Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > PC Encoding

PC Encoding
willab
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2003, 11:50 PM

I would like to build a PC to use for encoding video to Mpeg2, I would still like to use iMovie and FCP to edit on my Mac though. Can I do tthis by networking them with firewire? I do not want any menus for the burning, I want it to auto-play. Any suggestions for PC encoding and burning? How long will a two hour video take to encode?
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

willab  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2003, 10:34 PM

Is this worth doing, will their be a dramatic speed difference compared to that of my eMac 800mhz? Here are possible specs for the machine http://homepage.mac.com/willabele/comp.pdf
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by willab:
Is this worth doing, will their be a dramatic speed difference compared to that of my eMac 800mhz? Here are possible specs for the machine http://homepage.mac.com/willabele/comp.pdf
It would be better if all you want to do is use a seperate computer to encode your video and keep your emac resources free. Not sure about the actual speeds you'll will get with the pc, but probably will be faster than the eMac. Is that only 128MB of ram? Get more if it is.

As for networking over firewire, I think their is a product that does this. http://www.unibrain.com/home/

willab  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by buddhabelly:
It would be better if all you want to do is use a seperate computer to encode your video and keep your emac resources free. Not sure about the actual speeds you'll will get with the pc, but probably will be faster than the eMac. Is that only 128MB of ram? Get more if it is.

As for networking over firewire, I think their is a product that does this. http://www.unibrain.com/home/
No, the RAM is 768. It looks like I may get an extra Mac for free soon, so I most likely will not do this.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 02:38 AM

No, the RAM is 768. It looks like I may get an extra Mac for free soon, so I most likely will not do this.
I thought it might have been more, but on the pdf all I could see was 64x64.

I had a similar idea when I bought my powerbook, however, I've had troubles figuring out how to do this efficiently, and my tower and monitor take up tons of space. So, since I bought a MOTU 828mkII, my powerbook has really turned into my main and only machine, and I generally try to work it so I encode and render over night, and then have the scheduler shut down the computer when it's done.

willab  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by buddhabelly:
I thought it might have been more, but on the pdf all I could see was 64x64.

I had a similar idea when I bought my powerbook, however, I've had troubles figuring out how to do this efficiently, and my tower and monitor take up tons of space. So, since I bought a MOTU 828mkII, my powerbook has really turned into my main and only machine, and I generally try to work it so I encode and render over night, and then have the scheduler shut down the computer when it's done.
how do you do this? What software are you using? I have 768 in the eMac, the PC would have 2 512s.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

surgestrip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 10:30 PM

if the pc has winxp it supports 1394 networks w/ no extra soft
if your encoding on the pc use TMPGenc athlon at about 1800+ w/
7200 rpm drive going from dv to mpg2 probably get u realtime encoding

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 02:59 PM

how do you do this? What software are you using? I have 768 in the eMac, the PC would have 2 512s.
nevermind. It's just a comination of exhaustion and misreading the PDF you posted.

Forum Links
Forum Rules