Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need help turning off Sleep Light

Need help turning off Sleep Light
PMDaly
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 04:21 AM

My room is pitch black when I go to bed, but that damn sleep light keeps pulsing. I would rather not have to shut my PB off in order to turn this light off. Any suggestions as far as how to turn off the pulsing light while the PB is in sleep mode?
-P

betoranaldi
Apr 20, 2005, 08:57 AM

As far as i know this is hardware coded... you will not be able to turn it off.

I cover mine with a towel at night

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2005, 09:45 AM

A piece of Black electrician tape works!

PMDaly  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 01:41 PM

Heh, well I guess a towel will do for now. Thanks guys.
-P

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 02:15 PM

It could probably be turned off if you knew what you were doing and tinkered with the firmware.

One of those things that's probably possible, but few people have the skills to do it.

PMDaly  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 06:47 PM

Well it's not a severe issue, just a little annoying if i'm surfing the web right before i go to sleep and go to put my PB on the table next to me... i can still see the slow strobe of the sleep light. Towel, will do.
-P

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 08:51 PM

Try having that light, a PowerMate and a RadioShark! I have to unplug it all or I can't get to sleep!

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
Try having that light, a PowerMate and a RadioShark! I have to unplug it all or I can't get to sleep!
I've got a Linux box with a rather aftermarket case in my room, bright blue light tube and everything. This box also has a 110 CFM CPU fan (55 decibels). I've also got a Firewire cable with a blue LED in it, which is actually pretty bright. I have no problem hitting the sack.

Sounds like you guys need some help getting to sleep.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

PMDaly  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2005, 01:56 AM

Maybe, I don't mind static light... but it starts to get annoying when it pulses.
-P

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 21, 2005, 02:14 AM

people always brag about how long they kept their powerbook/mac on, but is it really that necessary? is there anything wrong with shutting down and starting it up a few times a day? i'll be using the powerbook frequently, but i dont see a need for keeping it on when i sleep. dont the powerbooks heat up easily too?
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

joshnyberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2005, 02:31 AM

The sleep light can be disabled internally, but not with software. Could be more trouble than it's worth, though.
Powerbook Repair Shop: G4 parts and repairs at very reasonable prices.

www.powerbookrepairshop.com

giggs11
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
people always brag about how long they kept their powerbook/mac on, but is it really that necessary? is there anything wrong with shutting down and starting it up a few times a day? i'll be using the powerbook frequently, but i dont see a need for keeping it on when i sleep. dont the powerbooks heat up easily too?
I never understood the need to keep it on for weeks at a time either. With updates and all, I usually end up rebooting around once a week anyways. And I'll turn it off completely if I'm gone for the weekend or something. I know its cool to bug Windows users and all, but its just not something I get into.

As for the light, its going to be tough to turn it off. Like others said, I just throw an old t-shirt or towel over it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules