posterized... with some layering maybe. I'm not completely sure. I have used the posterize command in photoshop, but it really doesn't give me what i want at all. I would like to create a cartoony look in a sense. If there is a good online tutorial please leave a link for me, or if you have the time to contribute it would be appreciated greatly! I've been trying to figure out how to do this for a while now. Thank you in advance.
-PMDaly

Thorzdad
Feb 7, 2005, 09:53 AM

You're probably correct about the posterization. But it all depends on what sort of image the artist started with. He/she may have started with a fairly high-contrast B/W image. The glow is probably done by using the Outer Glow filter.

Another possibility is that this image began, or spent a good deal of time in, Adobe Illustrator, too. There's quite a bit about this image that looks slightly vector-ish. The eyes, especially.

PMDaly  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 03:32 PM

What exactly are vectors or is vectorizing (as far as photoshop is concerned)? Oh and here are some other examples of similar pictures.
Example 1
Example 2
Are there any online resources that would help me figure this stuff out?

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 03:56 PM

definately an illustrator job, overlayed on top of a gradient.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
definately an illustrator job, overlayed on top of a gradient.
Ditto.

PMDaly  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 09:42 PM

Could anyone give me some tips on how to do this sort of technique? Or at least direct me to a site/page. Thank you.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 11:11 PM

There's no filter that's going to make it happen if that's what you mean. It takes some skills. Place the scanned photo in Illustrator and start drawing with the pen tools. It'd work better with a tablet.

PMDaly  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 11:21 PM

I realize there is no single command/filter that creates this. I'm sure it incorporates several. Maybe 5 or 6. What i'm doing right now is just using the pen tool with multiple layers... but it's very time consuming. Just looking for tips.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2005, 09:52 AM

It doesn't incorporate any filters actually. Drop the image into illustrator, lock it down, and trace it with the pen tool. Like tracing pictures out of a comic book when you were little, same thing. The backgrounds are just light gray to white gradients.

MacMerc.com
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2005, 09:01 PM

You might find some the layer effects in this tutorial helpful...something I've been tinkering with for a long time
================
Rick Yaeger:

[email protected]

MacMerc
================

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 10:19 AM

you could drop it into flash and do a vector trace and then clean it up in illustrator.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2005, 11:26 AM

I hope this helps...

you need to turn in gray the picture in Photoshop and then play with the contrast tool until you get a perfect detail picture. with that picture saved you will need to import it on freehand (you can use Illustrator if you want thoug) with the pentool you trace all you see and then save it in group mode. erase the black and white picture and then save it in EPS mode and import it on Photoshop and finish your work playing with the filters and effects, at the end you will get what your looking for, I did.
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Forum Links
Forum Rules