Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari/Other internet apps not working with AOL

Safari/Other internet apps not working with AOL
JJF182
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 11:38 PM

Hello there,
I'm a new Mac 'switcher' from Windows; just purchased my new Dual Core 2.0Ghz G5 at the new Apple Store in Brea yesterday. I've got AOL for OS X working, and the default AOL browser works fine (I'm on it right now as I type this), however any other internet browsers (Safari, Camino, etc) will not load webpages. Anything that I'm missing here? Hopefully some of you can help this new and confused ex-windoze user

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

triskele
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2005, 12:28 AM

Please don't take offense, but why are you using AOL? I'd wager that 95% of big name internet service providers are better than AOL. In today's day and age AOL just isn't necessary. If you have broadband in your area, you're probably paying for that in addition to AOL and for what. OSX comes with a great browser as well as pretty stand up mail and chat clients, so what do you really need AOL for? Sorry but this is a legitimate question and I've been waiting for an opportunity to ask ever since broadband hit, and I'd like to hear your take.

For the record I was a windoze user up until a few years ago(switched to Linux), and I've been on a mac for a week now. And AOL was removed from my house years before I ditched windows just because you can get the same, if not better, functionality from a service provider costing half as much(this goes for dial-up, but with broadband you still have to pay for AOL on top of your service so I guess it's kinda valid there too) and applications that either came with your computer or that you can legitimately download for FREE.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 10:43 AM

Jeremy, I still have AOL v10.3.7 on my DP 800/10.4.3 and it works without fault. I have no problems, Safari conflicts etc.

There may be reasons to dump AOL, but incompatibility with OS X is not one of them (IMNHO).

But since your machine is brand new, why not call Apple? You did, after all, pay them for support (90 days at least).
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2005, 02:13 PM

Jeremy F.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2005, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

Applejockey- It seems you and I are having the same type of problem - have you actually found a solution to fixing it?

Pendragon- That's strange; my internet doesn't work at all with 10.3.7; with 10.3 I'm at least able to browse non-secure websites with the AOHell browser. I've actually called Apple tech support and the guy was on the phone with me for over an hour trying to get the problem fixed. Nothing worked. I'll probably take a trip to the Apple Store tonight just to see if they can help me at all.

Triskele- I totally agree with you, unfortunatly the other people in my house seem to like AOHell. If I had it my way I would have had it out of here years ago. I think it's time now more than ever though.

AOHell tech support is next to f-ing useless, I don't know where they hire they're people, but every time I call (called 5 times this week so far) I get the same B.S., that its Apple's software, blah blah blah. I'm not paying $50 a month to be treated like I'm an idiot.

Verizon DSL looks promising, and seems like a good deal - anyone have any experience with them?
( Last edited by Jeremy F.; Nov 20, 2005 at 02:25 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules