Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Please help with wireless home set up

Please help with wireless home set up
trip
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 03:33 PM

I have DSL cable. My modem sits in my living room.

I have just built an office in the next room over. I plan to buy an Airport extreme base station, which will allow me to run the internet on my computer in the office. Note: I want to keep the modem in the living room so my xbox can stay connected to 'Xbox LIVE'.

Now here lies the problem. I would like to be able to port my computer to my TV. How can I do this ? Can anyone help ? I know I can use Airport Express with Airfoil to pump the music over, but what about video ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Please & Thanks,

edit: I should mention I'm ordering a new iMac with Tiger, so please ignore my sig when providing help.

Thanks,
( Last edited by trip; May 3, 2005 at 05:59 PM. )
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

f1000
Professional Poster
May 8, 2005, 09:58 AM

trip  (op)
Forum Regular
May 8, 2005, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by f1000

I don't get it ?

neither can send video wireless, correct ?
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

f1000
Professional Poster
May 8, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by trip
I don't get it ?

neither can send video wireless, correct ?
Video is just another form of data. As long as you have enough bandwidth, you can send video via a network be it Ethernet or Wi-Fi. For example, I've streamed DVD in real time over Wi-Fi.

Standard definition DVD requires about 6 Mbps of bandwidth. 802.11g can handle this easily.

All you need is a receiving device that can take this data and convert it to a form displayable on television. ROKU and Elgato both offer products that can do this.

Please READ their product information for more details:

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/faq.php
http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...ehome_wireless

trip  (op)
Forum Regular
May 8, 2005, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
Video is just another form of data. As long as you have enough bandwidth, you can send video via a network be it Ethernet or Wi-Fi. For example, I've streamed DVD in real time over Wi-Fi.

Standard definition DVD requires about 6 Mbps of bandwidth. 802.11g can handle this easily.

All you need is a receiving device that can take this data and convert it to a form displayable on television. ROKU and Elgato both offer products that can do this.

Please READ their product information for more details:

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/faq.php
http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...ehome_wireless
Thanks.

masmas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 06:46 PM

i have a frined that uses his xbox as a media center jsut like the rokulabs ands elgato except its not wi-fi but over ethernet. He can brwose files on his computer and play movies, music, pics etc on his tv through the xbox

Forum Links
Forum Rules